Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
From the folks at Symbian-Freak (because I don't know where else this was posted before hand)...

..would this work as a possible (hardware and UX) design direction for the IT/N-series Nokia devices?

http://www.symbian-freak.com/news/00...ne_concept.htm

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I really can't help thinking: "Detachable screen? As if I'm never going to lose that".

Also, why is the keypad so small? It seems there's a lot of wasted space on the bottom section for what I can only perceive as "kewl style" reasons.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Clamshell? Hmm no thats probably succesor of E90, aka 'Nokia Communicator'.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
http://www.coroflot.com/public/indiv...io_id=2186638&

This seems to be a graphics design made by a 23 year old student on his own. Nothing "by Nokia", as the images say.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
How many people spend any substantial portion of their days away from a relatively large place to put a computer-like device?

I don't. I'm either in a car or in a house, usually. When I go jogging, I need a cell phone, perhaps, and that's about it. I don't do a lot of typing on the run.

So, when the real future gets here, I think all we will need to bring with us for most purposes is an eye or fingerprint for identification. We'll just plug in to whatever is wherever we are. A cell phone might still come in handy, but a do-it-all portable device? Why? We just need built-in computers everywhere.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
We just need built-in computers everywhere.
And who will fund these millions of ubiquitous computers?

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
And who will fund these millions of ubiquitous computers?
SKYNET

(come with me if you want to live...)

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
We just need built-in computers everywhere.
This is a bad idea unless you know of an algorithm that lets you trust just any ol' input device. If so, please share. Otherwise, always bring your own.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Memory is becoming really small these days, and it gets easily replicated online. Why not having the memory and processor with you and using the convenient peripherals you will find when moving around (screens, speakers, keyboards...)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I really can't help thinking: "Detachable screen? As if I'm never going to lose that".

Also, why is the keypad so small? It seems there's a lot of wasted space on the bottom section for what I can only perceive as "kewl style" reasons.
as if "kewl style reasons" would ever influence design decisions these days.

Tags
iphones blow