Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I was just looking at the location sharing provided by Icecondor, the android app is maybe two dozen lines, if I had the foggiest idea how to write a patch or plugin for an existing mapping app or as a standalone I would.
The location sharing was a useful feature that I miss from my OpenMoko, unfortunately the server is no longer available even if the app were ported.
Icecondor is a FOSS project which is also available for Android phones making it more useful than just sharing between the rare Maemo/Meego device.
http://github.com/icecondor
http://icecondor.com/dashboard/developers

Often we are without Internet especially when traveling where a prepaid local voice/SMS SIM card is purchased at a corner shop. Sending a standardized SMS with GPS information is very useful in this case, this app is already on OVI for the N9. The relevant code could be recycled for a new multi use or an existing app in addition to just being modified and recompiled for Fremantle.
https://gitorious.org/location2sms

Ideally location sharing would work as an optional plugin for an app or perhaps even telepathy.

Is anyone else interested in location sharing as a way to find friends with a mapping app as opposed to having visitors try to explain landmarks over the telephone? I know that I would find this as important and useful upgrade and return of dropped feature as host mode.
Apparently location sharing was supposed to be part of of the N900 telepathy and OVI Maps but was cut before release
What do you think?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Is anyone else interested in being able to seamlessly and easily import a friends GPS location into a mapping app to get directions to find them?
Of course making it an opt-in selection to preserve privacy for the majority of people.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Yep its one of the missing features that i tend to need sometime and it would be even better if it can be called via modrana

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
I would love to see it in modrana and have commented in that thread, but something plugged in to Telepathy(or a FOSS replacement) would probably ease the plugin and make it easier to run in "location beacon" mode via icecondor so people can see you even if you aren't running a app to scan and map for them, maybe a daemon that will alert when someone enters a set proximity as in the video above.
I really wish that it could also plug into Sygic but this seems nearly impossible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
Have you tried Icecondor on Android?

I installed it but when you try to register a new account, registration doesn't work!

So this can be a big issue if our Android friends cannot register.

Btw is it safe to send our positions to the Icecondor Location Storage Provider?

Android app uses Gmaps and no Openstreetmap

in play store no updates since 2013

answers of feedback reports in app service are 4/5 years old

so we have to clarify first if Icecondor is not in abandoned status yet

and then we can try to build something for N900 to connect to ws://api.icecondor.com

The Following User Says Thank You to gianko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
The N900 can share your location to users via the IM application as part of the nokiamaps-navigation-provider package.
This was broken and has been patched recently by freemangordon.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
The N900 can share your location to users via the IM application as part of the nokiamaps-navigation-provider package.
This was broken and has been patched recently by freemangordon.
Can this be used beyond showing wherever Nokia thinks you are near to in your IM status?

I suggest location2sms and Icecondor as ways to get location into a location and importantly mapping and navigation aware app.

Last edited by biketool; 2014-10-13 at 18:25.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Can this be used beyond showing whatever Nokia thinks you are near to in IM status?
It uses the nokia servers to provide your location.
I believe it uses lat/long to do this but only outputs "Street/District/City Levels" to the Location Status Message.
I believe the street level option is a pretty accurate way of sharing your location in human readable form.

Maybe now this is FOSS it could be modified?
Freemangordon is the person to ask about that.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
PM'ed Freemangordon so between crowbarring headcrabs and FOSS'ing Maemo5 we will see what he has to say.

I also emailed the dev behind icecondor about servers and stuff so waiting for an answer.

from Don the icecondor dev

The new API will be the only API available once it comes out in a couple weeks. It'll probably need some changes but I hope its stable for a long time.

Data is stored unencrypted on the server and is available to icecondor
employees, and people the user shares their location with. That being
said, its a USA Company and the USA Government can demand a copy of whatever they want. The source code to the server is also on github so its possible to run a seperate, local server.

Anyone have questions for icecondor?