Originally Posted by MstPrgmr View Post
Um, no. You can install the same exact OS 2008 on your N800 as the N810 users are using right now. It is same EXACT version.
How in the world can it be the "same exact version"? The leaked version that i put on my N800 and took off after a while was abysmal in most areas. Youtube was much better, but that was it. Everything else that mattered to me on OS 2007 wasn't there. No FM, Skype (yet, but why is it a different version), BT stereo, every website i went to crashed, multimedia was still pathetic at best (still can't handle DivX/XviD decently when my dinky 312mhz Treo can, with flair)....and so on.

It looked like an unfinished beta that was leaked. I don't think that the leaked P.O.S we N800 users went to hades and back to install is wholly the finished and polished version on the N810.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by merovingian View Post
How in the world can it be the "same exact version"? The leaked version that i put on my N800 and took off after a while was abysmal in most areas. Youtube was much better, but that was it. Everything else that mattered to me on OS 2007 wasn't there. No FM, Skype (yet, but why is it a different version), BT stereo, every website i went to crashed, multimedia was still pathetic at best (still can't handle DivX/XviD decently when my dinky 312mhz Treo can, with flair)....and so on.

It looked like an unfinished beta that was leaked. I don't think that the leaked P.O.S we N800 users went to hades and back to install is wholly the finished and polished version on the N810.

>> http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...6444#post96444

It is the same version everyone else reports works well on the N800.

The programs you are missing are exactly why it will be officially released sometime in December. Perhaps by then it will have more support for programs used by current N800 owners.

New N810 owners get to wait just like we did when the N800 was released...

I think that's what Nokia calls the "Internet Tablet experience".

Last edited by YoDude; 2007-11-24 at 21:11.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA

Wow.

Funny, that doesn't come close to describing my experience with the unfinished versions. Amazing how that happens.

And I think I better understand why we don't officially release beta versions now. Sheesh.

I feel that the unreleased os2008 works fine. I flashed just before I traveled to LA and the os was very stable, movies worked great in ukmp, as did fbreader. The battery life is incredible, as I only had to charge it once in the entire 8 days I was there. BT networking was great for browsing in the car and looking up stuff. All in all it was a great experience and I didn't even take my laptop (dell latitude d420) out the entire time I was there.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ St.Petersburg, FL
i to have had nothing but a great experience with os2008 on my n800. browsing is much better in comparison to os2007 for me. youtube works much better. and i still have kagu, gpe syncing with gcalender, vpn, rdesktop, etc... i did hope i'd have a2dp, not just with kagu, but no luck there.

Last edited by blakboy98; 2007-11-25 at 05:18.

Posts: 169 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
@texrat, funny, I read that as exactly why you *should* release betas.

Nokia has an open platform in the ITs, they're releasing a new *operating system* upgrade, but each model gets handled like a new phone with yet another firmware variant on it.

They're not controlling expectations properly as a result, nor are they giving computer developers the process they're used to -- installing and testing on existing hardware before a final release.

As a Preview Release or Early Adopter Release of OS2008 on my N800, it's fantastic, and I *definitely* don't want to go back. But I read everything I could find about its development, and my expectations were well set.

Ah well, they're new -- they'll figure out this whole "computer business" eventually.

Last edited by namtastic; 2007-11-25 at 07:52.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
nam, I was being a bit facetious. But if you saw the post to which I responded from my perspective, though, you'd see the frustration, too. That's not beta-grade feedback, it's unrealistic grousing ("POS"??? please.).

I'd love for the OS to go through at least a slightly broader testing phase, including some sort of public beta--- but if people are going to cavalierly rip into an OS version under the given install circumstances, well... I can maybe see why it doesn't. Note for the record that I have zero responsibility in that regard, in case someone reads the wrong thing into my comments.

divx/xvid is old news. Use h264. Every Ipodversion of Podcasts I downloaded played without any problems.

(still can't handle DivX/XviD decently when my dinky 312mhz Treo can, with flair)
Gotta agree with you on this point. Given the popularity of the DivX/Xvid I'm really puzzled that the codec wasn't included in OS2008. Especially given that Xvid is free.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Given the popularity of the DivX/Xvid I'm really puzzled that the codec wasn't included in OS2008. Especially given that Xvid is free.
Why do you say it isn't? DivX/Xvid plays back perfectly as a codec: it's just bitrate and resolution which can cause problems.

All the media converters, with the exception of Nokia's ITVC, output DivX/Xvid files; this "it doesn't play DivX" meme is just plain wrong. It should be "it doesn't play a random DivX I downloaded from BitTorrent" :-)