Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Its nowhere near "almost" as good as N9, if its Android 2.3.X :P . I remember my SGS2... grrr...

But it works, and appswitching may not be that vital . Note is one hell of a device!

Personally Im starting to eye the lumia 900 a little :s ... i need help.

After weeks of confusion in deciding between the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy Note (or maybe Milestone4)... I've come to a decision.

The Note is simply as good as or better than the Gnex in all aspects (except size-wise and browser = Note is fastest with ICS), its defnitely worth the upgrade.

Can anyone post here with the cheapest place (Australia/online) to buy a SGNote ??
Cheers

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
For me, specs away, the killer feature on the Note is his usb host port.

Just for that (and for the huge screen) will be my new device over Galaxy Prime or Motorola Razr.

The usb-host port make the device to go for a whole new dimension.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Its nowhere near "almost" as good as N9, if its Android 2.3.X :P . I remember my SGS2... grrr...

But it works, and appswitching may not be that vital . Note is one hell of a device!

Personally Im starting to eye the lumia 900 a little :s ... i need help.
I have the n9 and the GNote and to me I can switch almost as fast between apps. And browser always go to desktop pages with tabs. love it. Better battery, USB OTG, flash when you want, styus copy/paste, but its not "real" linux It's android

the Gnote is so much better from my point of veiw. N9 is a let down for me.

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
I have the n9 and the GNote and to me I can switch almost as fast between apps. And browser always go to desktop pages with tabs. love it. Better battery, USB OTG, flash when you want, styus copy/paste, but its not "real" linux It's android

the Gnote is so much better from my point of veiw. N9 is a let down for me.
I can not agree with that, i had Note for a week and then i returned it. How can you even call that thing that Note does multitasking? It's a joke. Android still looks like it's not done yet, had 2 random black screens in one week and one reboot. If you consider that it has 1.4GHz dual core CPU the device should be faster. Not mentioning that if you don't regularly close the apps that [don't] run in the background, the battery wont even last through the day. Thank god that i was able to return it. Got myself a Nokia N9 instead and i must say i'm delighted.. A breeze of fresh air.

You can not even closely switch as fast between apps. Do this: open call log, to browser windows, notepad, music player, new sms, and oooh... say... gallery.

Now switch fom call log to first browser window, hit refresh, then to notepad, check the website refreshed, to music player, check browser window 1 again, to new sms, then gallery, go back to call log, go into second browser window and back to new sms.

If I could do that as fast with the android 2.3 as i could with N9, I wouldnt be using the N9 :P . IIRC from SGS2, thats... just not doable. Longpress the homebutton, see your last 6 opened apps (in icons, mind), click one, then the longpress again, hope that the app youve got running in the background is on that list of six, pick it, etc.

I prefer swipe->select over longpress->hope->select. Thats me tho .

Note that Im not some antiandroid dude just causing havoc just to argue here, Im just saying it doesnt compare on appswitching and saying that it does is sort of misleading for those who are considering either alternative .

have to agree that task switching with the note is slower than with Maemo, but it's as nothing compared to task LOSING :-(

I have a habit of leaving a browser session open for a while (often posting a long ramble on a forum whie simultaneously doing other background stuff & dealing with calls, texts, emails etc.on the phone as I go). Several times now, Android has arbitrarily closed down my Opera session with my long rambling post still mid-composition, despite it being the only application running on my 1GB RAM phone. Seriously unimpressed by that.

It did the same yesterday when I'd left an s-memo open to scribble down some debug info as I went through an online diagnostic log. I was adding a line to my newly created memo every 10 or so minutes. I stopped for lunch and when I came back, the s-memo was gone. Can't believe Android will just close down edited, unsaved documents like that (without even prompting first) presumably just to save a few mAh's or Megs of ram on an otherwise idle phone, WTF??

I went from Maemo to Android expecting a dissapointment in multi-tasking, and I'm sure I'll eventually find out how to disable Android's default behaviour to make it leave open stuff running until battery low or whatever, but it does indeed suck.

However that is (presumably?) an android issue rather than specific to the Note, which I'm still really happy with overall. The form factor, viewing experience and general ease/convenience of use for me continue to outweigh it's limitations in the multi-tasking dept.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
I prefer swipe->select over longpress->hope->select. Thats me tho .

I don't think the difference is as great as you make it. The Galaxy note allows you to go immediately to task manager when you press the task manager icon. So you don't have to do the longpress (which I never really liked). Maybe the Galaxy S2 doesn't have this feature? On the Note I opened up 11 processes (browser, polaris, music, calculator, calander, gallery, terminal emulator and so forth + additional three screens on the browser and I could easily move from one to another. Anyways, don't get me wrong, I like the N9 too and I agree that swipe is nice

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
You can not even closely switch as fast between apps. Do this: open call log, to browser windows, notepad, music player, new sms, and oooh... say... gallery.

Now switch fom call log to first browser window, hit refresh, then to notepad, check the website refreshed, to music player, check browser window 1 again, to new sms, then gallery, go back to call log, go into second browser window and back to new sms.
LOL that was a lot of switching... You have a valid point, I would need an N9 next to me to see how much easier it is to appswitch, but as much as you said you prefer one method over the other, I'm totally cool with the long home press of the Note.

Also just amazed at how well things like the CNN videos play on here, and the overall speed. Coming from the N900 though, it's just a hardware upgrade. Again, no N9's here in stores to play with in the USA, so I'll have to compare it later....

...but from what I've read about the N9 on here, there are things you need to 'tweak' to get it to behave the way you want. Much like when I did a fresh reflash of my N900, oh yeah need to load all the IM protocols, oh and the media codecs, sudo gainroot, CRAP the 64char wifi password at work (need the app for that), etc, etc, etc...

So far for this Note, all I've done was SuperOneClick to root it which took 7min and 38seconds. Everything else is just working, so I'm happy.

The Galaxy note allows you to go immediately to task manager when you press the task manager icon
Hm where do you find that icon? My memory might be flawed .

I remember task manager being "long press home key -> press a button called task switcher" which gave a list of running apps (not processes)?

Yeah I agree, note is pretty ****ing sweet. Better yet with ICS .

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, galaxy note