Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Modem firmware is closed and will send stuff to asholes like Trump or Putin or other dictators depending on what country you are in.
(...)
So stop this stupid war and use whatever crap OS you like. We are all doomed anyway.
Strongly disagree. Actually, this assertion can easily been reversed :
"Whatever the efforts you put to prevent as*holes to get power, some will fatally succeed and use every weapon/information available to reinforce their power. Then, because of the backdoors of your crappy OS or device, you will basically be fu*ked."

So, in my opinion, freeing from jailed devices is at least as important as voting against as*holes.
Sadly, if making the neo900 may seem hard, I'm sure than preventing as*holes from getting the lead of a country is even harder !
(neo900 team may succeed the first task in less than five years while humankind fails to achieve the second one for millenia )

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The reasons to own a neo900 are numerous. Sadly the chances to own one right now when it might be important are close to nil.
I'm affraid your words may seem discouraging for the project members, and I'm sad for them each time I read sarcastic comments.
For having preordered an openpandora and waited for it for years, I can testify such delays are normal in such a community project. In the case of openpandora, the situation was even far more despaired and the device has finally been released !

A few words for neo900 team : "Keep courage and faith. What you are going to achieve is wonderful. Whenever the neo900 will be released, it will for sure be a milestone for freeing (or at least get back the control of) mobile telephony"

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bearserker For This Useful Post:
1. Neo900 will support all operating systems available for GTA04.
2. And should serve as a great platform for porting systems like
Maemo, Ubuntu or Firefox OS

check Latest MovieBox App.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosse2 For This Useful Post:
1. Neo900 will support all operating systems available for GTA04
2. And should serve as a great platform for porting systems like
Maemo, Ubuntu or Firefox OS
Check out the latest MovieBox app

The Following User Says Thank You to rosse2 For This Useful Post:
taking hit okkan razor I think this is simply a conteo, if you seek you will find evidences for everything. If I ask is it a world wide conspiration or just something random, i would bet it is random... Generally we live in a world where it is a policy to use strong reversible encryption but not more what nsa/cia/botnets can crack, with this policy we does not need any conspiration it is a clear order to be able to track decode anyone’s data but not too weak to be able to cracked if you are not following those standards then u are digging a hole below yourself... Each telco has reserver some racks on theie ip backbone for the national agency, it is legal known practise if you are not adapting might be a case business close like blackberry or associated with “illegal” activity like some peer to peer networks or tor eventually bitcoin was also associated with “dark” in the begining... So if we have already exposed our data over all channels to the national agencies I don’t think we need to seek any other alternative possibility

And nice to see they moved a level higher the “standard” once data could be decoded by any user in max months. This whole privacy currently is overhyped we all work do our job nothing to worry about...

if you store anything and transmit anything can be compromised the question if it worth the effort. Taking a look in previous comments to be honest n900 was failing for various reasons and i don’t think this is anything to do with security at all , it had no valid market humanity decided to get stupid proof phones and apps running all of them answer virtualization and sandboxing then put a topping “secure” miracle magic people like it.

After all numbers count nokia made a top class phone for geeks then did not wait for market response just went out making decision with microsoft who also made a big “success”. There are no enough geeks and majority of them are not going to afford 1000 of bucks on a phone. Now market changed 1000 of bucks are OK but actually ok when we already went to keyboardless edge to edge display mega sandboxing, based on this directions apps created this way which self indicate the requirement of the hardware...

Sadly there will be no grace or support from anyone because it is a failing business, for really small number of user and very limited area to time to time make you pay... Maybe if a geek eventually win a big lottery and invest WITHOUT any hope to get back money for it can make a similar project... Generally to be honest we are at unlucky side making a phone which can attract us for 10 years, and no strong recuirement to use own application stores and often people support free of charge... At 2010 if you would ask any big company about opensource , you are talking about the devil itself, now people realized it is safer and reliable to use know procedures libraries and standards than buy a blackbox solution took 9 year...

The only way to make a similar product is charity investment and contract with some arm board maker company but will be a hard thing as u need few systems not mass production of million devices... N900 was a master piece but only for us , no one else will agree with that fm transmitter magnet controlled sd card mounting, real multitasking, conputer in the pocket we like it 1/100 bad business!!!

And hw adapting for overvirtualization and oversandboxing more cpu units gpu power for larger and larger disllay while i rly dont understand why you need it for stupid puzzle games or now phones with 5 cameras, who the hell cares all the people amateur movie makers? It all just the toppings some reason keep people buying new hardwares... How many times people reinvent the fire in the past 15 years no comment... I see present time transform ur phone to a virtual x86 virtual machine than to have a quiet budget hardware as a computer coming out without OS or allow users whatever they want , economics killed a lot of alt stuffs already. Pocket computer one of the RIP stuffs...

People and market stupidness is in everyday when i was a kid and my dad had a 386 notebook was a big issue that display vesible only from front , it was a huge achivement to prduce lcd screens which visible from everywhere 180 degree... What we do selling privacy filter to the laptops to restore the original state lcd only from front... Reinvented the original pain point... I don’t want to abuse , but see no chance to buy another master piece without profit... The world is quantitative and no longer qualitative ...

Market leader company: We have decreased the operation time to 8 hours but you have 16 cpu units and 5 cameras . Personally I am satisfied with sd movies if they have good story , but stupid humans can be bought with UHD story is no longer that important as it was 20 years ago, quality drivven market would be ages better but currently no chance to survive... Get some billionare interested and ask them to create a device and all required materials for charity, i will be one ot the first buyer!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szilveszter.domotor For This Useful Post:
I just want small pocket computer with:
1. Localized hardware keyboard (n810 and n900 has it)
2. Resistive TFT-screen, not more bigger than N810
3. Easy battery change
4. Operating system and software that you can install without Internet
5. Little faster than N900
Is there any alternative?
- No
So I want Neo900 more than ever.

Last edited by teroyk; 2019-05-20 at 08:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teroyk For This Useful Post: