Active Topics

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by bezeen View Post
>Stskeeps

-Did you use the SDUpdateToolV1.1 with the u-boot-7.bin then you build mer?

If you didn't it can explain why i cant flash the machine (wrong key binding)
Yeah, and funny fact: the signal for DC being plugged in, is completely opposite on the Q7

I'm building Q7 u-boot right now, hope this will help things.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Texas, USA
Hi,

Just wanted to post a quick update indicating my Q5 and Q7 arrived safely and in operational condition.

My wife tested the Q5 and said it was almost as cute as her N800.

I'm typing this on the Q7 using an old Fellowes Stowaway USB keyboard. The virtual one is too slow.

Both units came w/o manuals but these are available online.

I look forward to testing Mer on the Q7/Q5.

Eletroworld has proven to be a good supplier and I highly recommend it: very communicative and responsive.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to celtica96 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
For anyone with Q7 who dares alpha test this, I have just made a image with a Q7 uboot, and a Q7 kernel.

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/mer-0.14testing2.SmartQ7

Remember: it's very difficult to 100% brick your device because of the simple fact that the boot ROM (not erasable) will look for a boot sector on internal or external SD depending on key press, and boot from there. So if internal SD is totally hosed, you can still boot with a external SD with a bootloader and such on it.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
After the 1001 time did my machine go to orange mode (install) i did a reset holding function key got red light - holding down function key plug in charger - succes at last...

But a still have a problem - after shutdown (sudo halt) the power button only give me a red light and i have to use the charger to startup mer 0.14 ver2 (okey it could be that my battery is really low) Is there a battery indicator in mer?

Last edited by bezeen; 2009-06-06 at 20:13.

Read you battery value with:

cat /sys/devices/platform/hhtech_gpio/battery_s

Under 850 is low. Above 990 is full.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
I'm a previous N800 owner looking to purchase a internet tablet/entertainment device again. And I wanted to get some input from some Q 5 - Q 7 owners on their experience with these devices.

I'm looking for a tablet that will allow me to watch movies, listen to music, browse the web, read a book, some minor games like solitaire or bejeweled clones etc. I'd like to use Mer on it if possible for the optimized tablet setup. It will probably be a month or two before I purchase.

My reason for not considering the N800 - N810 again is that I wasn't impressed with the 800 in regards to performance. And something will just a little more power would fit the bill nicely. Ideally I'd like the Q 7, but so far from what I've read here Mer doesn't seem quite ready for the device.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
for what i have read, the smart tablets seems to be slower than our NIT, am I wrong ?

From the video reviews it seems comparable and faster in some cases. Or did I see that wrong?

Also, I would like some feedback on video capacities. I've seen some videos that show the devices having a hard time reading video files. Is this kinda fixed with "official" firmware update (using Canola) or with Mer ?

Thanks !

Last edited by DannyBiker; 2009-06-07 at 14:46.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Texas, USA
Anyone interested in using Flite under the default OS running on the SmartQ 7 can look at post #304 at http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=483849.

The SmartQ 7 thread at Mobileread.com is worth checking for other folk's impressions of the device. It's up to 21 pages now.

The Following User Says Thank You to celtica96 For This Useful Post:

Tags
parting of the red sea