Active Topics

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Pity or shame?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
All I want is a Sailfish tablet. I don't really care who makes it; but so far I've been trying to get my hands on one for the past several years without success. I was really hoping this might be my chance...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
So, here we are one year later, and of course there is no tablet in sight... I pity the fools who threw money after this project considering what a fiasco Jolla's own attempt was. I guess you are gluttons for punishment.
Personally, I only threw money at this as I thought Chen was a bit more involved than he actually is , I was happy to back him knowing there was a real possibility it might not happen.

The only ‘pity’ is I didn’t know who I was really backing when I paid my hard earned , if I knew what I did now I wouldn’t have touched it with a shtty stick.

Hope it arrives , but no breath is being held .

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:
so this seems to be a bummer.
lets assume the intentions were legit;
what kind of difficulties would youyota have had to cope with?
Limited hw prod batches?
Inexisting prioritization due to low ammounts?
what else?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Dec 2015 @ Hungary
I am not sure that I have followed the story properly, but I smell fishy things.

From IGG:
We have already spent quite a lot bought 3000 screen pcs and SoCs, it's the last bit of memory being too pricey and PCB factory constantly push back delivery date unless paying for express service.
I am unsure about what margin does these guys work, but given the fact that if I count right 573 orders were placed on IGG I seem the following options:

- They manufacture 3000 and financing it from the 160K USD. The frozen cost + shipping in this case should be below 53 USD /tablet (which I doubt)
- Someone put money to it to finance the rest of the tablets. Putting money to manufacture a 3 year old design targeted to a limited audience does not seems to be a wise business plan. (I doubt this as well)
- It might be the case that the guys did not estimated well or have not done proper research on the component/mfg prices and MOQs before the campaing in the few thousand range. Now they simply ran out of money and they start disappearing.
- It was a scam from the beginning.

My bet is between 3 or 4.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to martonmiklos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by tommo View Post
Personally, I only threw money at this as I thought Chen was a bit more involved than he actually is , I was happy to back him knowing there was a real possibility it might not happen.

The only ‘pity’ is I didn’t know who I was really backing when I paid my hard earned , if I knew what I did now I wouldn’t have touched it with a shtty stick.

Hope it arrives , but no breath is being held .
@Tommo First of all I apologise for the situation being like this and out of my ability.

What my intention was to make this opportunity happen, and I connected various parties to start it. And as soon as it was launched I did not get involved at any aspect other than asking for progress and chasing for updates for the community.

I have to say I was bit over optimistic at the beginning and also should not thought some others being as honest and keep the promises as I do.

I will help you (and other members) fight back for the contribution. I will have my own way but that might take a few weeks to months. Despite it might takes time but Chen won't be disappearing and I will do whatever I can to help you.

Until the date when this mess is closed, I am with you together.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by martonmiklos View Post
I am not sure that I have followed the story properly, but I smell fishy things.

From IGG:

I am unsure about what margin does these guys work, but given the fact that if I count right 573 orders were placed on IGG I seem the following options:

- They manufacture 3000 and financing it from the 160K USD. The frozen cost + shipping in this case should be below 53 USD /tablet (which I doubt)
- Someone put money to it to finance the rest of the tablets. Putting money to manufacture a 3 year old design targeted to a limited audience does not seems to be a wise business plan. (I doubt this as well)
- It might be the case that the guys did not estimated well or have not done proper research on the component/mfg prices and MOQs before the campaing in the few thousand range. Now they simply ran out of money and they start disappearing.
- It was a scam from the beginning.

My bet is between 3 or 4.
Assuming them to onboard themselves into this enterprise without having clarified the costs would not only be stupid; it would also prove them to be unprofessional.

Also, this has been misleading from the beginning.
I do not understand how this could not be more in the clear (cost-wise etc).

So this makes me choose the simpler version, point 4.
If hypotetically this is true, It's amazing that the same scam happened *twice*.

But theres also the third way; that the success of the campaign on IGG was not as big as expected; and therefore the funding would not have been enough. Tho I think this is still possible; it's VERY gray/shady territory, which gives lead to alot of different possible scenarios, including scamming ones.

For the reference, as I was tempted to join, I for once decided not to become a hairbringer of doom (luckily). Sorry for the ones who still did tho .

@chenliangchen, would you be able to share more info on the ammount of costs of parts? Or where to look them up?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2018-04-02 at 08:44.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 456 times | Joined on Jan 2017 @ Portugal
@chenliangchen I'm developing a rpg game where there's a mobile factory in a burning plataform in the midle of the ocean. A small boat tries to save the phones from drowning in the ocean with all the explosions in the factory (I'm not joking, I already have some game levels fully working). I was thinking about adding a level where 2 heros from the resistance, Chen and Mike, try to push for new tablet devices, to help ease the sadden people by the lack of good comunication devices. I hope it's ok with you, I will not be using real names. The only problem I have now it's that the Youyota tablet delivery seems to be failling, not sure if I shoould axe that level.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to john_god For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
From the comments, the direct mail address of Michael has been given, with a tip that its domain looks like dead. It is accessible but with the following (google translated) error message:
Tips: The site is temporarily unavailable

Reason 1: According to the relevant regulations of the Ministry of Industry and Information , you have not yet filed for the record;

Second reason: According to the relevant regulations of the Ministry of Industry and Information , your current access provider is not Hangzhou Huayan;

Reason 3: Your website may have information that is inappropriate for dissemination. Please contact your webmaster.

This page is the default prompt page. If there are any problems with the website, please handle it in time. Thank you for your cooperation!
Looking through archive.org, it looks like it has been that way since somewhere between the 10th of November 2016 and the 26th of April 2017, so not something new:
https://web.archive.org/web/20161110...letech.com:80/

Also, I found another Youyota project on Indiegogo that I don't remember : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/y...-keyboard-pc#/
The project is closed without any backing. Not sure if it was opened at some time though. Expected delivery of this one was November 2017, so could have been opened around the same time as the tablet.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by john_god View Post
@chenliangchen I'm developing a rpg game where there's a mobile factory in a burning plataform in the midle of the ocean. A small boat tries to save the phones from drowning in the ocean with all the explosions in the factory (I'm not joking, I already have some game levels fully working). I was thinking about adding a level where 2 heros from the resistance, Chen and Mike, try to push for new tablet devices, to help ease the sadden people by the lack of good comunication devices. I hope it's ok with you, I will not be using real names. The only problem I have now it's that the Youyota tablet delivery seems to be failling, not sure if I shoould axe that level.
Can you include a bonus level where mysterious Michael is sat on a beach in Thailand with bags full of cash ? Just a thought ....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tommo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os