Notices

This regards Harmony, Melody and WordCity. Possibly others too, but I haven't tested it.

The theme gets reset to default when one of them is selected and the device is restarted, apparently because the fallback script doesn't work properly with optified themes yet.

To fix this, edit /etc/event.d/hildon-control-panel-personalisation and replace the line that says
Code:
start on started xomap
with
Code:
start on MOUNTS_OK
WARNING: Since this is a system file run on every startup, you should only do this if you are confident that you know what you are doing (and could recover from a mishap).

This will hopefully be fixed in one of the next firmware releases.

Those themes are by the way evolutions of the original development theme (with WordCity being based on Steffen's artwork), so a lot of care and passion has gone into them from the start. I hope you enjoy them! Template files (not backgrounds) were entirely done as SVGs in Inkscape.

Also, hildon-theme-variant-example has now been posted to gitorious, which currently includes a copy of the WordCity main template .png and .svg in the template folder. That certainly should be useful! The whole package has been released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 license:

http://maemo.gitorious.org/fremantle...ariant-example

You can use this as a base for making your own themes, if you use the packaging scripts. If you want to use Theme Maker, you might have to edit the templates a bit to match the formats used by Theme Maker.

Last edited by kanishou; 2010-01-13 at 13:29.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hove, UK
well i don't know about that but some of the colour schemes really blow. the clowns theme, while possessing some creditable background kmages, has a truly awful palette. and the black and white one wasn't very well thought through to have text entry boxes with black text on a background.

Well, I have nothing to do with any of those themes and I would agree that they lack polish (to say the least, but they got some nice backgrounds). This is only about Harmony, Melody, and WordCity. Other themes might also be affected by the restart bug though.

Thank you for the solution!

Here is the bug report: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7852

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soder For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Thanks for this information, kanishou.

I wasn't having any trouble with the themes resetting on restarting the device, but I was using the WordCity theme, and had noticed that it would occasionally revert to default when I would access the Application Manager.

It actually made the switch with a subtle fade from the theme's orange colour to the default blue, which had me thinking it was intentional at first until I realized the WordCity theme didn't reappear afterward..

I'm not sure if that's a related issue, but I've applied your edit, and it hasn't happened since, so hopefully this is a fix..

One minor thing I did notice, which you may want to edit in your OP:

Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
To fix this, edit /etc/event.d/hildon-control-center-personalisation
The actual file name to edit is:

/etc/event.d/hildon-control-panel-personalisation

Last edited by Bingley Joe; 2010-01-12 at 15:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I keep making that mistake!

Your issue probably wasn't caused by this though, application manager can just be slow in updating the graphics.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
Thanks, I keep making that mistake!
The choice of files to edit is limited enough that it was obvious what you meant, but I figured it was worth pointing out

Your issue probably wasn't caused by this though, application manager can just be slow in updating the graphics.
It's weird though because AM would launch using the new theme's orangy colours, and then slowly fade back to blue.. it was kind of cool looking actually

It happened every time I went in there to the point that I was just about to post a thread about it when I saw yours.. hasn't happened since for whatever reason. Ah well..

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I'm not really an expert on how to use the x-terminal, so i have a question.
How do i change this file exactly?
If i just type in the path "/etc/event.d/hildon-control-panel-personalisation", it just says "permission denied". So, how do i change this line? The fact that my theme always resets to default is really driving me nuts.
Thanks in advance for explaining it to dummies like me

Last edited by Nospheratu; 2010-01-19 at 21:32.

Originally Posted by Nospheratu View Post
Hi,

I'm not really an expert on how to use the x-terminal, so i have a question.
How do i change this file exactly?
If i just type in the path "/etc/event.d/hildon-control-panel-personalisation", it just says "permission denied". So, how do i change this line? The fact that my theme always resets to default is really driving me nuts.
Thanks in advance for explaining it to dummies like me
In the same boat here. What kind of file am I trying to access and what's the command to do so?

How can i save my change with MC (midnight commander)?

Its telling me problem while saving.

Tags
yd config