Hello,

I'm taking the plunge tonight and buying my first 770. My question is should I get a larger memory card and if so what is recommended? Also will the unit recognize it or do you have to do anything special to it? What are the benefits with a larger card, can you use more apps at once?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks
JRD

get a 2gb kingston card. Someone posted that newegg is selling one for 56 bucks plus shipping. That is what I have except I bought it for 89 bucks from kingston

NokNok770, so you can confirm that the 2GByte Kingston card still works for you? Are there any caveats? I am asking because on some other forum someone reported that it wouldn't be recognized by his 770.

Thanks, Val.

I am getting my 770 today if UPS delivers on time.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You definately need a bigger memory card. You'll eat up the onboard stuff really quickly. It also depends on what you want to do. The cards are formatted FAT32 which means you need to worry about cluster size. Basically, on a 1GB card, every file takes up 16K (or maybe 32K, I forget) of space even if it's a 1 byte text file. If you want to use Maemo Mapper and have a tonne of map tiles, each one will take up 16KB. On a 2GB card each one would take up 32K. (or 64K, I forget). Someone got a card twice as big as their current one, copied the map files over and they took up twice as much space -- - oops.

Anyway, make sure 2gb cards work. There were problems with them before.