with all these youtube comparision videos between XA2 and X10Plus popping up on reddit, are we due an official announcement shortly, or is this just an enthusiast playing with porting an unofficial image?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 727 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Costa Blanca, España
Oh jeez, another device being added to the list of currently incomplete devices at JHQ.

*sigh*

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Markkyboy For This Useful Post:
i don't think it is possible to sensibly complain about supporting devices that are currently available to buy.

XA2 is no longer widely available in many markets, so what can Jolla do to tempt new customers to provide new money to buy new SFOS licences?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i don't think it is possible to sensibly complain about supporting devices that are currently available to buy.

XA2 is no longer widely available in many markets, so what can Jolla do to tempt new customers to provide new money to buy new SFOS licences?
sadly, nothing really. The gap between sailfish and the rest was only getting bigger in the past 6 years. And their support for Xperia devices was never actually 100% complete. And maybe that was expected for X as the 1st one but there was hope that they would do something for XA to make it better. But we all know how that ended up.
They gave up on HW and then they gave up on end user SW and barebone OS is not something very usable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
XA2 with android support up to 8 is really showing progress.
Writing this with XA2 dual-sim with microG . Yes there are some hickups, but compatibility is after all amazing even with banking apps.
I would not say that Jolla has given up.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 357 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by feedme View Post
XA2 with android support up to 8 is really showing progress.
I agree, it's a massive update. Also, their approach to using Linux containers for Android App support should (I think) make it much easier to keep up to date with Android updates. In theory, that would also make it technically easier to support older Sony devices as long as there are kernel and AOSP updates from Sony for those devices.

Note "technically easier", there still has to be some source of income to fund that effort and as those older devices are no longer for sale, there is no (new) matching revenue. That could change if Jolla moves to a subscription model, where recurring license revenue for older devices could fund updates.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pim For This Useful Post:
which again raises the same questions........... why use sailfish at all if android compatibility is the priority? Fear of google should not be the reason since one can have android without it. What else?
UI and gestures are non existent in android apps. I really don't see any reason for using sailfish if android apps are must. And sadly they are because with sailfish you can call, text and have an alarm clock. That's about it. A lot of promising stuff from early days are now abandonware.

ATM, I would much rather pay 50€ for Sailfish skin on top of real android than for android support on halfbroken sailfish device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
which again raises the same questions........... why use sailfish at all if android compatibility is the priority? Fear of google should not be the reason since one can have android without it. What else?
UI and gestures are non existent in android apps. I really don't see any reason for using sailfish if android apps are must. And sadly they are because with sailfish you can call, text and have an alarm clock. That's about it. A lot of promising stuff from early days are now abandonware.

ATM, I would much rather pay 50€ for Sailfish skin on top of real android than for android support on halfbroken sailfish device.
Sad but true if with 'Android' you mean AOSP...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post

Maybe one just likes sailfish? To me android is more like an application and sailfish is an operating system - with all it's possibilities. I have capabilities of Linux while having access to a wealth of applications run in vanilla android. I prefer being able to crypt my files in a real secure way with my own scripts that nobody else have no clue of, especially hackers / phone thiefs. Best of both worlds.

There are some programs like whatsapp that i need to stay in touch with some people abroad. I also like prefer some quality of life applications such as easy tickets etc.

Android support is definately a positive thing bringing more users to sfos and should be there as long as it is being developed. Without android support sfos will be a marginal product with a marginal group of users. Unless someone pours a ton of money to it - which may end up as another android.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pexi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pexi View Post
Maybe one just likes sailfish? To me android is more like an application and sailfish is an operating system - with all it's possibilities. I have capabilities of Linux while having access to a wealth of applications run in vanilla android. I prefer being able to crypt my files in a real secure way with my own scripts that nobody else have no clue of, especially hackers / phone thiefs. Best of both worlds.

There are some programs like whatsapp that i need to stay in touch with some people abroad. I also like prefer some quality of life applications such as easy tickets etc.

Android support is definately a positive thing bringing more users to sfos and should be there as long as it is being developed. Without android support sfos will be a marginal product with a marginal group of users. Unless someone pours a ton of money to it - which may end up as another android.
so, now with it it is not?
Don't get me wrong. I like it. But the sad facts are still facts and there's no way around them. 6 years after and we have less working apps then in the year of inception.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post: