Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by Fatalist View Post
Hello, a question for people with the N900 Otterbox case. Is true that with the case the FM Transmitter function does not work or is affected by the case? thanks.
My Otterbox case -- and I think it's the only kind of Otterbox made for the N900 -- is made of thermoplastic (ABS, I believe) and rubber (silicone). It doesn't affect the FM transmitter, as far as I can tell . . . still as weak as ever

On the other hand, it does make it tricky to plug in a headphone or other audio plug, they do not all fit through the opening. And the unlock slider is a little hard to reach, especially if you have big fingers and/or trim your nails all the way to the quick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Barcelona - Spain
Thanks robthebold, I asked because one of the Amazon OtterBox reviews says "Don't even think to buy this if you use a lot the FM Transmitter, It's not gonna work!"

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Fatalist: I read that review, too. I thought he might have been reviewing the wrong product at first, but his description of the sharp ridge on the case cutting into your ear convinced me otherwise. I conclude that he just encountered a coincidental problem with the FM Tx at the same time he tried the case.

Got a refund confirmation from jujers with no explanation. Oh well, it was worth a shot. The website still shows 789 items available, go figure...

The Following User Says Thank You to Val Demar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What is jujers at all?
Reliable or just ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Based on my experience I tend to say it is the latter. Likely just another drop-shipper relying on 3rd party e-commerce warehouses for all I know. The refund hasn't posted to my account as of yet despite the notification, who knows I may still need to dispute the charge.

thought i would add a 2nd review, following Robthebold's.
had received the Commuter Otterbox on the 27th from hard2find Accessories via Amazon.

didn't take me long to clean the screen, put the protective cover on it & add the two other parts...

the goods... wait, i'm sure i felt there was something good about it, just can't seem to put my finger on it, right now

not so good...
- as Rob already mentioned, the two silicon (rubber?) parts which cover the USB respectively the audio connector are a hasle; especially later one is practically impossible to open without some sharp utensil ; the USB one has sort of an edge outside of the casing which makes it a little less tenuous to open...
- keyboard... becomes really difficult to use because the screen casing removes about 2mm of the upper row of keys , typing becomes a hasle. so, if you were thinking about switching over to the N9 'cuz you can live without hw kbd, the Otterbox will push you over the edge
- the rubber (silicon, whatever) topping around the lens / flash assembly is cute, indeed but... why not adding the same around the screen?

and, finally... Friday my N900 had become quite unresponsive & i had to power it down; thankfully, power button was still responding, so i could use that to shut it down but... nope, no @#$%&ίαπ way to open quickly the back cover to remove briefly the battery ; by the time i had removed the Otterbox (without breaking it, but without ceremony) i had pushed the power button again and the N900 was happily starting up...

i have had a pouch to carry my NOKIAs at my belt since... pretty much since i had a NOKIA, which is over a dozen years now, thus it is reasonably well protected already.
i'll keep the Otterbox for those rare occasions where i have the N900 in a backpack together with other stuff, but if i had to do it again... i wouldn't

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
I, personally, don't have any issues with the case and like the rubber plugs that prevent junk from getting into sockets. Unlock switch is definitely harder to reach but I now use the power button/swipe screen slider more often as it is easier to do with one hand. My biggest complaint is that rubber makes it difficult to use the camera button as it is difficult to modulate the effort for 1/2 press sometimes. It can be a pita to remove true, but since one of the corner plastic latches broke off when my phone fell it became an easier task The most important thing is it is the best case for the N900, saved mine on multiple occasions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Val Demar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
the goods... wait, i'm sure i felt there was something good about it, just can't seem to put my finger on it, right now
I find the good is very secure drop coverage. I've dropped my N900 a few times, from as high as shoulder height (I'm 6'1"), and it's been fine in the OtterBox. It also protects well against water and other stuff on tables or the ground when it hits...

- as Rob already mentioned, the two silicon (rubber?) parts which cover the USB respectively the audio connector are a hasle
While I agree the audio plug cover is hard to get off at times, the USB one is not. If either are really in the way, you can always cut them from the rubber mold (which easily separates from the plastic cover).

- keyboard... becomes really difficult to use because the screen casing removes about 2mm of the upper row of keys
Really? I have large fingers, and find no difficulty in typing. The top cover doesn't overlap the keys at all on mine either, and I've made no adjustments to the case or slider.

why not adding the same around the screen?
So, the screen cover is too thick and gets in the way of typing, but you want them to make it thicker with rubber padding?

no @#$%&ίαπ way to open quickly the back cover
This is true, but at the same time it also means it's less likely to come off on impact. They is a nice trick to opening it though: Those rubber flaps you despise so much, make wonderful handles to pull it off with. And frankly, over time, it becomes easier to remove. I'm not sure it's wear (I've had mine 2+ years) or practice, but I can get my cover off in under a second now when I need to. Thankfully, that's not needed often though.

I get that you may dislike some of the things about the case, and you're totally entitled to your opinion. But I think if you give it a week or two, you'll find the pluses outweigh the negatives. Having one in a box and one not (my spare has a crappy plastic shell case on it), I can tell you there is functionally little difference outside of the extra protection from the OtterBox. I also don't use the audio port often, and only use the USB to charge once a day in most cases. If you use the audio feature often, or replace your SIM/uSD card regularly, this may not be the right case for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ MANILA, PHILIPPINES
same here..hope somebody from manila has one.