Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
This is because Intel enjoys using Apple as a showcase for their newest consumer-level technologies. This is also why no Intel chipset supports USB 3.0 (which is also why no Apple system has USB 3.0.) This does not make Apple smart, simply a willing guinea pig for a likely successful experiment.
Arguably, that makes them smart . It's hard to fault a company that has good relations and a good eye for likely successful experiments. It's almost surprising how some companies seem to forgo opportunity and not for lack of effort.

Thanks for the other insights. It would be extremely interesting if LP used USB-style connectors.

I think it can be safely said that LP is game changing, if it indeed lives up to claims. A tech like this in the server-room would alter the architecture of server configurations dramatically. There could be far less cables (a benefit in itself), and a greater segmentation of components.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
More pictures of the Galaxy Tab have 'leaked'. These ones are interesting, as the proportions of the icons/widgets in relation to the display seem to suggest a higher res than the 800x480 phone beside it.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/29/s...-teasing-cdma/

I think 7" would be utter perfection for a tablet. Small enough to be very portable (albeit not pocketable -- less of a concern for me), but large enough to be comfortable for casual use. Just like Rebski said, I would intuit that there would be a HUGE difference in usability with the additional 3" over a smartphone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Arguably, that makes them smart . It's hard to fault a company that has good relations and a good eye for likely successful experiments. It's almost surprising how some companies seem to forgo opportunity and not for lack of effort.
actually, i think apple came to intel with the basic definition of light peak. Partially based on apple's earlier work on firewire.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
I don't recall that at all. I -do- recall AMD and some 3rd parties getting fussy about the spec, though. Don't forget that Intel are basically the lead design on pretty much every major PC bus in use today (USB, PCI-Express) and hold huge amounts of leverage within them, and Light Peak changes nothing with respect to that. They'll play nice regardless though, lest the EU and DoJ come down on them.
seems your memory may be better then mine:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-99...?tag=mncol;txt

still, given the speed that the tech world moves at, 6-9 months delay could mean a lot. But then this was two years ago, and it got resolved. but it seems to be a trend that when the economy goes south, the tech world goes vertical (stack).

More pictures of the Galaxy Tab have 'leaked'. These ones are interesting, as the proportions of the icons/widgets in relation to the display seem to suggest a higher res than the 800x480 phone beside it.
dunno, android treats screens in a somewhat peculiar way.

each device have to report its resolution in one of 3 groups, ldpi, mdpi or hdpi. This then is used by programs to decide how large the graphical elements should be.

problem is that hdpi only cover screens 3.5-4 inches with resolution around 800x480. actually, the largest physical screen defined for these groups are 5.8 inches. But there is no consideration for a resolution above 854x480 (and the definition is written as if the screens are primarily used in portrait, so perhaps i should have written 480x854), making physically large screens fall within the mdpi group.

here is a blog post on the topic, from the guy that set up andappstore:
http://blog.alsutton.com/2010/07/03/...nd-mdpi-large/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
dunno, android treats screens in a somewhat peculiar way.

each device have to report its resolution in one of 3 groups, ldpi, mdpi or hdpi. This then is used by programs to decide how large the graphical elements should be.

problem is that hdpi only cover screens 3.5-4 inches with resolution around 800x480. actually, the largest physical screen defined for these groups are 5.8 inches. But there is no consideration for a resolution above 854x480 (and the definition is written as if the screens are primarily used in portrait, so perhaps i should have written 480x854), making physically large screens fall within the mdpi group.

here is a blog post on the topic, from the guy that set up andappstore:
http://blog.alsutton.com/2010/07/03/...nd-mdpi-large/
Ah, that's right! I recall reading that before. Anyway, I suspect we'll know for certain in 3 days.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Looks great. How do you carry this thing?

I think 7" would be utter perfection for a tablet. Small enough to be very portable (albeit not pocketable -- less of a concern for me), but large enough to be comfortable for casual use. Just like Rebski said, I would intuit that there would be a HUGE difference in usability with the additional 3" over a smartphone.
i have the sony ereader prs900 which has 7.1 inch screen, it actually can squueze into the back jean pocket and includes the built in cover.

7 inch slim tablets with minimum bezel can fit into the back jean pocket.. may start to consider going back to dumbphone+tablet if the battery life is good enough

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Looks great. How do you carry this thing?
murse. (freakin 10 character limit!)

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
When these things get so big (I want one!) I always think the phone component itself should be detachable for holding to your ear.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy