Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Their app gap deficiency is only second to perhaps Jolla.
Except you can run Android apps on your Jolla and that's a better situation than the lack lustre native Windows apps if they exist at all.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Except you can run Android apps on your Jolla and that's a better situation than the lack lustre native Windows apps if they exist at all.
So jolla native apps are better? Really?

The Following User Says Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Very true.

But in the end, I was really talking about 3rd party support but I was not clear about that - my apologies. Without Android support installed - which is something the purists seem to love to proclaim they'll never do - out of the box experience for Windows Phone and for Jolla are somewhat limited in those areas.

With Android, that perceived app gap is lessened on Sailfish. But the 3rd party support is still sorely lacking on both WP and Sailfish natively.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
So,

Some of us (I did!) bought a Nokia _linux_ phone (n900) wayyyyy back then
which has outlasted the entire span of Microsoft's Nokia Elopement.
Has anyone explained to him what a complete m0r0n he was ?

My n900 still rings, it is still my primary go-to phone and I still answer it

(How many is 'some of us' ? I wonder...)

Awesome

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
My n900 still rings, it is still my primary go-to phone and I still answer it
Same here (except that primary part: thanks to Jolla's stupidest decision ever, I had to cut my SIM card to an incompatible format and am stuck with Jolla as my primary phone). But I fail to see any relevance between that and OP's point. I have lots of friends and relatives who have not jumped on the "smart" phone bandwagon and are still using their 15 years old Nokias. They also still ring etc. So what?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
..., it is still my primary go-to phone and ...

(How many is 'some of us' ? I wonder...)
Me too. Me too!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
I am still owning a windows phone with Nokia logo, as mentioned above I love the camera and Nokia's design and build (Not the latest Microsoft Lumia, they are ugly) and I can sync with Xbox live. In general I don't like the OS, not for "app gap" but the OS itself is not smart and inefficient. For example I keep all my photos on a large SD card since 808 time but that's messed by the stupid OS, it generates a lower res duplicate copy and creates a few GBs of junk and I can only view the super lower res photos on it. What a joke! The 808 with 512mb ram does a much better job!

Unlike mainstream medias I found the apps are more than enough, I only need apps which can not obtain on web, like WhatsApp or WeChat, these are good enough. I can't understand what they are missing. I found every app I used on other platform, and some even better (like Youtube without ads) Folks get cheated by these stupid social media.

I feel more sad with the dying of BB10, which in my opinion, was the best mobile OS which is (was) on the market. Great UI, efficient, secure. It also support Dalvik runtime so there shouldn't have any so called app gap (unless you are die hard to use google service), for OS itself it better than WP in my opinion, but sadly it's also dying.

Just a few years ago we have new devices of Maemo, MeeGo, Symbian, BB10, and now plus WP and maybe SFOS, less and less survival margin for non Android and iOS mobile OS.

I have been using BB priv for almost 3 months and I just hate android now. Can't find any point better than BB10 and maybe wp. And I don't use those 1.5M bloody apps.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2016-01-31 at 21:12.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
out of the box experience for Windows Phone and for Jolla are somewhat limited in those areas.
.....and still, I would gladly take everything from their store for everything from jolla store.

The Following User Says Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
So jolla native apps are better? Really?
Rarely.

My point was that on a Jolla you have the option of using Android apps and usually the Android app is better supported than a Windows app. Often the app developer creates a Windows app but then it's not updated in line with the Android or iOS version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
out of the box experience for Windows Phone and for Jolla are somewhat limited in those areas.
.....and still, I would gladly take everything from their store for everything from jolla store.
I am not sure if I understand your meaning, might be language barrier here?
Do you mean to say that in the Windows application store there is better range of applications than in the Jolla store?

I have actually not found that to be true. I only have some applications that I really need badly, and one of those is for example the Jolla native "Working Hours Tracker" which I use at work.
Brilliant application, and nonesuch exists for WP.

The problem of the WP platform is not the UI which is after all just an UI. (I generally find all user interface stuff uninteresting and of relatively little relevance to anything.)
  • The problem is that the platform is closed and you have to use is "as-is", you cannot DO anything to it or with it.
    The development tools if they even exist are alien and run on unfamiliar and largely unusable platforms.
  • User data is not available on the device in any recognizable format, all is hidden away and the device is just a front-end for some proprietary cloud storage which makes it difficult and sometimes impossible to get it out of the device
  • It is impossible to run any kind of development environment in the device, how are you supposed to extend it by yourself? There is no command line at all!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: