Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
Why does there have to be a next option?

In most cases IT reaches a point at which it is good enough.

cost/reward balance shifts.

The trick is to identify the next disruptive technology.

Smartphones (iPhone) was clearly disruptive to the traditional desktop use cases for say joe public and to a lesser degree tablets.

Not so much for niche power uses, say cad, development etc.

All the others are minor improvements or changes of focus to the original "smartphone" ideas.

Is Jolla disruptive? too early to say, probbaly not in its current configuration, you know my thoughts already on what could be.

rgds
Atleast disruptive for developers.

IMHO both XCode+IOSSDK and AndroidSDK+HELLclipse is bloated compared to QML+Silica and QtCreator.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Atleast disruptive for developers.

IMHO both XCode+IOSSDK and AndroidSDK+HELLclipse is bloated compared to QML+Silica and QtCreator.
Bloated maybe.... but is it as easy to develop?
In a developers head what they probably think is higher priority is
-Getting the App to work,
-Getting it out there for more people (not necessarily more devices),
-Getting it out quick.

Then they think about how their App looks.
And after all those, they think about its performance.

Despite my inherit bias, I gotta tip my hat to iOS and Android for maturing to the states they are.

Our communities advantages seem to fade just a little every day, a bit like how the far superior Dreamcast was overtaken by the likes of SONY, Nintendo and later MS.

I'm flattered

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
-Getting it out quick.

Despite my inherit bias, I gotta tip my hat to iOS and Android for maturing to the states they are.

Our communities advantages seem to fade just a little every day, a bit like how the far superior Dreamcast was overtaken by the likes of SONY, Nintendo and later MS.
Dreamcast is by far the best console ever made imo.... So much love for it

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
How to publish your iOS app:

1. Create an apple account (involves paying $99 and faxing(!) a form to apple, then speaking on the phone with them if you are in an unsupported country)

2. https://developer.apple.com/library/...12582-CH24-SW1

3. https://developer.apple.com/library/...12582-CH28-SW1

4. https://developer.apple.com/library/...012582-CH8-SW1

5. https://developer.apple.com/library/...012582-CH9-SW1

See the sheer length of those pages, and don't forget that you need to open almost every drop-down in them, for just a simple app.

No, it's not easy to develop on iOS.

Compare that with Downloading QtCreator and just using a two step wizard to publish to extras-devel for the N900.

Regarding Android vs WP, I would choose WP over android, as Google's stated mission is to know as much as possible about you, not that MS's intentions are good but having 80% of the market, whoever you are is by itself dangerous.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Regarding Android vs WP, I would choose WP over android, as Google's stated mission is to know as much as possible about you, not that MS's intentions are good but having 80% of the market, whoever you are is by itself dangerous.
What about 2007 ?
Symbian controls 98% marketshare. Nokia just by itself controls 51%.

"Chump change" compared to Android's *upto* 82% figure, and Samsung's 26% marketshare.

Just because something is "too" popular doesn't make that a disadvantage.

I'm flattered

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
It does. That's why anti-monopoly laws are in place.

edit: And symbian's 98% was chump change, as we were talking about smartphones, which were much less % of total phones. Now they are more than 50%, android is going for world domination™, symbian was far from it.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-11-30 at 16:37.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
-Getting it out quick.

Actually I sat down with both XCode and HELLClipse last week because I was the only at work who had some time over to fix some issues with an app we done for Android and IOS.

And I seriously can say that "little fix" I made took around two days. Yes I know the ordinary people probadly would fix the issues faster. But XCode seems to be a ****ing mess and when talk about AndroidSDK/Eclipse I can say I have worked with Heclipse on lowend embedded too and it always end with that I use ordinary makefiles and arm-gdb/gcc/kateeditor because Hellclipse NEVER works as expected and often ****s up things.

And Eclipse+AndroidSDK crashed SEVERAL times last week in Linux at work. Thats definitivly not okey.

I am sure that app could be fully redone in a week in QtCreator/QML but then again the better often not win because the big coorperations brainwash people how GOOD Android/IOS is for endusers...

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
No, it's not easy to develop on iOS.

Compare that with Downloading QtCreator and just using a two step wizard to publish to extras-devel for the N900....
What's being ignored though, the lack of quality control on the Qt apps that have come out. Some of them just plain should have never come out. Shoddy UI, lack of error capturing, severe lack of understanding on how to manage memory leaks... I get and love the Qt framework, it's easy and accessible to a lot of people.

But not all people that can code should code apps. And even more should never attempt UI/UX. It's deplorable and unusable in too many cases.

Not taking up for any mobile OS and/or development workflow here. But in all instances, I can point to some shitty half-baked apps.

And if any of you bring up fart apps, I'll murder a puppy on pay-per-view. That's not what I am talking about.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
shitty half-baked apps.
Kind of the definition of a fart app.

Tags
bring me beer, downward spiral, elop is nero, let's talk bs, lumiadickweed, lumiatard, nero fiddling, nokia bears, nokiastockrock, thanks for asha