Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
Hi,
I have downloaded A-GPS in my IT thinking that it will help my map application get connection with satellite faster but when I open the A-GPS settings I have no much option. So, what should I do with it to make it worth installing in my IT. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to jaeezzy For This Useful Post:
Make sure the GPS is not running (no icon in the status bar), run agps-ui from the extras menu, tap on the map where you are, close agps-ui, make sure you have either a wifi or phone connection so that the assistance data can be downloaded, start an application which uses the GPS.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
thanks for the reply lardman but i find it very hard to locate myself in the agps ui coz there is the world map and all i can do is point to the place guessing coz there is no place names just the lat and lon info and cant do the exact positioning. this is how it should be? thanks.

pointing to a approx. location on the map will help the GPS radio know roughly where you are as a starting point and will enhance time to lock. As you use the product and get an actual lock/location, A-GPS will be updated with more precise info. You don't have to touch it again unless you change locations by 150 miles or more while the GPS is off. For example, if you are driving and the GPS is on and functioning, it will be constantly finding/locking on to different satellites as you move -- no need to update a-gps. If you were to get in an airplane and take a trip of 150 miles or more, you should launch a-gps and select a new approx location to help the radio know again the best starting point for available satellites.

The Following User Says Thank You to ekarjala For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
Make sure the GPS is not running (no icon in the status bar), run agps-ui from the extras menu, tap on the map where you are, close agps-ui, make sure you have either a wifi or phone connection so that the assistance data can be downloaded, start an application which uses the GPS.
I have no map.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhford For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jhford View Post
I have no map.
You do not see a map when you launch the a-gps GUI?

The Following User Says Thank You to ekarjala For This Useful Post:
Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Which is it?
thanks for the reply lardman but i find it very hard to locate myself in the agps ui coz there is the world map
or
I have no map
PLEASE use the Wiki

The Following User Says Thank You to gemniii42 For This Useful Post:
Hi, I do have a map when I open A-GPS-ui. With no map is different guy I think for that it might need re-installation. Ok, now I got it. Also, if I'm in different place in the same map(I mean I went to different address by doing search) how do I come back to my place which is connected with GPS. I hope the question made sense. For eg: in N82 I used to search one address and come back to my location where GPS is locating me by just pressing the '0' key. How can I do this in IT. Thanks.

The agps-ui map is just a world map with one marker on it which you move by clicking, there's no moving or searching for addresses. For these questions start a new thread and say what app you're using.

For the person with no map, agps-ui should have installed itself in your Extras menu, otherwise try "agps-ui" at the command line and see what happens.

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Sorry for bumping an older thread, but i found that i also am missing the map when i open up AGPS (same result doing agps-ui from terminal). It's just a plain white screen. I can still access the menu at the top. Is there perhaps an image file or map file that may be missing? I did delete the western US maps recently to free up room, is it possible that the map displaying in AGPS was removed? If so, does anyone know how i can recover the file?

Note: i did try removing and re installing the agps program, with no luck

thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to the inebriator For This Useful Post: