I want a networked backup solution, I kind of figured out that rsyncing both cards on my N800 to my server at home over ssh should be a pretty secure and nice way of doing this. Though I cannot realy figure out how to write the correct syntax/servername in grsync to get this to work!? Anyone know how to do this!? just writing homeserver.mydomainname.com doesnt seems to work!?

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Not sure if this helps; I use rsync directly, running it on my PC, not on the tablet, and with these command-line arguments:

rsync -av \
--delete-after --stats --progress \
--exclude=mnt/initfs --exclude=dev --exclude=.dev \
--exclude=sys --exclude=tmp --exclude=proc \
--exclude=home/user/.thumbnails \
--exclude=home/user/videocenter/cache \
--exclude=media/mmc1/scratch \
--exclude=media/mmc1/photos \
root@tablet:/ \
/mass_storage/disks/store/Nokia_N800

(and obviously that needs the tablet's root pw)

I did find that without the excludes, rsync crashes, apparently unable to cope with the number of files. which would be a bug, of course

The Following User Says Thank You to cdmackay For This Useful Post:
aha.. thanks! I forgot to include the correct syntax for the computer:/foldre thing. Now my tablet connects to the server for backup but I find no way of adding a password!? anyone know how to make my tablet login correct with the ssh server?

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 341 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
aha.. thanks! I forgot to include the correct syntax for the computer:/foldre thing. Now my tablet connects to the server for backup but I find no way of adding a password!? anyone know how to make my tablet login correct with the ssh server?
You could use ssh-keys. I have that set up and it works 100%.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Can someone tell me all the components needed for backing up files with rsync?

If I have the rsync app installed on the N800, what would I need on my Windows PC?

I run my rsync to a linux server so I use it over ssh.. I think you can install an assh server on your windows machine and use it though I have never tried it.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm trying to use grsync on my N810 (Maemo 4.1) to backup to my desktop PC (Ubuntu 8.04). I have source folder /media/mmc2/ and destination folder user@p4:Computing/N810/rsync/. I haven't touched any other options in grsync yet. When I click the lightbulb to do a simulation I get an error:

ssh_askpass: exec(/usr/bin/ssh-askpass): No such file or directory
Permission denied, please try again.
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: unexpected error (code 255) at io.c(453) [sender=2.6.9]

Any ideas? I have openssh installed on the IT, including ssh-askpass in /usr/bin/ssh-askpass and I can successfully ssh to p4 in the terminal.

Ah, interestingly if I run grsync from terminal and try as above, I am asked for the password on the terminal and it works. I only get the above errors if I try to launch grsync from the menu. I guess if I setup authorised_keys on my Ubuntu machine properly I won't be prompted for a password at all?

Originally Posted by pelago View Post
I guess if I setup authorised_keys on my Ubuntu machine properly I won't be prompted for a password at all?
I realise this is an old thread, but I just came across it while searching for grsync for my N900, and thought it might be good to answer this for the benefit of the archives. The answer to my above question is "yes". Passwordless sync works in grsync (on N810 at least, I haven't tried on N900) once you have setup the proper ssh authorised_keys stuff.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: