Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Yep because there is nothing I love more than developing for a platform where every time I write a piece of software I have to write a version for every goddam phone that comes out.

Right now I cannot guarantee any of my software will run from one phone to the next. So that means as a dev I need to have one of every phone (or pay exorbitant fees for a test bed) and I need to have the following SDK envs

Droid - Android 2.0 - completely new and undocumented API changes for almost all hardware

Cliq - Android 1.5 - All the new perms stuff in 1.6 breaks it

Hero - 1.6 with extras - HTC have made acknowledged changed to the way layouts are parsed and that causes many apps to act weirdly on them

G1 - 1.6 about as vanilla as it gets.

And its only going to get worse as Samsung enter the fray and make their changes to the base OS leading to more splintering leading to more devs losing their effing minds trying to code against the API only to find that the API no longer applies on many phones and now needs some new API that of course HTC et al do not provide documentation for.

GOOD TIMES!!!
Not to mention Sony and their apparent addition of video codecs and other OS distortions due to their proprietary UI

Sun god has spoken and all rants for November 9th have been silenced. Eagerly awaiting next rumoured date Nov 14th for US. hmmmmm 5 sleeps to go

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by God View Post
I mean, why give out 300 prototypes when the release date is approx. 1 month away?
so why didn't they do this testing 6 months before announcing anything?!
I think this is balance between how many applications there are ready when release (for public) and sw quality.

It's no use to give prototypes out if you have issues with lower level things. So you need to get sw quality in some level after it's useful to give it to developers. And for app developers - it's frustrating to try to develop anything if there are problems you cannot affect.

But of course, there was too optimistic view of sw quality or some features which they thought to get ready before first launch date... or something else.

Originally Posted by yerjoshy View Post
Ok Guys this is the conversation that i had with Peter Maemo (Schnider) via twitter:

YADDA YADDA YADDA

Thatīs all and now he is talking in twitter about the vision of their boss(which is delay the n900 to obtain more pre-orders) and the charges and any other matter diferent of the release of the N900.
long!!!.......
Got evidence of these chats?

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by yerjoshy View Post
Guys Do you remenber the maemo project competition? i found this please read the part of send the prize for the winners and check the dates!!!! this is the dates of release of the N900 ithink so.

http://www.maemoproject.com/MaemoProjectTCs.pdf
No, sorry.

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden, Stockholm
Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
Do you consider that evolution can happen without alternatives?

The evolution theory is just a model, but that model can describe many phenomenon around the world, and the tech world isn't an exception. Google is slowly but steadily gaining monopoly on every single market (except Windows to be replaced by Chrome OS within 10 years if attraction against Google won't be done), and that can't certainly be good for the future of the human kind, right!?

Please reply what you think about that, and don't say that this is fantasy or something else: this is the reality - a reality which I don't want to be part of. I don't know how it's about you, at least I'm doing something to change it.

I can't do much, but it's better than nothing. At least I'm not defending a company that doesn't need it.

Since I joined here last month you obviously don't know much about me, but I did the same thing against Microsoft's Windows services some years ago - which isn't a threat anymore. In my opinion, Google is the one we must focus on right now, or who else has the highest priority according to you (because there's always some evil in this world)?

Interesting, but if you think for a while, the evolution theory, if its correct i may add, did result with us humans, thru millions of years of "updating", and we are the final release. At least for now.

On the way to the final release, many other races, arts where "deleted", because they where not good enough, but we are.

I personally see google, as the final release. Because, everything they do is honestly almost perfect. Just look at the recent Google Wave, isn't it just beautiful? Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that?

Maybe you should see it from different angels, not as monopoly. And the only cause that they are expanding and taking over, is because people are joining them, because they want to be apart of something new, better.

You don't see google making adds for Google wave, "click here to join", but instead you see people asking for invitations from friends, forums etc.
And also, i have used gmail for years now, and its still in beta stage!, that means they are always trying to make things better and never satisfied with "just fine".

The Following User Says Thank You to zico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
...Words from ... the company's own sales department are not Official
That's true, for sure.

But when the different sales departments of a company give dates that are different from each other, and different from the dates given by the company's Maemo marketing manager, it's a sure sign that the company is rather messed up internally.

Nokia has a whole division whose job it is to take phones to market after their design is finished. At the very least, that division should have someone who communicates with all their resellers (in-house and third-party) and helps them to convey correct and meaningful information to their customers.

And as for the Nokia staff who processed the re-orders for those whose orders were messed up, they confidently assured me that my specific order would ship on November 10 if they couldn't get it done on November 9. And they didn't change their story until the last working day before November 9. It really is pathetic.

But for me, the whole charade started about July 2008, when I came here to find out what was in store for the future Nokia Internet Tablets. A Nokia staff member assured me, confidently but off the record, that all would be revealed in a few months at the 2008 Maemo summit. Of course, it wasn't. All we found out then was that the next Maemo device might or might not have a keyboard, might or might not have a stylus, would have a high-quality camera and a display of some unspecified size, would have HSPA data but may or may not be a phone. I mean, that really helps a potential developer doesn't it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
I'm hoping NukNuk isn't going to do something silly...

The Following User Says Thank You to GunnerzMate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by zico View Post
I personally see google, as the final release. Because, everything they do is honestly almost perfect. Just look at the recent Google Wave, isn't it just beautiful? Why wouldn't you want to be a part of that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E-Wa...feature=fvste3

Originally Posted by fluido View Post
Well, it is commonly called jailbreaking, Not exacty the kind of activity I like to spend time doing. I have been using, administering and programming on Unix machines for more than two decades now, and I get it as a personal offense if I am not given the root password of *my* machine. With the responsibilities that root passwords bring.
Jailbreaking is an iPhone term. For the G1 it is simply, 'getting root'.

. The N900 has a CPU that is powerful enough to compile stuff, and lots of memory. I can connect to it via SSH and it will appear just like any other machine I use. But when the USB cable is detached, it is a fully-functional phone plus organizer plus media player plus ... ... ...
Unbeatable.
Nothing listed you can't do on Android.

If you like, the bad bits regarding Android (I am no fanboy!) are: only supporting Eclipse IDE for Java development, Google services draining the battery (constant synching, etc,) no real 'high-end' phone (until Droid,) capative screens only, lack of true Java support, no Bluetooth file sharing, etc.

Tags
bumped by idiot?, impatience, n900 release, strange