Poll: Does Maemo.org need more Moderation?
Poll Options
Does Maemo.org need more Moderation?

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Thread spam is all-right if it stays confined in one or two threads.
Actually most issues are all-right if they stay confined.

Aggressive posts are sometime of a problem around here, but most poster tend to behave even with strong disagreement.

I think the number of moderators as well as the rules in place are sufficient. Maybe there is some time a bit of a too much tolerance, but it's hard to tell without being a mod.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
When threads get Chuck Norrised they tend to get shuffled off to Off Topic anyway.
I'm scanning this mentioned thread once a day for posts with more than 4 or 5 Thanks and read only this posts. Moving it to Off Topic would break my quick read scanning tactics.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The moderators actually encouraged the main Chuck Norris thread by renaming the thread in honor of Chuck then putting it in off-topic.
We try to encourage at least a little bit of this thing we call "fun" here.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
The simulation of a "community" falls short on several social aspects typical of a community, mostly through technical reasons of interaction only via the software.

I think a very useful feature would be an area which showed statistics across the userbase, particularly a ranking of the most ignored users to help newcomers identify trolls which are not otherwise moderated.

In any other community, you can tell who is ostracized as anti-social, but not in this environment. It is a behavioral observation loop that allows both the individual and community to be objective about social behavior and modify it if desired.

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
This place is fine. It doesn't need more moderators.-

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sr00t View Post
...but less FUD, Trolls and useless "chat room like" postings would be sometimes really nice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sr00t View Post
The perceived picture is that you need more moderators, so developers don't leave.

I think it needs more developers and more support from Nokia. Based on the lack of the second item, this place is bleeding on the first item.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I'll vote either No or relax and have a beer.

I think too many people here lately are focusing on a couple well-respected people leaving, and blaming a few individuals for their departures. Personally, I feel (no matter what was said by who) that these people would have left shortly anyway, blaming a few "trolls" was just an easy excuse.

Speculation threads will happen no matter how much moderation goes on, and by their very nature will tend to wander off-topic fairly easily.

Trolling is much harder to enforce. There is obvious trolling, that almost everyone would agree on. Then there is posting that some here jump on quickly as trolling, and others see as reasonable posts (perhaps poorly worded, etc), but not trolling.

Case in point, a couple months ago, I'm sure many here would have called for infraction points or banning of some posters due to trolling or spreading of fud. The posters in question were spreading those evil rumors that microsoft was going to partner with Nokia. As I recall these posters were quickly condemned as trolls or spreading fud. We'd all look pretty silly having banned these posters for trolling or spreading fud, being as they were actually spreading the truth.

I guess, I'll go with sit back relax, report offensive posts, let the mods do their job. And if you see a trolling post, or a thread you don't agree with, please don't jump in and comment about it. The more comments it gets, the longer it goes on. Ignore it and it will drop out of site.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ York, Pa., USA
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
I'll vote either No or relax and have a beer.

I think too many people here lately are focusing on a couple well-respected people leaving, and blaming a few individuals for their departures. Personally, I feel (no matter what was said by who) that these people would have left shortly anyway, blaming a few "trolls" was just an easy excuse.

Speculation threads will happen no matter how much moderation goes on, and by their very nature will tend to wander off-topic fairly easily.

Trolling is much harder to enforce. There is obvious trolling, that almost everyone would agree on. Then there is posting that some here jump on quickly as trolling, and others see as reasonable posts (perhaps poorly worded, etc), but not trolling.

Case in point, a couple months ago, I'm sure many here would have called for infraction points or banning of some posters due to trolling or spreading of fud. The posters in question were spreading those evil rumors that microsoft was going to partner with Nokia. As I recall these posters were quickly condemned as trolls or spreading fud. We'd all look pretty silly having banned these posters for trolling or spreading fud, being as they were actually spreading the truth.

I guess, I'll go with sit back relax, report offensive posts, let the mods do their job. And if you see a trolling post, or a thread you don't agree with, please don't jump in and comment about it. The more comments it gets, the longer it goes on. Ignore it and it will drop out of site.
I agree with everything you said.

My initial point however, which I'll say again, there is a difference (to me) with a little, some, a lot, and overboard moderation. I'm not calling for more moderators (bodies), but a little tighter standards on the Chuck Norrises () that run wild here.

I was reading a thread that asked "Is Meego dead for Nokia?" . In the first 5 posts the initial, honest question was answered politely and accurately. That thread is now 17 pages long, and the only redeeming value of all that blather is that it started this thread. And don't even get me started on that n9, Chuck Norris filled, 5000+ post monstrosity of an anticipation thread....I like funny joke threads too but keep in mind that thread started May 11 th, and had so much misinformation spread around it deteriorated into a EPIC mess.

Again, if I’m being too stuffy I'll admit the error of my ways, and beat myself accordingly.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
No one forces anyone to read any threads.

Last edited by Texrat; 2011-06-16 at 08:02. Reason: spelling error

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: