Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
X-Mobile? Who or what is that? Has that been mentioned before? Did I miss something?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
X-Mobile? Who or what is that? Has that been mentioned before? Did I miss something?
It's the domain part of Michael's email address

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
What are the other lawsuits about? I'm wondering if that might tell us if they are scammers or just incompetent...
Let me check with the legal consultant first and I will forward as much as it can be posted. It's quite a lot of information.

Some of them can already be found online, for example this on last November. Although the content was hidden but can be viewed after logging in.

There are quite a few others which I am checking and will be shared at a later stage.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well dang. I had high hopes, exercised caution, showed optimism only for it to fail.

Personally, this probably will be my very last attempt to support any of these kind of endeavors. If it is not ready to ship, I will treat it as vaporware.

My lack of trust is only for hardware manufacturers that have not proven themselves quite yet. The community has earned that respect.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
The lesson i finally learn is, you can absolutely fail with best intentions in mind.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Personally, this probably will be my very last attempt to support any of these kind of endeavors. If it is not ready to ship, I will treat it as vaporware.
Still some more differentiation is possible. I would support a project that learned the same lesson and finally treats community investors as what they are, brave high risc investors.
In my business life, i reported to investors weekly and to even get their attention and trust to start with, we agreed on phases and goals to be reached, bound to prospected amounts of investment money to be released.

The main problem for the future is practicabillity.
Dealing with one or two investors is hard enough and i do not see how we as a loose community could pull off an escrow like system to make such things happen our even take control of anything.

Business wise, the one who should provide this service and really has to learn its lesson to make their business future proof is indigogo and alikes. Also, that's the adress you all should put your grime as this is propably the only party still making profit under any circumstances.

More control/rules on crowdfunding sites would have aided in both cases. An overambitious and pink-glass wearing youyota would have realized much earlier that selfset goals are unreachable, protecting them from lying to themselfes. A fraudulent youyota could have called out, or "system inherently" stopped much earlier.

Last edited by mosen; 2018-05-14 at 09:12.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
The lesson i finally learn is, you can absolutely fail with best intentions in mind.

Still some more differentiation is possible. I would support a project that learned the same lesson and finally treats community investors as what they are, brave high risc investors.
In my business life, i reported to investors weekly and to even get their attention and trust to start with, we agreed on phases and goals to be reached, bound to prospected amounts of investment money to be released.

The main problem for the future is practicabillity.
Dealing with one or two investors is hard enough and i do not see how we as a loose community could pull of an escrow like system to make such things happen our even take control of anything.

Business wise, the one who should provide this service and really has to learn its lesson to make their business future proof is indigogo and alikes. Also, that's the adress you all should put your grime as this is propably the only party still making profit under any circumstances.

More control/rules on crowdfunding sites would have aided in both cases. An overambitious and pink glass wearing youyota would have realized much earlier that even early selfset goals are unreachable, protecting them from lying to themselfes. A fraudulent youyota could have called out, our "system inherently" stopped much earlier.

I can only agree; transparency is what makes a high-risk transaction (like the tablet for instance) more realistic. Also, investors (if you have found the right ones) might even be able to "pull strings" and help.
It sounds to me hard to believe that the authors of this campain would not step forward and just say "no go due to XXX"; that would have been an easy way out to settle things and manage expectations (I mean failing is an option).
My point here being; is it *really* so hard to produce 4000 tablets which run SFOS nowadays (which is likely given the old cpu's); or is it just an excuse?

EDIT: I guess what Jolla could do, is to release under the Creative commons the tablet design?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2018-05-14 at 09:40.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
I followed this topic with close attention form the beggining, one of the things I thought it was wrong was the fact that they iirc initially targeted 1000 units but then the factory asked for a minimun of 3000 unit production, this sounds like a big fail to me. Then the memory prices gonne up. I really dont know how production and selling hardware works, but shouldnt they get some kind of pre contract with the factory and material supplier before they launch the igg campaing ? Also imho flexible funding seems wrong to this kind of campain, fixed funding would have been more transparent. Because all the tablet schmatic was done, it was the same from Jolla, all they needed was to reach the minimum of backers to fill the factory minimum batch production.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by john_god View Post
I followed this topic with close attention form the beggining, one of the things I thought it was wrong was the fact that they iirc initially targeted 1000 units but then the factory asked for a minimun of 3000 unit production, this sounds like a big fail to me. Then the memory prices gonne up. I really dont know how production and selling hardware works, but shouldnt they get some kind of pre contract with the factory and material supplier before they launch the igg campaing ? Also imho flexible funding seems wrong to this kind of campain, fixed funding would have been more transparent. Because all the tablet schmatic was done, it was the same from Jolla, all they needed was to reach the minimum of backers to fill the factory minimum batch production.
I think what happened was they expected.a bigger user base / igg backers base.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Originally Posted by tortoisedoc View Post
I think what happened was they expected.a bigger user base / igg backers base.
But then the procedure should be "sorry we failed rather than we will blend it somehow, stay tuned!"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Wolda View Post
But then the procedure should be "sorry we failed rather than we will blend it somehow, stay tuned!"
You will probobly not see that. IF you look att Jolla campaign and how they handle it was pretty much the same. Better to keep, use the money and Staling and stal some more and less people care. It’s been years and the campaign is still not closed. It took planty of months for jolla before they communicated anything. Not even me cares anymore. I’m waiting for the final countdown from jolla any day now. Sad but true...

Anyhow...
Sorry to see this failed campaign even if I expected this outcome.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-05-14 at 18:56.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os