Fanoush: Sorry. Since both had your name at the bottom as the last person to edit, I made the (erroneous) assumption that you were the one primarily responsible and to whom to give primary credit. Didn't mean to offend, or slight another contributor. It won't happen again, at least from me.

Well needless to say I´ve encountered the infamous endless reboot loop on that partition...
Is there a way to clear the lifeguard reset flag on a mmc partition?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by tolou View Post
Well needless to say I´ve encountered the infamous endless reboot loop on that partition...
Is there a way to clear the lifeguard reset flag on a mmc partition?
No it is not property of any partition, it is global flag. Also it can only be set via flasher over usb (i.e. not possible from device itself). You can still boot internal flash and fix mmc from the device or fix it with linux computer and card reader if you know what is broken. Or one can just backup data and start from scratch. Also if you use ext2, e2fsck might fix something.

How does your endless reboot loop look like i.e. when exactly it reboots and what is on the display?

The progressbar is stopping at 1/4:th with the NOKIA splash screen. (I can hear a faint "fizzling" sound from the unit). Reboots after some 5 secs.

I read through this entire thread and all the info in the wiki, and basically everything worked out fine. It is faster. I do have a few questions though.

1) I have a 4GB (non-SDHC) in the internal slot, this is the only card. When I partitioned the card this is what I did:

# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0
/dev/mmcblk0p1:1,100000,6
/dev/mmcblk0p2:100001,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:

I expected to get a VFAT of 3.2GB and the rest for LINUX_83, but the VFAT maxed out at 2GB.

Is there a way that I can use the rest of the 4GB card? either make another VFAT partition, or better yet, increase the 2GB to the 3.2GB? I am not that familar with Linux and can not figure it out from the man pages. Is there a Windows util/prog that I could use for this?

2) I setup 128 MB of virtual mem in the VFAT partition. When I plug in the USB it says that "Unable to connect via USB. Memory card in use: Internal memory card" Is this normal when booting from MMC? The internal card is not accessible again until I reboot. I would like to be able to access the VFAT partition on this card with USB.

Thanks

I fixed my first problem by re-formating the VFAT partition to FAT32 in Windows. I now have 3.05GB of space to use.

After removing the .swap file, I still have the same problem outlined in 2) above. Once the USB cable is plugged in I lose access to the internal memory card. Since the removable card can not be accessed by USB it is kind of a pain to have to remove the internal memory card to put data on it.

Is this normal when booting from mmc?

Thanks...

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by GeerGuy View Post
Once the USB cable is plugged in I lose access to the internal memory card. Since the removable card can not be accessed by USB it is kind of a pain to have to remove the internal memory card to put data on it.

Is this normal when booting from mmc?
See post #154 two pages back for solution.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
When at the tar step, I had no problem with a 2GB Kingston RS-MMC. When I try on a 4GB Transcend SD card, tar always stalls at a random point and I have brutely to reboot (extract battery). This won't likely be healthy for my device. Any hint?

EDIT: the last time I tried, it bricked by n800 and had to reflash

SOLVED: for some strange reason it has been necessary to avoid verbose output of the tar extracting part, so it works with "tar xf" instead of "tar xvf".

Last edited by debernardis; 2007-05-20 at 05:27.

I following this thread and the informations in the wiki and got the booting from MMC working great. I have been using and setting up my device for the last few weeks and I have it just the way I want it.

If/when there is new firmware, will I have to go through this procedure again and start with a clean system or is it possible to upgrade and keep all the installed programs and setting?

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Singapore
Alright, i need some pointers here.

I followed the procedures and had everything set up properly. However, when i boot up using the MMC partion, it works fine for about 30s and reboots.

So this morning, i reflashed the firmware, installed dbserver and xterm, and followed the procedures again. Same thing, works fine for 30s and reboots.

Doubt this will make any difference, but i used the tar program that came along with the latest firmware. It was there by default, never had to install it despite what the instructions said.

Last edited by torx; 2007-05-31 at 04:41.