Notices

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Again, great ideas here, guys!

Originally Posted by Dr.MZ View Post
[...]
I hope I could clarify a little what I mean.
Yes, and thank you for that! It is a nice idea indeed.
I think I'll implement it in an upcoming release (not the next one, though), or create a simple "Sticky Todos" widget for this.

In the meantime, the next release will allow you to strike-through items in a note - perhaps enough for the time being?

Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
I don't know if this would be possible - but an extension of Eitam's request would be a note that pops up at a certain place - because of a GPS signal.
Good one!
However, I don't have any expertise in using the GPS sensor at all.
However, I don't have any objections against it - I may implement it later. Contributions in this area would be welcome!

Originally Posted by oved_etzot View Post
I always find myself at a shopping mall scratching my head - I know there's something here I needed to buy - and then I get home and remember
Well, you could simply write "buy bread in the supermarket" to a sticky note, this way when you look at the screen, it's there.
After you bought it, you can delete the note.

Originally Posted by eitama View Post
But. I could be developed to only work constantly when charger is connected, and like every 5 minutes when it's not connected.
If this is set to every 5 minutes, it would be most certainly possible to miss it.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-29 at 07:47.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Again, great ideas here, guys!

Yes, and thank you for that! It is a nice idea indeed.
I think I'll implement it in an upcoming release (not the next one, though), or create a simple "Sticky Todos" widget for this.

In the meantime, the next release will allow you to strike-through items in a note - perhaps enough for the time being?

Good one!
However, I don't have any expertise in using the GPS sensor at all.
However, I don't have any objections against it - I may implement it later. Contributions in this area would be welcome!

Well, you could simply write "buy bread in the supermarket" to a sticky note, this way when you look at the screen, it's there.
After you bought it, you can delete the note.

If this is set to every 5 minutes, it would be most certainly possible to miss it.
I don't think so, but, here is an idea to improve it :
- Create two modes, the GPS hibernation mode, where the phone uses gps once every 5 min to get a fix. Also scan every 1 min for wifi access points. if they have not changed dramatically from the previous minute, stay in this mode.
- If the wifi scan revealed that you have physically moved away from all the wifi access points from 1 minute ago, increase GPS fix acquisition to every 30 seconds and cancel the wifi scans.
- Allow configuration of "Home Spots" where you know you want to be in hibernation. to configure such a spot, you open the settings, and press "Set current location as home location" (there can be multiple of those.
- If you had any notes that were supposed to go off at one of your home locations, the phone will pop them as soon as you arrived to the location, and go into hibernation mode.

You can even disable GPS acquisition at all when at a home location.

Also a home location could be characterized by a network BTS (cellular network antenna with a specific ID).
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
I don't think so, but, here is an idea to improve it :
- Create two modes, the GPS hibernation mode, where the phone uses gps once every 5 min to get a fix. Also scan every 1 min for wifi access points. if they have not changed dramatically from the previous minute, stay in this mode.
- If the wifi scan revealed that you have physically moved away from all the wifi access points from 1 minute ago, increase GPS fix acquisition to every 30 seconds and cancel the wifi scans.
- Allow configuration of "Home Spots" where you know you want to be in hibernation. to configure such a spot, you open the settings, and press "Set current location as home location" (there can be multiple of those.
- If you had any notes that were supposed to go off at one of your home locations, the phone will pop them as soon as you arrived to the location, and go into hibernation mode.

You can even disable GPS acquisition at all when at a home location.

Also a home location could be characterized by a network BTS (cellular network antenna with a specific ID).
Well, not bad... the bad thing is: I am not familiar with any APIs about the stuff you wrote here.
Of course, if you are, you are welcome to contribute.

Apart from being an overkill for a simple notes app, this stuff would blow up the battery no matter how you try.

Anyways, the network cell ID seems to be the least power hog among the ideas - the problem is, you don't know the cell ID near the shop (unless you are there), and also there is no guarantee that the cell ID won't change until the next time you get there.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Well, not bad... the bad thing is: I am not familiar with any APIs about the stuff you wrote here.
Of course, if you are, you are welcome to contribute.

Apart from being an overkill for a simple notes app, this stuff would blow up the battery no matter how you try.

Anyways, the network cell ID seems to be the least power hog among the ideas - the problem is, you don't know the cell ID near the shop (unless you are there), and also there is no guarantee that the cell ID won't change until the next time you get there.
I don't think it would kill the battery.
When the N900 is not connected to wifi, it scans for wifi networks anyway all the time, unless you use WifiSwitcher.
So that is already been done, all you need is to get the info.
How? I don't know, but if you decide to go for this, i'll do my best to help you find out.
About GPS, thats even easier and there are a lot of examples on how to get a gps fix. Iv'e manage to do it with python, so I can only imagine I can do it with Qt...

Then it's just a matter of a simple IF to check if you current XY coordinates are anywhere near the ones you set for the note to pop up. I think it's a nice challenge to do this and will put amazing use of technology into a practical life need.
For example, to buy a 6 pack on the way home on a game night.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Sounded lika great app, installed it but I have a few issues, don't mean to whine...Maybe its just my expectations, but I don't want a sticky note on my desktop all the time, only when I have something that I should really, really remember. Thats how I normally use sticky notes (ie the paper ones).

So I have three issues:
  • To start the app from the icon is quite slow, 10 secs or so, any chance to improve that or is this just Maemo?
  • Also, after starting the program (with other apps open in the background), it jumps to the app switcher, then I have to switch back to desktop, and then delete the "your Notes here!" text - whereas what I'd like to do is to start writing my Note directly, like just clicking the icon and type.
  • There is no way (I've found) to determine any defaults- where the first sticky note pops up and what color it should be. Now it lands on top of my calendar in not so transparent black...

All-in-all, it is involving several steps and relatively time consuming to make a little note. Any chance that you could and would work your magic to improve any of these issues?

The ability to have notes pop up after or at a certain time (as suggested earlier in this thread) would be super. I would also much appreciate a safety step so deleting a note becomes more error-proof, now its just one accidental click away.

But GPS integration...errrm...GPS needs a line of sight to the satellite so it wouldn't work in a shopping mall, only when you drive by. And then you would need to define an area for each geo-tagged note, I guess. Sorry, but this sounds a little bit like bloatware without much practical use, at least for me. Please keep an option to stay with a no-frills small app "Sticky notes plain" if you're serious with developing this.

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 2010-06-29 at 10:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Hi venemo,
two satisfied users here, too.
As far as text selection, formatting (ref. is to bold and strikethrough ideas) and so on are involved, an idea for the UI could be to use 'modes' a la 'vi editor'
I mean, when you double click on the widget, the widget could evidence himself (and all the instances), so intercepting all the events instead of leaving the desktop able to do so. This way it will become possible to select text with fingers or stylus, CTRL+C CTRL+V, ETC.
While in this 'edit mode', the bottom menubar will be changed or customized by the user, with a specific button to exit the editor and to go back to desktop system. You could also add a top bar to move notes around the desktop or to select which note should appear over which other if multiple notes are shown... Don't know what could be doable and how much effort could be needed, but it's a brainstorm.
Thank you for the app anyway, something like that was really needed!

Last edited by jurop88; 2010-06-29 at 09:56. Reason: typos... posted from my 900 ;)

The Following User Says Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Nice app. Personally, I think you should be wary of feature creep. Features like notes that act like alarms or location-specific notes or to-do lists should probably be separate apps.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Nice app. Personally, I think you should be wary of feature creep
Agreed.

Keep it lean and mean.

There is potential for spin-offs though - the Location Sensitive reminder app / the Tasks app / the *Scribble rather than type* the notes app.

The Following User Says Thank You to SallyJane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
Sounded lika great app, installed it but I have a few issues, don't mean to whine...
No problem, this is why there is a thread for this!

To start the app from the icon is quite slow, 10 secs or so, any chance to improve that or is this just Maemo?
It shouldn't be that slow, but for some reason it is.
You should know hovever that the app itself is running in the background - sitting there and doing nothing all the time - the icon just asks the running app to place a new widget on the screen.

Note that you can also do this with the Desktop menu / Add Widget menu. It may be a little quicker.

I'm considering removing the app menu icon alltogether (or changing its purpose).

Also, after starting the program (with other apps open in the background), it jumps to the app switcher, then I have to switch back to desktop, and then delete the "your Notes here!" text
The next version will have the "Your notes here" removed by default when you first click on the note.

- whereas what I'd like to do is to start writing my Note directly, like just clicking the icon and type.
Point taken. What would you think about another which would be as small as a shortcut whose purpose would solely to create new notes?

There is no way (I've found) to determine any defaults- where the first sticky note pops up and what color it should be.
If you use the + button on an existing widget, the new one will "inherit" the colour from that one.

The next version will have a settings dialog in which you can set these stuff rather easily for any new widget.

Now it lands on top of my calendar in not so transparent black...
Well, Hildon decides where the note goes. By default it tries to arrange it in such a way that it doesn't intersect with anything on the desktop. If this is not possible, it just places it in the upper left corner.
I have plans to make the widget easily movable (without entering edit mode), but it can be a little tricky - the desktop doesn't send any drag events to the widget.

All-in-all, it is involving several steps and relatively time consuming to make a little note. Any chance that you could and would work your magic to improve any of these issues?
Yes. User experience is a top priority for me for this little app.

The ability to have notes pop up after or at a certain time (as suggested earlier in this thread) would be super. I would also much appreciate a safety step so deleting a note becomes more error-proof, now its just one accidental click away.
Now this is a good idea.
My thought is a pop-up message asking if you really want to delete the note.
Will this suffice?

But GPS integration...errrm...GPS needs a line of sight to the satellite so it wouldn't work in a shopping mall, only when you drive by. And then you would need to define an area for each geo-tagged note, I guess. Sorry, but this sounds a little bit like bloatware without much practical use, at least for me. Please keep an option to stay with a no-frills small app "Sticky notes plain" if you're serious with developing this.
Well, I agree with you on this one.

Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
I mean, when you double click on the widget, the widget could evidence himself (and all the instances), so intercepting all the events instead of leaving the desktop able to do so.
Well, I would be grateful if you can tell me how to do this, or either point me to someone who can.
As it stands, the desktop widgets (neither of them) simply doesn't get any drag events from the desktop.

This way it will become possible to select text with fingers or stylus, CTRL+C CTRL+V, ETC.
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V, and such are already possible. Also possible to select text with Shift + arrow keys.
(The only feature missing is selecting them by dragging - which is not possible because of the reasons above. If you know a workaround or someone who knows a workarund, it is welcome.)

Don't know what could be doable and how much effort could be needed, but it's a brainstorm.
Thank you for the app anyway, something like that was really needed!
Thanks!
Your ideas are good - although some of them are simply can't be implemented because of the limitations of Hildon-desktop.

About your toolbar idea - it is not bad (was already recommended), but I don't have an idea about how to fit it onto the finger-friendly UI.

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Nice app. Personally, I think you should be wary of feature creep. Features like notes that act like alarms or location-specific notes or to-do lists should probably be separate apps.
Well, good thought.
There is already an alarm built-in to Maemo.
As for location-aware alarm, that is a good idea for a separate app.

I'm afraid it is out of my scope for Sticky Notes.
(Still, if someone wants to implement it, I'll happily include the feature.)

Although the sticky todo widget is easily doable, so I will create that in some time.

Last edited by Venemo; 2010-06-29 at 12:34.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Although the sticky todo widget is easily doable, so I will create that in some time.
I believe nicolai was also looking into a To Do widget that would interact with the To Do list in Calendar (like his extended calendar widget but separate). Of course, healthy competition is OSS is good if you want to make your own!

Tags
application, maemo 5, notes, sticky notes, widget