Poll: How is Geocaching and the N810 working for you?
Poll Options
How is Geocaching and the N810 working for you?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
After a few frustrating experiences with geocaching and the N810 (see thread here I decided to start a poll to see if I'm the only one out there feeling the way I do.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

I haven't tried geocaching, but I have been screwing around with the GPS.

If you want to see your GPS drift, use Maemo Mapper.
Make sure you have tracking turned on.
Go somewhere with a good satellite lock. Now sit there and twiddle your thumbs or something for a moment.
Look at the "track".
There, visualized "drift".

A note, the compass only works if you're moving.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
I use it on an n800 with a decent bluetooth GPS, works fine. I use a garmin etrex (not very accurate, but more rugged) to get close, then finish off with gpxview.

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Germany
For me it works fine. MaemoMapper + GPXView really makes geocaching easy. The gps unfortunately needs some time to get the satellite connection. But apart from caches that are hidden in forests, I have a quite enjoyable experience.

icke

Originally Posted by icke View Post
For me it works fine. MaemoMapper + GPXView really makes geocaching easy. The gps unfortunately needs some time to get the satellite connection. But apart from caches that are hidden in forests, I have a quite enjoyable experience.

icke
What he said. If you use a BT GPSr like the one that cam with the n800 car kit you get faster start ups and bit better accuracy. But this means you have now 2 batteries to keep an eye on instead of one.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Depends on the terrain, with AGPS and a clear view of the skies I get a lock in usually 20-30 seconds. OTOH tall buildings, in forest, etc, can be a bit frustrating, so if you plan on going into such places, an external GPS is recommended as the quality/speed of results is not too good (as you noticed, even if you get a lock, the error is quite big).

I must have a very good unit, because I have yet to install AGPS, and if I go outside, even if it's kinda cloudy, I get a lock with between 4 and 10 satellites within the minute.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ishida336 View Post
I must have a very good unit, because I have yet to install AGPS, and if I go outside, even if it's kinda cloudy, I get a lock with between 4 and 10 satellites within the minute.
I noticed that the latitude has much to do with GPS signal quality. I really cannot complain about my n810 at home (49 deg north), but it was awful to go geocaching with the same device when i was visiting nokia in helsinki at 60 deg north. Those 10 degrees seem to make a huge difference.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
I finally got out and did my first geocache this past weekend. Some friends joined me. We searched for 2, definitely found one, thought we found another one. The one we thought we found, we found something matching the description of what the cache was, but it was empty. We assumed that maybe the contents were taken. Mostly we were just anxious to say we found something.

I used a combination of gpx view and maemo mapper. The accuracy/error was kind of annoying that it jumped around, but it also adds to the fun of searching. To combat the jumping compass, I would just lock the compass and point the N on the compass to north, and get my general direction of where we should be looking.

Originally Posted by Nelson L. Squeeko View Post
I finally got out and did my first geocache this past weekend. Some friends joined me. We searched for 2, definitely found one, thought we found another one. The one we thought we found, we found something matching the description of what the cache was, but it was empty. We assumed that maybe the contents were taken. Mostly we were just anxious to say we found something.
The container you found without anything in it could have be another container placed out there to discourage muggle of the main cache. I don't usally place decoy container because it makes it unnecessarily harder for new cachers but there are a group i know that puts up at least 1 decoy up on all there non-urban micro caches.