My N900 wasnt getting the battery life it used to so I decided to buy a new battery. I couldn't find anywhere locally selling a genuine Nokia BL-5J (and I didn't want to buy from feebay or other online sources) so I bought the one the shop I found had.It has the same markings as the Nokia except for the Nokia names and hologram.

What I want to know is if there is anything I should be looking for to figure out if A.The battery I got is any good i.e. not going to blow up on me or ruin my phone or whatever (but so far its been in my phone for a day or so with no indications of anything wrong) and B.whether its actually going to give me any kind of battery life (so far I have noticed that in about a day or so of use with a few phone calls and being connected to WiFi and to Skype all day, its gone from full battery to about 1/2 empty on the battery meter)

Basically I am trying to find out what I can do to tell if the $50 I spent was worth it or money down the drain

one easy metric is to put the phone in offline mode and let it rest on the table for a day (or maybe 12h); without anything running battery % should drop by about 10% per day

regarding battery quality, it is hard to tell

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
My N900 wasnt getting the battery life it used to so I decided to buy a new battery. I couldn't find anywhere locally selling a genuine Nokia BL-5J (and I didn't want to buy from feebay or other online sources) so I bought the one the shop I found had.It has the same markings as the Nokia except for the Nokia names and hologram.

What I want to know is if there is anything I should be looking for to figure out if A.The battery I got is any good i.e. not going to blow up on me or ruin my phone or whatever (but so far its been in my phone for a day or so with no indications of anything wrong) and B.whether its actually going to give me any kind of battery life (so far I have noticed that in about a day or so of use with a few phone calls and being connected to WiFi and to Skype all day, its gone from full battery to about 1/2 empty on the battery meter)

Basically I am trying to find out what I can do to tell if the $50 I spent was worth it or money down the drain
If you are willing to use your N900 for battery capacity measurement here are instructions from estel on how to do it: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=846

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
try battrygraph
use it on both my N900s just fine
nothing fancy, simply a graph & a numerical display of a couple informations (mAh, mvolts are most interesting)

i tried the scripts on both my N900s for several weeks w/out getting anything but 2100+ mAhs with standard BL-5J batteries - probably only work for the super-duper whatever batteries ¦-))))))
more likely not @ all

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
I couldn't find anywhere locally selling a genuine Nokia BL-5J
Polarcell?
I have bought three from that seller now, I have been pleased. There are many happy polarcell users here.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...55&postcount=2

The only true way of testing capacity is with a script like the one linked above to calibrate the battery.

Batterygraph eats battery so if you use it remove it when you have finished.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2014-02-13 at 19:11. Reason: typo

Jonwil, hi. If you are looking at so-called "genuine" bl5js the counterfeiters are very good with faking the holograms.

Pisen 1400mAh batteries under $10 shipped. They might not say 1400mAh (on the ad it might say 1320mAh) but what turns up are labelled 1500mAh 1400mAh.. Pisenexport and pisenelectronic are factory sellers. I have bought from them both. These are tested by me to be 1500mAh cells and of very high quality. HTH

Last edited by independent; 2014-02-16 at 02:13. Reason: wrong battery milli amp hour ratings corrected

The Following User Says Thank You to independent For This Useful Post:
Hi there, both sellers have nothing on sale.

Originally Posted by independent View Post
Jonwil, if you end up looking for another have a look at the ebay seller pisenexport. Pisen 1400mAh batteries under $10 shipped. They might not say 1400mAh but that is what turns up. Pisenexport and pisenelectronic are factory sellers. These are tested by me to be 1500mAh cells and of very high quality. HTH
#1 Nokia N900 Feb- 2011 - June - 2013 (Dead motherboard)
#2 Nokia N900 July-2013 (CSSU Stable) - Present
#3 Nokia N900 April-2014 (CSSU Thumb) - Present

Its still Chinese new year holiday at the moment. Also, I just bought 4x Pisen 1400mAh from tvc-mall cheaply. Supposedly in the post as we speak, never used that outfit before so can't say how good they are.

Last edited by independent; 2014-02-13 at 19:20.

ah i was using the .co.uk page. found em now
#1 Nokia N900 Feb- 2011 - June - 2013 (Dead motherboard)
#2 Nokia N900 July-2013 (CSSU Stable) - Present
#3 Nokia N900 April-2014 (CSSU Thumb) - Present

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
I bought BL-5J from Nokia sometime ago, it was labled 1430mAh but it's actual capacity was 1540mAh.
http://nokiaskleponline.pl/product-p...tml?text=bl-5j