the current ovi maps shouldn't even be used until offline search is available. like kpah said what if u find urself in the middle of the desert n theres no connection. how r u supposed to find where u r going even if u have all the maps downloaded.

i can show off my n900 about many things, but my maps app is the biggest shame in the longest time. besides i can't understand why i can't save locations like i used to with symbian ovi maps. is it so difficult?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by kazuki View Post
the current ovi maps shouldn't even be used until offline search is available. like kpah said what if u find urself in the middle of the desert n theres no connection. how r u supposed to find where u r going even if u have all the maps downloaded.

i can show off my n900 about many things, but my maps app is the biggest shame in the longest time. besides i can't understand why i can't save locations like i used to with symbian ovi maps. is it so difficult?
Problem is the software is nothing like it should be and i feel Nokia have not given the N900 anything like they should have done in the design stage of the gps especially the antenna which seems inadiquate but i am sure when the software catches up there will be a noted improvement all round. Incidently gps ginny works great as it picks up the sats well so goes to prove the gps software is nothing like it should be.
Wait for the next upgrade and see how it performs.

Shame there is no provision of adding an external antenna but maybe there is a mod we can do to make the gps a lot more sensitive with an external antenna?

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Shame there is no provision of adding an external antenna but maybe there is a mod we can do to make the gps a lot more sensitive with an external antenna?
I believe the cost of a bluetooth gps receiver is about the same as an external gps antenna, with the additional benefit that you can connect if without any mod.

Then again, the slow locking in my experience is mostly a sw issue so I am not sure an external antenna would even help.

Originally Posted by aboaboit View Post
I believe the cost of a bluetooth gps receiver is about the same as an external gps antenna, with the additional benefit that you can connect if without any mod.

Then again, the slow locking in my experience is mostly a sw issue so I am not sure an external antenna would even help.
Yes i agree the sw is an issue as it already states a fix for the next update but i think Nokia must have tested this from a high location to get an instant lock ha, i just dont understand why after many of its handsets that have gps they produce something as bad on the N900 but there again it was sold far too early in my opinion without much testing at all of any of the os.
Lets see what improvement comes in the pr2.1?, as i have played about a bit its clear something is wrong because gpsginny picks up many and the internal gps cannot get a lock, my theory behind an external antenna is obvious, we just have to wait and see.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Thessaloniki Greece
I totally agree. GPS in N900 is a shame

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by kazuki View Post
...what if u find urself in the middle of the desert n theres no connection. how r u supposed to find where u r going even if u have all the maps downloaded.
Finger on zoom out button until you can see a tad more of the world around you : ) Make a rough estimate of the direction you need to go and start walking.

The N900 GPS is actually pretty damn sensitive. Better than my N95, better than all of the Garmin and Magellen units I have gathering dust.

People complaining that the N900 GPS is too slow to lock, one word: Almanac. This is transmitted over a 12 and a half minute period. 50 bits per second. If your GPS doesn't catch all of it the first time, it has to pick up the bits it missed on the next run through, or the next, or the next...

Under pretty good conditions you may just find you actually do manage to download it the first time, though if you live in the city with many buildings and much RF interference, or you're boxed in by mountains, naturally it can take a while longer.

Personally I think most of the complaints (and you see them for every single type of GPS chipset in existence) are a patience problem. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by dchky; 2010-08-09 at 12:57.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by crabsody View Post
I totally agree. GPS in N900 is a shame
You know, I would have agree with this statement before my euro trip recently. I had a to use the n900 most of the time since my main gps maps where acting up. And I have to say that it work great! Now it wasn't perfect, not even close..but it did find small roads in small towns in the middle of now where.

Finding place was not the easiest thing, but possible. You have to zoom out find the city then slowly zoom into the area close to where you have to go. The SW will make your current gps location (A) the start then clicking the little [+] icon next to the city will select what ever you found.

It didn't seem to take as long in europe to lock on for me. But it definitely take awhile the first time.

Spoken navigation would have made it a lot easier, but I see the maps app more like a interactive ols school map rather then a modern navigation device.

cheers

x

Last edited by xman; 2010-08-09 at 15:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
INcreasingly devices are also using wifi cell/mac info for positioning -- such as through skyhook -- has anyone had this kind of capability working in a N900?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Bluetooth connection could eat battery...

I would personally like an external GPS antenna. It could be as long as one meter, if needed - just sew it into your coat, in a way which wouldn't decrease its performance.

Sad.... Is there an application "GPS Boost" then?
-------------------------------------------------------------
Right now I have to wait about five-ten-twenty minutes for GPS lock (no cellular connection, no WiFi). It's acceptable but occasionally frustrating.

Tags
lack of quality control