Are there any installation guides available?

According to this article
http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2097004728.html

... "Speaking at the Embedded Linux Conference in Mountain View this week, Christian showed an N800 tablet running the GIMP, an open source image processing package that he said worked well on the device. "

Does that mean that it is possible in the not so far away future to run GIMP even with OS2008. Although this is Ubuntu port it shouldn't be
too difficult to port it to Maemo? I always thought that GIMP would be too impractical: slow and memory hungry with clunky interface for my N800. How can it run "well"?

Last edited by Ism; 2008-04-19 at 20:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ism For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I don't believe he got it running so well... at least not 2.4.x

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Northern California
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Slower boot, unoptimized for small screen apps... such things

btw, why the packages are arm and not armel?
It is all actually EABI (armel) even though they say "arm" in the arch field and the .deb filenames.... They plan to make different versions for different arm chips, instead of having one big arm/armel port for everybody like Debian does. They explain it in this presentation: http://mojo.handhelds.org/files/Hand...jo_ELC2008.pdf

Originally Posted by Navi View Post
I'm dead serious. There's absolutely no reason to switch from a Debian base to another Debian base.
Haha, I do enjoy Navi's trolling... But just in case any one is tempted to believe that nonsense, the PDF linked above explains the rationale -- they say Maemo has "~700" packages while Ubuntu has ">10000". And actually, that number is closer to 20000 (and Debian has even more).

So, if Maemo is "Debian based" why can't we use all those packages now? Because the internet tablet OS is not actually in sync with any released distro, so everything needs to be (at the very least) recompiled.

Iirc ITOS2005 had some amount of binary compatibility with Debian's arm port, which made many things usable without recompiling (I'm not sure how much, I only used OS2005 for a few weeks before OS2006 came out). Nokia's ITOS2006 broke this compatibility for a good reason, the switch to EABI (armel). At the time there was no Debian armel. Now, there is, but only in the unstable branch.

In a nutshell: Running a proper distro like Ubuntu or Debian on the tablet (instead of Nokia's "debian-based" ITOS crap) is extremely attractive because the porting effort is shared with those targeting other arm devices, which translates to more software being available (and, kept updated).

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to finite For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by finite View Post
It is all actually EABI (armel) even though they say "arm" in the arch field and the .deb filenames.... They plan to make different versions for different arm chips, instead of having one big arm/armel port for everybody like Debian does. They explain it in this presentation: http://mojo.handhelds.org/files/Hand...jo_ELC2008.pdf
What about the first part of my post? Recompile is not a panacea. Ubuntu system requirements according to their page are above the ones of a typical N8x0 and a full blown desktop most probably will be heavy and not very usable. [link]

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
What about the first part of my post? Recompile is not a panacea. Ubuntu system requirements according to their page are above the ones of a typical N8x0 and a full blown desktop most probably will be heavy and not very usable. [link]
Ubuntu's recommended minimum system specs (384MB RAM / 8GB disk / x86 CPU @ 700Mhz / screen capable of 1024x678) are for a full-blown Gnome or KDE desktop able to run big apps like OpenOffice, and no, I certainly wouldn't expect to see OO running on an N800

However, this page claims that some form of Ubuntu can still be made to run on a 486 with 32MB of RAM and 300MB of disk!

In any case, the obvious thing from Ubuntu to run on the NIT is the Ubuntu Mobile Edition (with Hildon), which didn't exist yet in 7.04. So, why they're porting 7.04 and 7.10 when 8.04 is nearing release is beyond me.

But if/when 8.04 is available for ARM, it should be trivial to recompile all of the existing OS2008 "hildonised" apps for Ubuntu. So, I think 8.04-on-ARM really is a panacea of sorts

I really really really hope that ITOS2009 is nothing more than Ubuntu 8.04 (or 8.10, or 9.04 or whatever, but a *released distro*) plus whatever extra packages Nokia wants to add. That way, we will be able to apt-get install (and upgrade!) thousands of packages which are maintained by people who don't know or care about internet tablets per se.

Prior to hearing about this development, I was pretty sure I wouldn't be buying another Nokia product because of the horrible decisions they've made with OS2007/2008. Now, I'm not so sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to finite For This Useful Post:
so... does this mean i should stop trying to get kde to run on my n800?

Originally Posted by sleepkyng View Post
so... does this mean i should stop trying to get kde to run on my n800?
How are you trying? Penguinbait has instructions and a package available, with which you should be able to run KDE under OS2008 currently... it is just big (it won't fit on the N800's built-in storage) and RAM hungry (but, with enough swap it works).

The Ubuntu ARM port doesn't have KDE yet because their build systems didn't have enough RAM (apparently building KDE requires more than 256MB...) but it will eventually. For now, if you want KDE, go here (I've never tried it myself, but many people in that thread appear to be using it just fine).

How are you trying? Penguinbait has instructions and a package available, with which you should be able to run KDE under OS2008 currently... it is just big (it won't fit on the N800's built-in storage) and RAM hungry (but, with enough swap it works).

The Ubuntu ARM port doesn't have KDE yet because their build systems didn't have enough RAM (apparently building KDE requires more than 256MB...) but it will eventually. For now, if you want KDE, go here (I've never tried it myself, but many people in that thread appear to be using it just fine).
KDE is decent, but installation of programs is a real pain with KPackage's Fixup...it downloaded so many extra 'dependancies' that it broke my installation. Now, I will have to reflash Maemo. I think I will give up trying to make KDE work. I am really looking forward to Ubuntu, is there any ETA?

I really really really hope that ITOS2009 is nothing more than Ubuntu 8.04 (or 8.10, or 9.04 or whatever, but a *released distro*) plus whatever extra packages Nokia wants to add. That way, we will be able to apt-get install (and upgrade!) thousands of packages which are maintained by people who don't know or care about internet tablets per se.
OS200x and Ubuntu Mobile have only hildon and the debian parent in common. Ubuntu Mobile will power up the so called MIDs, while i expect OS2009 again will be Maemo based. However software will be possible to run with simple recompile (since the hildon libraries are common between the two.