Expected the 1GHz CPU, but the GPU is a bit disappointing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
A joy to use? For me, that'd be the N900.
Out of the box?

I love the N900, but without this community, and the Nokia updates, I don't know about the joy to use in everyday life...

PS. I don't dislike the N9 (well, let's see about the pricing), but like someone else put it before me:

> I thought they saw meego as cutting edge in both software and hardware, but i thought wrong.

And the one device they are contractually obliged (I don't believe for a second they'd have made it available otherwise) to release is... N9? Step 5 of 5? Disruptive? This from a section of the company that was started to innovate communications in the biggest mobile company the world knew back then?

I just expected one last BIG stand for the tablets, since they had nothing to loose (literally). No point in competing with iOS and Android with a great UI you are about to abandon.

Well, on second thought, at least it has opened up the market for one-armed customers. That's definitely a first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
"If you’re willing to take a dive into MeeGo 1.2 Hatterman, the Nokia N9 is looking like a pretty great choice."
Added this to the collection.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kruppin View Post
Yes, it got all those things, except the GPU? How can it be double? Even if it now has alittle higher clockspeed doesn't make it double as good. And it still is a old SGX530 from 2005, so it's made in 90nm, and got almost no hd capabilities, not that it matters now that N9 doesn't have HDMI port.
But they've could atleast put a SGX540 in it, THAT'S more then double the good (which means better games), and still less powerhungry. But yes, I know, TI doesn't have a SoC with that untill you go dualcore, and that would've been to expensive, I guess. Bleh, the phone will surely be good, I just had more expectations, which is why I complain! I thought they saw meego as cutting edge in both software and hardware, but i yhought wrong. I'm just afraid that it will take many more months until we have it in stores, and then this HW is ****.
the gpu is built into the SoC, and the 36xx series SoC's are built on 45nm.

i too would like to find out how much faster the GPU is clocked than its 34xx siblings.........

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
was the lack of flash in n9 confirmed somewhere? or is that just another rumor?

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Too complicated and too messy UI.

I see what they are trying to do, but I don't think it will work. It looks even more complicated, confusing and chaotic for the average user than Maemo 5. Too many icons in the menu and all look the same.

The multi-tasking isn't bad, but I don't think it's the best either. Seems like they can't replicate what the N900 has offered already 1,5 years ago. The transition from played video to multitasking interface is nice though.

The 3D maps seemed to lag. Hopefully that won't be an issue in final. Good thing they are free though.

The chat features seem really poorly executed.

Where are the classic desktops? I might have missed that. I hope they are not absent.

The browser seems very iOS-like. Hopefully it suports latest Flash/HTML5/Java.

Why is there no HW keyboard? For me that is a big letdown and instant pass, sorry Nokia.

The screen is 854x480 and 3.9 inches, which is nice and probably the best part about this phone. Multitouch and AMOLED are a nice bonus, I applaud for that.

The 8MPx camera with 720p@30fps video recording is a handy feature and I can imagine it will have good results, but it probably (obviously) won't meet or surpass the quality of the N8 (logical).

The CPU and GPU are good enough, but honestly anything less would have been a disappointment. These choices were mandatory in order to compete at least in some form with the current devices, which are starting to be multi-core and with even higher clock speeds. I can imagine that games on the N9 will be fun to play and there should be a fairly large catalogue to choose from thanks to deals with third-parties such as EA and Gameloft, etc.

Overall though, to be honest, I expected something much better. I'm disappointed, thinking I would trade me N900 for something better, but in the end the N9 is actually worse (putting hardware specs aside). Shame. Maybe next time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post:
if you want an idea of how the 36xx SoC compares then look at the DroidX in these benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4144/l...e-smartphone/8

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3826/m...hly-reviewed/5

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3908/m...ng-the-droid/8

Last edited by Jedibeeftrix; 2011-06-21 at 15:34.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Well that is entirely a personal preference. Each person has to decide what is right for them. I wasn't touting Android over Meego. I was simply attempting to point out that the S2 is , hardware wise, not just something that looks good on paper.

You may want to perhaps take a deep breath and not kneejerk react to every post that isn't a "Wow the n9 is the second coming of Jesus" posting.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound agressive, just making a point. Things have been quite overwhelming since 4:30am when I woke up to follow the presentation, so I should better stop now before my articulation skills devolve even further.

I completely agree that this is a matter of preference, and didn't intend to express anything but my personal one.

(As a matter of fact I don't remember why I quoted you either, perhaps it was a mistake or I just randomly thought it was a good place to make this point).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kanishou For This Useful Post:
if you want an idea of how the 36xx SoC compares then look at the DroidX in these benchmarks:
Thanks, dual core does not mean double performance. For most uses one core is probably "enough", as you still have the gpu. More concerned about the gpu, but I don't do a lot of gaming and as long as the UI if fluid..

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
So when is the new version of the n900 coming out then ?

no keyboard hufff may be they will make a case like the iphone 4 with a slide out keyboard it looks cool

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????