I found that disabling a lot of the repositories in the application manager helped the install. The directions on the canola site should probably be at the top of the page, and the 1 click install at the bottom.
The issue i'm dealing with now is setting up the media library. The red arrows in the admin page are not working. I can add folders with the green arrows every way to sunday, but there's no love from the red. Anyone else?

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Oregon
Originally Posted by Nilles View Post
Got it working! I installed all the other libfiles that are needed. (in red pill mode)
Are you referring to the libcap1 and avahi-daemon libs? Think I already tried installing those under red pill (can't remember I've done it so many times now) and it still didn't work. Will have to invoke red pill and disable all my extra repos and give it a shot again before I resign myself to jumping into the command line.

OK, finally got Canola to successfully install (thank goodness!). But when I run Canola config it pops up a dialog asking for a username and pass and I've never set one. When I just click "OK" on the dialog without changing anything I get "Invalid username or password" message. If I try to input something and click "OK", I get the same thing. Any ideas?

Enabling these 3 Catalogs allowed me to install Canola:

Nokia Catalogue
Nokia Catalogue (3rd party software)

Canola
which is address : http://openbossa.indt.org.br/canola/...ory-beta2/bora
Distribution : bora
Components : user

I've read on the maemo garage BB for Canola that other users have lost the use of the red arrows in the web based configuration page. Anyone have an easy work around?

Originally Posted by timothyd4y View Post
Enabling these 3 Catalogs allowed me to install Canola:

Nokia Catalogue
Nokia Catalogue (3rd party software)

Canola
That's how I finally ended up getting it installed, was disabling every repo except the two default Nokia repos and Canola. Still had to install libcap1 by hand and install the rest in Red Pill mode. Hopefully this process gets less painful with the next version. I still can't get to the configuration page, though. It'd be nice because I really wanted this thing for podcasts, but no config = no podcasts.

What has happened with Canola install? Before it was easy to install and it worked but now it won't work and it is that avahi-thing that's broken. I just can't install it properly and I've given up. I'm suprised that there is no instructions how to solve this situation.

The avahi 'thing' is already solved at the first post of this thread.

It's a maemo repository error not Canola app error, however i'm ashamed that the canola team hasn't posted something about this issue. Wouldn't hapen like that if this was open source I bet :P

the username/password popup can probably be set in a config file in the /home/user/canola directory, however you need to know where that is and I have yet to care to look.

I've poked around a little bit looking for a config file for user/pass but haven't uncovered it yet. If and when I do I'll certainly report back.

OK. Here goes. After much tinkering around (which is, after all, a reason we get these devices) I think I've figured out a few tricks to getting Canola to rock and roll and in the process learn a bunch of Linux tricks. This is all covered in other places, but maybe posting a synopsis here will help some folks out.

1. Install XTerm. Yes we all need it.

2. Go here : http://mfresh-n800.blogspot.com/2007...rove-your.html
and set up some aliases. My fav is setting up 'ls' to do 'ls -al' to show hidden files when listing the contents of a directory.

3. Take a deep breath. Install GConf-Editor : let's you tweak the Canola config without using the web interface.

4. Uninstall Canola using the Application Manager. Log in with Xterm and find the .canola folder. This holds the canola.db file which holds the admin username and password. Use rm -r to delete this .canola folder

So now you've got an internet tablet with no canola, but XTerm and GConf are installed.

5. Go to Applications Manager and enable these 3 repositories:

a. Nokia Catalogue
b. Nokia Catalogue (3rd party software)
c. Canola

6. Refresh the applications list and install Canola.

7. Unplug your Nokia and power cycle it.

At this point Canola may work perfectly. It may find your media and playback w/o any hassles. You'll open the Canola Config app and assign a username and passsword, be able to tweak the media library, and all will be right as rain.

However in my case, an n800 fresh out of the box with the latest firmware, OS 2007 and MicroB browser installed, Canola could not find any media, and the red arrows on the Canola config browser window would not let me remove folders, the green arrows worked, but not the reds. I was getting Asahi login, XML errors and the pillars were a shakin'.

If this sounds familiar, read on....

8. Close the browser and canola. Open Configuration Editor (GConf-Editor). Click apps>Canola-conf, check out the collection-folders list there on the right hand side. This is a list of the places Canola is looking for media. Click and hold on collection-folders and select Edit Key from the popup menu. Making any change to the list of folder values re-enables the Browser Config red and green arrows to be able to manage your media library from within the MicroB browser engine. Whew!!
Now you can close out of everything and open Canola Config browser app and tweak your media library.

Now my Canola is working like a champ. I can tweak the media library, it's finding media when I scan for it and I'm feeling good.

Hope the above is useful to those who are experiencing similar problems. I can't fault any developer for these glitches. Like I said above, if I didn't want to fuss with
the device, I would have bought a Video iPod. I consider all this troubleshooting a value add and a geeky pleasure to pursue. Thanks to everyone for their posts and efforts to make this device what it is.

Best,
Tim

Last edited by timothyd4y; 2007-08-27 at 17:06.

Wow, pretty thorough! I'm about to jump in and give this a shot, but I have two questions.

1. Was the Canola install done in red pill mode?
2. Did you still have to manually install libcap1 and avahi daemon as in the initial instructions given by Brenden, or did all install swimmingly just using app manager?

Thanks!

EDIT: Scratch everything I just said. I followed your instructions and went in in red pill mode and everything installed without a hitch. You, sir, are my savior. My podcasts and I can't thank you enough!

Last edited by HeebieJeebie; 2007-08-27 at 18:36.