I don't want to start an argument here or anything but I have noticed that many people who dislike the N900 was because of the "lack of apps" - now I can understand if they were only downloading from the Ovi Store (which I think we all can agree is a joke - it should be renamed to the Ovi Pum and Pop Store). But if you enable repos like maemo.org, -testing, -dev then there's more than enough Apps to choose from.

On my N900 for games I have; Angry Birds, Asphalt5, Jurassic Coaster 3D, Descent, DRIVER, SNES Emulator, Duke Nukem 3D, Giant Fighting Robots, Hexen 2, NES emulator, Jagged Alliance, Kroll, N64 Emulator, Need for Speed, Numpty Physics, Oregon Trail, PS2 Emulator (EDIT: Meant to saw PS1), Doom, Quake 2, Quake 3, Lamar Research Flight Simulators, Starcraft, Warcraft II, TuxRace, Wallenstein 3D (I left out the boring ones like chess)

I also have 2 dictionary applications, 2 translator applications, and as stellerium program for references.

As for graphics, I can view RAR photos, I have numerous excellent image editors (including GIMP), and even the pressure sensitive mypaint.

I have numerous navigation programs, and if I want to use Google maps I just go to the Google maps web site.

I find the camera to be great for a cell phone, and I also have 2 panoramic photo applications (one was free). With FCam it is very easy for me to adjust the camera settings.

Network options are ridiculous; VNC servers and (numerous) clients, Google Chrome, Firefox, Iceweasel, Macuco, Opera, Pidgin, 2 BitTorrent clients, the list can go on and on.

For office type applications I have K Office, Open Office, PFD editor and reader, AbiWord, Gnumeric for spreadsheets, I can't think of anything more I would need.

I have so many system info apps and other utilities it is crazy!

And on top of that I have DOSBox, BlueMaemo, and Debian LXDE? And if that's not enough I can dual boot into (admittedly) slower version of NITDroid.

I don't understand what more someone would want... can anyone explain?

Last edited by xxxxts; 2011-02-02 at 13:01.

The Following 54 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
I don't get it either... I guess that most of them are trolls and the rest are after shiny glossy cute little nothing apps.

The N900 is the best damn device I've ever bought

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to zifis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Most of the "haters" are probably Astroturfers.

Someone who is curious about the N900, and want to know more about the device will find this forum sooner or later, and will find the Active Topics panel to the right where the Astroturfers and a couple of "useful idiots" keep the "anti-N900/Nokia" topics alive just to try discourage potential byers.

Just my 2 cents.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sula For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Romania
yes but...can it make me lunch ))) JOKE

Leaving all jokes aside, i love my n900. With this phone i replaced my old laptop, my remote control for the TV,DVD and even PC, my webcam, my mp3 player and a few other stuff.

I don't know what could you possibly ask for, that the n900 cannot do.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to razzvi18 For This Useful Post:
theres planty of apps out there its just people are lazy to look for them , i dont agree myself i think this is best phone ever(todate) well its my best anyways does every thing i need it an more . . .

N900 rules

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevomanu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
yes maybe there are many apps but with all the devel apps you have i bet you will in a month open here a new thread with something like: help my n900 is acting weird.
and the haters mostly hate because of the lack of support and the instability of the system.
but maybe someone can explain that a little bit better......
oh yes and which ps2 emulator are you talking about?
i searched long time for it and couldn't find one?????

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Last edited by atilla; 2011-02-02 at 12:10.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I don't want to start an argument here or anything but I have noticed that many people who dislike the N900 was because of the "lack of apps" - now I can understand if they were only downloading from the Ovi Store (which I think we all can agree is a joke - it should be renamed to the Ovi Pum and Pop Store). But if you enable repos like maemo.org, -testing, -dev then there's more than enough Apps to choose from.

On my N900 for games I have; Angry Birds, Asphalt5, Jurassic Coaster 3D, Descent, DRIVER, SNES Emulator, Duke Nukem 3D, Giant Fighting Robots, Hexen 2, NES emulator, Jagged Alliance, Kroll, N64 Emulator, Need for Speed, Numpty Physics, Oregon Trail, PS2 Emulator, Doom, Quake 2, Quake 3, Lamar Research Flight Simulators, Starcraft, Warcraft II, TuxRace, Wallenstein 3D (I left out the boring ones like chess)

I also have 2 dictionary applications, 2 translator applications, and as stellerium program for references.

As for graphics, I can view RAR photos, I have numerous excellent image editors (including GIMP), and even the pressure sensitive mypaint.

I have numerous navigation programs, and if I want to use Google maps I just go to the Google maps web site.

I find the camera to be great for a cell phone, and I also have 2 panoramic photo applications (one was free). With FCam it is very easy for me to adjust the camera settings.

Network options are ridiculous; VNC servers and (numerous) clients, Google Chrome, Firefox, Iceweasel, Macuco, Opera, Pidgin, 2 BitTorrent clients, the list can go on and on.

For office type applications I have K Office, Open Office, PFD editor and reader, AbiWord, Gnumeric for spreadsheets, I can't think of anything more I would need.

I have so many system info apps and other utilities it is crazy!

And on top of that I have DOSBox, BlueMaemo, and Debian LXDE? And if that's not enough I can dual boot into (admittedly) slower version of NITDroid.

I don't understand what more someone would want... can anyone explain?
I'm mostly worried about rootfs space. I don't have games (though I have heard about tuxfootball, Peqersi, and some others), and I would like to remove default built-in games. The only app from Ovi Store is Nokia Panorama, and it's quite good.
I have QStarDict (what's your second dictionary application?), though I need more dictionaries (not a problem), and no special translators.
I have Stellarium and Orrery.
I don't have any image-editing applications besides the default. I know, default PhotoEditing and Sketch are pathetic. But PenPen is mostly for hurried note-taking, and MyPaint is too complex with its choice of brushes, and ImageMagic isn't touch-friendly at all, it has potential, but no usable user interface. And I don't use EasyDebian.
Navigation programs: ModRana.
Camera: default (not bad), Nokia Panorama (not bad, but sometimes annoying), _no_FCam_ (have heard too much about (un)installation problems and conflicts), mbarcode.
Browsers: Fennec, MicroB, Google Chrome, no Opera.
Office type applications: mostly not needed, use Leafpad and have Vim.
Also Filebox, Copernicium, QtOctave, QRadio, VU Meter. And others.
Just too many apps. They should be optified better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Some people think: The more apps, the better the phone must be
Some people think: I don't care about apps.
Some people think: Apps are things to *hide* the limitations on devices
Some people think: I don't need that many apps.

It all comes out on what a person seeks in their phone.
I'm happy with my phone, other people are happy with their phones.
Why should I say that my phone is better?
My mom finds my phone overcomplicated and prefers her nokia 6500.
I think her nokia 6500 is too simple so i prefer my n900.

let's be glad that there is so much choise on phone's
If everyone would have an n900, that would be boring -.-

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Maharadja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by atilla View Post
yes maybe there are many apps but with all the devel apps you have i bet you will in a month open here a new thread with something like: help my n900 is acting weird.
and the haters mostly hate because of the lack of support and the instability of the system.
if you want a phone with limited OS and functionality go and buy another one, but if you want the freedom to create your own apps get the n900.
Of course you will have some bugs, because the OS and the applications are in the developing stages. So quit complaining and help the marvelous programers that use this talk to make better and useful apps.
No one forces you to use the devel/extra devel catalogs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to razzvi18 For This Useful Post:
I have no hate for the N900, just bought a second one as a matter of fact and starting to use my old one to experiment with things I was hesitant to play with on a device I depend on for daily use.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EzInKy For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest