Originally Posted by Maemish View Post
Can the video be put out also in a form that can be watched with N900?
If someone put it somewhere with a direct link, it may be played using mplayer.

However, I am afraid today's high resolution videos can not be played directly on N900, I think it should be converted to a lower resolution / bitrate.

Maybe 720p still works anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Cabus, the only force needed ...
Sorry, I meant... Tell Chen my greeting "Use the Force"... He'll know

My english is Kugelschreiber...

--

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
New Huawei OS Shock: 'Confirmation' Of Russian Software For Mobile Devices
---
Great in that it may bring more devices with sailfish to market, which means more software possible. Unless everyone just load android software .
Originally Posted by VaZso View Post
I hope for Sailfish OS to become more popular, thus, more developers would write applications for it.

I hope it won't be directly "connected" (in mind) to be like "backdoor" and at least such code will not enter to Sailfish itself.
Reading through the last few pages this evening, I begin to wonder what is 'the way forward' for SFOS that would be popular with the members here?

- If SFOS becomes an independent commercial success, via the efforts of Rostelecom or Huawei or some other means, then it will gain support from all the other 'closed' so-called services, meaning native twitter, fb, whatsapp etc. I'm not sure how that can happen without bringing along all the associated horrors of tracking, surveillance and constant advertising.

- If it doesn't get significant commercial growth, then it seems it must constantly fall further behind the main market devices, just due to the number of man-hours brought to bear. There are probably more developers working on any one obscure FB feature than on the entire of SFOS.

- Running android apps doesn't seem a long term solution for the same reason. There's a commercial imperative for android to update often and significantly, it drives the sales of new hardware. Keeping some form of VM up to date enough keep the 'common' user happy has the same problem of effort required.

So what is the 'optimum' future for SFOS? Am I just being pessimistic and missing it?

(Don't misunderstand me - I don't ask much from a mobile - a decent dialer, sms and contacts app, a mostly functional browser, and a linux terminal with python and networking and I'm happy. Add in a HWKB and I'm ecstatic I'm just wondering where everyone sees this going in the long term?)

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
(Don't misunderstand me - I don't ask much from a mobile - a decent dialer, sms and contacts app, a mostly functional browser, and a linux terminal with python and networking and I'm happy. Add in a HWKB and I'm ecstatic I'm just wondering where everyone sees this going in the long term?)
I would add also good camera, MMS, functional browser, PureMaps is already good in SFOS and then i hope functional browser and very good email client and oh, almost forgot... functional browser.

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
I would add also good camera, MMS, functional browser, PureMaps is already good in SFOS and then i hope functional browser and very good email client and oh, almost forgot... functional browser.
Yes, a fully functional browser is mandatory.
I would also add to the good e-mail client the support of 3rd-party service providers and aliases.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VaZso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
I would add also good camera
If I try to say anything about the SFOS camera UI, I will start swearing and not stop. Let's not go there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by epninety View Post
- .... I'm not sure how that can happen without bringing along all the associated horrors of tracking, surveillance and constant advertising.

- If it doesn't get significant commercial growth, then it seems it must constantly fall further behind the main market devices, just due to the number of man-hours brought to bear.

- Running android apps doesn't seem a long term solution for the same reason.

So what is the 'optimum' future for SFOS? Am I just being pessimistic and missing it?
- This will surely be a challenge for the community and for jolla. I don't want another iOS or android that lock you in via many closed apps.

I think I would be okay with the UI being closed and maybe just maybe a few special features. But I think if jolla was smart they would make sure to balance new grow with more openness. However with Nemomobile, all those app should be easily ported. And if qt get more love than even better able to run on multiple OS ... kinda of less likely.

- I never thought being able to run android apps was a good investment in building a 3 mobile platform. It's okay for short term, but somehow jolla need to pay/convince/have users lobby for their favorite software/popular ones.

- Sailfish in my opinion is currently the best choice and the coolest looking alternative OS to the big 2. If the grow of KaiOS is any indication, if you find the users the big boy software companies will a come knocking. Like facebook, youtube, Google Assistant, Google Maps., instagram, twitter all add their services to kaiOS.

So there is always hope.

x

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Hey Folks, is there any thing someone wants me to check for while I'm at the fx pro event? I'll try and answer them all, but no guarantees :P

x

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I am intersted in call quality on both sides. Maybe you could do a test call?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ravelo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Hey Folks, is there any thing someone wants me to check for while I'm at the fx pro event? I'll try and answer them all, but no guarantees :P

x
There already is a list of questions compiled at the Discord Channel that spawned from the FXforums

Invite with 1 day validity https://discord.gg/6NDUWQ
EDIT, the questions are pinned to the #nyquestions tag subchannel.

Probably we will see some live chat action there with participants.
But, having attended 2 meetings already i need to warn everyone to not expect too much interaction on any channel.
The timeframe is much shorter than in Ddorf and i can guarantee once the attendees get imersed into testing the pro1, time flies in that special dimension.

Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
I am intersted in call quality on both sides. Maybe you could do a test call?
Was tested in Ddorf and found to have a loud and clear earpiece. Do not remember any problems on the other side of the connection.

Last edited by mosen; 2019-08-29 at 08:45.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit