This might have been mentioned already so apologies for re-asking. HTML5 is client side, right? What happens when you want to write data to somewhere a bit more permanent than the browser's (or whatever the client is called) cache/cookie jar?
Clients only work if there's a server to provide the content so now Meego is being replaced with an OS that's all about client side technology, what's supporting it? Can on-device servers be written in a client side API?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
This might have been mentioned already so apologies for re-asking. HTML5 is client side, right? What happens when you want to write data to somewhere a bit more permanent than the browser's (or whatever the client is called) cache/cookie jar?
Clients only work if there's a server to provide the content so now Meego is being replaced with an OS that's all about client side technology, what's supporting it? Can on-device servers be written in a client side API?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebSocket
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Not really relevant to the whole "Meego is dead" but from what I can see WebSockets is/are an alternative to AJAX. After a quick dig (should have looked earlier - sorry!) I see there's the emergent FileSystem API ... mmm ... we'll soon see how safe that is!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
I would imagine Tizen and Meltemi will use the WAC api for HTML5 apps that want to use device capabilities. Carriers are pushing to have WAC implemented so they can have their own app stores with offerings that work on all the smartphones they offer.

With regards to the C/C++ v JavaScript debate, you might find this blog by Havoc Pennington interesting: Embeddable Languages.

Personally I'd like to avoid low level stuff like C unless there's a bottleneck to alleviate, scripting is just easier.

It's better for manufacturers to limit 3rd party developers to managed environments too, it stops their reputation being tarnished by a crashing app taking the OS down with it.

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, html != c/c++, meego is dead