Active Topics

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by flotron View Post
There are rumours (not harmattan nor PV) that Nokia could restart another phone division without Lumia/Asha.

NOT TROLLING
adding a reliable source to rumours makes them much more believable....

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
What it shows is exactly the opposite of what you are saying. It shows that investors DID NOT HAVE FAITH in devices and services, no matter how much profit was made, because after 2007/2008, with iOS and Android marching on, investors fled to future platforms, not same old Symbian. Everyone knew that NOKIA lost the battle in 2007, and the stock slide shows nice association. Investors also didnt see a platform to replace it and it was on a steady decline, with some plateauing after Elop Lumias started showing some sign of life. Stop reading Tomi Ahooole crap blogs. He is partly the problem for pre-Elop NOKIA mess.
I'm sorry but to disagree. Back in 2010 Nokia had ALL the right cards in their hands to counterfight Android AND EVEN iOS - as the extremely positive reviews on the N9 prooves. The fact that it epically failed (for reasons which we know) is the cause for the E/Flop evil. NOT MeeGo itself. Period.

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by flotron View Post
I know you are annoyed with Nokia, but chill buddy.

Nokia nokia nokia... bla bla

Nokia doesn't exist anymore, we know that. I'm telling what i listened
Symbian is not owned by MS, neither Harmy. And they are in different markets with Lumia now
Sir, you are mistaken in more than one count here.

1.) Of course Nokia exists. Why do people keep on saying that, huh? The MS aquisition was only for the Devices branch.
What this means, is that Nokia sold everything related to the Mobile Phones (R&D, Manufacturing, Services...) but it retains NSN, Maps, IPR, New Technologies.

2.) Symbian is owned by MS now. And so is Harmattan. (what little is left of it) Just deal with it. It's not going to change.
And if you are going to beg for updates to a Linux-based device from Microsoft.... well there sure are some more difficult things in the world but I just cannot think of one now

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Now, If Nokia would only invest in Jolla... Though I see it unlikely.
That would be a disaster. Jolla must stay independent.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
What exactly did Microsoft get?

I've heard that most of the 'smart' people have been transferred to the network division a long time ago, and rest of the people have been laid off; Nokia's own factories have been shut down; maps division wasn't included in the deal; no patents were sold, just licensed. Microsoft got exclusive rights to Asha/Lumia brands and related design IP, and 32 000 employees. It seems that almost everything that was actually failing or dead weight, is now owned by Microsoft.

Part of the deal was that Nokia can't use 'Nokia' brand name in smart phones for 10 years. Why? Of course Microsoft is afraid (or knows) that Nokia could start a new smart phone division, and that is a big threat apparently. If Jolla can make a phone with 200 people, why wouldn't Nokia, with all their patents, after all? I don't think they will do it, but it's completely plausible.

TL;DR Nokia sold Elop to Microsoft for $7.2B

Edit: The above 10 year deal was incorrect, actually Nokia can start using it's name on mobile devices in 2016.

Last edited by N9 Apps; 2013-09-04 at 22:03.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to N9 Apps For This Useful Post:
^

Wrong, Nokia can use its brand for mobile products from 1. January 2016 onwards.

MS bought the ability to produce a wide range of MS branded smartphones and Nokia featurephones. They still have to find somebody who buys them of course.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Tapping calls on the network side is routine, and of course it's used in US on their carriers. Spying on europeans is more difficult for NSA since propably they cannot man EU carrier datacenters with their people (except in UK which is basically lapdog of the states)
Except some reports claim they get 80% of traffic even not touching US servers somehow logged. Or is EU somehow better than Mexico/Brazil in enforcing their 'laws' that apply to normal people vs presidents.
Thus, there is real possibility that trojans on mobile devices are used against EU citizens.
Trojans like Android/iOS/WP are their users' problem. We're thinking about FOSS solution with no Trojans built in into the drivers etc.
Awesome, thanks. Still have to go through the pdf, but the rest of links from there seems to corroborate the fact no commercially available solution exists, just papers discussing theoretically how to achieve this (and this should be quite easy, unless they have direct access to your mic, screwing whole idea of encrypting, this shouldn't be a problem with open platform though). This should be built-in functionality in this day and age (unless like with PGP problems of exporting too much bit encryption out of US this is being destroyed by stasis of the world)

EDIT: skype of old comes to mind, ultra hard to reveng, decentralized, all communications between nodes encrypted, then from Snowden files we know some 6 months before being purchased by MS they join PRISM, now they are with centralized servers in US and they decrypt what they need ala kim dotcom, one can build a safe net, until $

Last edited by szopin; 2013-09-04 at 21:49.

Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
Look at the chart again. Stock was sliding down for years prior to Elop. Sorry to burst your bubble but your pre-Elop Nokia was full of crazy Tomi nuts and already sliding into obscurity. Elop executed what the intelligent board saw: a dysfunctional company unable to compete in the mobile space. I think that MS overpaid them. They are not worth much.
The graph clearly indicates there are problems but it does not identify what the problems are. Failing to correctly understand what is wrong could result in disaster. For example, you might panic and appoint an inept CEO who implements a hopelessly flawed strategy that inevitably leads to your demise.

Anybody who had a smidgen of business sense knew Elop's strategy would fail, I would have rated its chance of success at <1%.

I have to confess though I'm surprised at how things have ended. I'm genuinely aghast Microsoft have parted with good money for the wreckage Elop has created and they haven't even got control of NOKIA's patents. It is the opposite of what I expected, I thought Elop would walk away from the wreckage having control of the patents. I've been giving him too much credit, maybe he really is just as thick as pig shite.

One of the other posters has suggested maybe NOKIA were just about to run out of money and the lack of support from any other manufacturer for Windows Phone meant Microsoft's hand was forced. If NOKIA died now so did Windows Phone. I guess that must be it. Maybe at that moment some bright spark in NOKIA took the opportunity to kick Elop in the balls - Microsoft have even bought the feature phone division which Elop has doomed to failure.

Right at the death it seems NOKIA have managed to snatch something from the fire. They live to fight another day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So wait... does this mean that Microsoft owns or has access to the Maemo trademark and libraries?
Well there is a bit of discrepancy between the two press releases. Nokia talks about only licensing its patents, nothing about selling.

Though Microsoft press release in a other hand mentions it bought 8500 "design patents" related to Lumia.

Nokia's camera boss already said on twitter yesterday that he and Tampere team will be moving under MS. Tampere team IS the camera center of Nokia and behind PureView, plus much more. So it would absolutely make sense PureView patents were not just licensed, but actually bought.

Nokia is seemingly keeping all those patents that it has been licensing so far to others as Nokia expects its patent money stream to be major business alongside NSN, that's naturally the largest part of old or current Nokia.

Though I do wonder what kind of locks MS has put to Nokia manufacturing phones right away. There's huge amount of details we wont ever know. Locking Nokia brand from mobile phones till 2016 is the most visible one. Even with the available cash, for Nokia it probably doesn't make much sense to jump into phones any time soon.

Last edited by tissot; 2013-09-04 at 22:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

Tags
espionage, trojan man