Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vis...se-foundation/

The Confusing Behemoth is at it again...
Who thought of this grand idea?
It's like inviting Sauron to tea with the ewoks...(mixing movies here)

Hmmm...
We reeeeeeeellllllllyyyy should keep hitting them up for help in releasing files if they have turned into Gilda the good witch of the West....

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2016-03-09 at 19:26.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Dude... Microsoft has done quite a few things that make you believe that Hades has gotten colder somewhat.

Releasing SQL for Linux.
Released a launcher for Android.
Partnered with Cyanogenmod.
Released Cortana on Android and iOS.
Released MS Office 365 on Android and iOS.
Opensourced the .NET CLR (CoreCLR).
Released the GitHub Atom based Visual Studio Code for free.
Released a Visual Studio Community edition that allows Azure and plugins for free.
Have been issuing certification for Ethereum services on Azure; offering Ethereum on Azure since last year.

There's a few other "WUT!?" moments, but under Satya Nadella, there's been quite a few. Now if only they can resolve the privacy issues with Win10... that would be the ultimate "WOW, WHAT!?" moment for Microsoft.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Dude... Microsoft has done quite a few things that make you believe that Hades has gotten colder somewhat.

Releasing SQL for Linux.
Released a Visual Studio Community edition that allows Azure and plugins for free.
Have been issuing certification for Ethereum services on Azure; offering Ethereum on Azure since last year.

There's a few other "WUT!?" moments, but under Satya Nadella, there's been quite a few. Now if only they can resolve the privacy issues with Win10... that would be the ultimate "WOW, WHAT!?" moment for Microsoft.
Add this to the list too (of course custom Debian is not a completely new concept for them, they already have Maemo ).

I don't see Microsoft ever resolving the Windows 10 privacy issues. The industry (outside of FLOSS) has gone the way of data mining and they've been losing out big time to Google. Finally with Windows 10 they're getting a piece of the pie.

My guess is that when Windows Server 2016 comes out, it won't have any of that spyware crap. They'll never be able to pull it off. I just can't see businesses accepting that on a server OS. So there is still hope for those that must use a supported Windows without spyware. Anyway, I'm going a bit off topic so back to the main point that I wanted to make...

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Hmmm...
We reeeeeeeellllllllyyyy should keep hitting them up for help in releasing files if they have turned into Gilda the good witch of the West....
Has anyone from the council actually asked Microsoft for permission for the closed parts of Maemo to be redistributed by maemo.org? What have we got to lose?

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I don't see Microsoft ever resolving the Windows 10 privacy issues. The industry (outside of FLOSS) has gone the way of data mining and they've been losing out big time to Google. Finally with Windows 10 they're getting a piece of the pie.
Finally?
With the acquisition of Hotmail and Skype plus Bing potentially linking search data and conversations of all kind they must have been able to get quite a good profile of those still using an unregistered Windows 7 for a long time
Now they were just adding telemetrics to Windows 10 (and then also to 7 and 8 through "updates")
Yesterday I have seen my first BSOD in years. On Lenovo T430 running Windows 7. tcpireg.sys page fault blah blah..
It started with Skype issues.
Testing low level network drivers to squeeze user data through unblockable Skype streams, MS?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Finally?
With the acquisition of Hotmail and Skype plus Bing potentially linking search data and conversations of all kind they must have been able to get quite a good profile of those still using an unregistered Windows 7 for a long time
Now they were just adding telemetrics to Windows 10 (and then also to 7 and 8 through "updates")
Yesterday I have seen my first BSOD in years. On Lenovo T430 running Windows 7. tcpireg.sys page fault blah blah..
It started with Skype issues.
Testing low level network drivers to squeeze user data through unblockable Skype streams, MS?
Ah the good old George Orwell was so damn right!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Finally?
You raise a good point but they were still far behind Google, they probably still are (do you known anyone that uses Bing?). Since Windows 10 they are much closer.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
do you known anyone that uses Bing?
I did. Before I learned about DuckDuckGo (on this forum, no less). The point was exactly to avoid Google. I see MS as a lesser evil in terms of privacy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 307 times | Joined on Jan 2015 @ Argentina
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Releasing SQL for Linux.

It is spreading like a ...virus!

The Following User Says Thank You to maegon9y00 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maegon9y00 View Post
It is spreading like a ...virus!
...or in the words of Steve Ballmer himself, a cancer.

Devuan for N950 and N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Finally?
With the acquisition of Hotmail and Skype plus Bing potentially linking search data and conversations of all kind they must have been able to get quite a good profile of those still using an unregistered Windows 7 for a long time ...
Yes finally. With Hotmail, Skype and Bing they have, to some extent, credible alternatives that people can move over to if they're not happy with MS' offerings. With Windows the vast majority of people have no alternatives and have to take whatever shafting MS gives them.

You raise a good point but they were still far behind Google
It's not through lack of trying. In terms of ethics both are about as bad as each other, but in execution of their agenda MS are woefully incompetent whereas Google is ruthlessly efficient.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post: