Posts: 194 | Thanked: 1,019 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
e-yes: Sorry I didn't reply to your previous inquiry, but it's way out of my league. What you just posted (your uboot hack) sounds pretty neat, but doesn't this mean it essentially limits it to two options? Either it auto boots the bundled kernel, or you press any key, and it boots the second one? Sounds like this way there's no opportunity to type in a command to boot a third kernel, if you have one. If I'm wrong by all means correct me, because it's possible I didn't understand what you meant.
No, if keyboard slide is open, u-boot shows "3 2 1 0" countdown and if you press a key, you'll enter 'shell mode' (in u-boot). if you skip shell (with slide open), n900 will boot Meego (or whatever using boot.scr).

Why this patch is important (in my opinion): MeeGo drains battery very fast, so if maemo or nitdroid suddenly reboots and SD card is inserted, MeeGo will be booted.
Patch solves problem. And decreases 'default' OS startup time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to e-yes For This Useful Post:
nice idea.

one thought:
i don't know i am very relaxed with such things for i patch up my things that they suit my needs. in general uboot as is is fine and nice for dev and extras_devel is exactly the place where it belongs. i don't know if you want it to stay there or want to have it working for productive. if it is the latter, its rather to fix the problems.than to workaround
that is:
- rebase it to a more recent git
- apply the pending important patches from git(don't like that but in case of severe bugs...)
- see how to make watchdogsupport work,
- solve the mmc thing matan mentions
- create a menu(or adapt one) with some shortcuts.
- maybe have a look at the serial console with the maemo kernel issue ali mentions.

that way you get it somewhere towards a version that can be used for productive.

Originally Posted by e-yes View Post
No, if keyboard slide is open, u-boot shows "3 2 1 0" countdown and if you press a key, you'll enter 'shell mode' (in u-boot). if you skip shell (with slide open), n900 will boot Meego (or whatever using boot.scr).

Why this patch is important (in my opinion): MeeGo drains battery very fast, so if maemo or nitdroid suddenly reboots and SD card is inserted, MeeGo will be booted.
Patch solves problem. And decreases 'default' OS startup time.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-07 at 23:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to lunat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
mmc2 is even more problematic. It appears to work once after maemo, but If I boot from u-boot (by the command reset, or letting the watchdog boot), it won't recognize it again.
i saw this behaviour a lot of times. but it only happened if i did something "bad" that is the thing crashed somehow.

i can't see any problem rebooting other distros. i rsync a new kernel and it reboots just fine in the new kernel. and i do that a lot at the mom.
if i messed something up on the other hand and i have to take out the battery or such ... it is a whole other story. then weired things happen. it can't find the mmc and also maemo can't boot in this case sometimes...

another typical scenary is if i forgot about the battery and it shuts off.. after that(battery charged again...) it doesn't detect the mmc .. but this are all "unusual" cases ...

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-08 at 03:21.

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ South Africa
U-Boot is still giving me start up problems.
Debian

So tell me guys how do I remove this pos U-boot

When I do apt-get install –reinstall kernel-flasher

I get

E: Command line option 'r' [from -reinstall] is not known.

I want it gone :<

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by Devrim View Post

I get

It's:
Code:
apt-get install --reinstall kernel-flasher
That's 2 x - before reinstall...

I get

with double dash --reinstall

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install --reinstall kernel-flasher
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/157kB of archives.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 55183 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kernel-flasher 2.6.28-20103103+0m5 (using .../kernel-flasher_2.6.28-20103103+0m5_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kernel-flasher ...
Setting up kernel-flasher (2.6.28-20103103+0m5) ...
I'm still getting U-boot

Code:
Nokia-N900:~# apt-get install --reinstall kernel-flasher
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/157kB of archives.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 55183 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kernel-flasher 2.6.28-20103103+0m5 (using .../kernel-flasher_2.6.28-20103103+0m5_armel.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kernel-flasher ...
Setting up kernel-flasher (2.6.28-20103103+0m5) ...
I'm still getting U-boot
say: install everything that belongs to that kernel(irrc that are three packages). put a copy of the kernel to your pc(so you have it in case something goes wrong). also deinstall uboot.
and if uboot is still there after that use force and flash the kernel you saved on your harddrive(must be the one you prev. installed via apt). and you are good.
(note that i said flash KERNEL not firmware and not emmc. that is: flasher -f -k kernel)

also note the order first use the most high level means of doing it and only if they are buggy and fail use brute force to achieve where that failed.

Last edited by lunat; 2010-11-14 at 12:04.

Originally Posted by lunat View Post
say: install everything that belongs to that kernel(irrc that are three packages). put a copy of the kernel to your pc(so you have it in case something goes wrong). also deinstall uboot.
and if uboot is still there after that use force and flash the kernel you saved on your harddrive(must be the one you prev. installed via apt). and you are good.
(note that i said flash KERNEL not firmware and not emmc. that is: flasher -f -k kernel)

also note the order first use the most high level means of doing it and only if they are buggy and fail use brute force to achieve where that failed.

But I want multiboot back.

When I boot my N900 I first get U-boot
I do: run noloboot
Then I get multiboot and boot Power Kernel v45

How do I get rid of U-boot? :<

Tags
power kernel, uboot