to alcohol....and back to windows

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SHARP66 For This Useful Post:
Until the next Jolla phone is widely compatible in North America I've chosen to go with a Blackberry Z30. The Z30 is currently on sale at least in the US and Canada directly from the Blackberry shop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kriek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
I am moving to Blackberry OS 10 also; specifically for a Blackberry Classic because the qwerty keyboard.
I thought about buying Jolla but I want physical keys and a keyboard; and I don't want to buy and test an external keyboard done by 3rd party; why jolla is not supporting and selling this TOH accesorie?

It is a pity that jolla has not more devices because in my opinion they have an OS and TOH feature which is a good alternative to the main stream but physical interface seems to be following the rules of apple and android phones, such as a screen without edge protection (too easy to break) , no keys(only for volume?) and a lack of keyboard.

If bicycle brands are selling road, mountain, bmx,..., and there is market for all. Why all mobile phones have the same frame and wheels?

Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
Until the next Jolla phone is widely compatible in North America I've chosen to go with a Blackberry Z30. The Z30 is currently on sale at least in the US and Canada directly from the Blackberry shop.

Last edited by daperezg; 2015-02-26 at 00:43.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperezg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
Similar story here.

I am now using a Blackberry Z30 myself after using a Sony Xperia Z2 for a while as my main phone. I would of got a Jolla if it had full penta band 3G support (no support for 3G 850Mhz).

I still use my N900 occasionally.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skywalker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by daperezg View Post
If bicycle brands are selling road, mountain, bmx,..., and there is market for all. Why all mobile phones have the same frame and wheels?
Biggest culprit is Samsung who have laid off their design department years ago - they're churning out the same looking, unergonomic Galaxy phones year after year. Disclaimer: I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 as my main phone now. My secondary phone is the 808 pureview which has my roaming sim card, plus it's my main photo/video taking device (I've stopped carrying a digital camera) and my satnav device with the excellent Nokia Maps. I've installed Here maps on my Note 2 as well, whilst the presentation of the maps on screen is much better than on the old Nokia Maps some of the information seems to be incomplete - Nokia Maps showed the locations of bus-stops (and shows you which bus routes stops there), whilst in Here maps for one country the bus-stops have disappeared, and in another it only shows 1 or 2 bus routes when there should be much more. And in a recent update to android 4.4.2 those baskets at Google (or maybe Samsung?) have pissed around with the GPS (now called Location) toggle, now whenever I enable GPS I get a "Use enhanced location service?" dialog, which basically asks whether I want to let Google track me. I can choose "Disagree" or "Agree", and there's also a toggle box to select "Don't show again". I don't ever want Google to track me so I would want to select "Don't show again" and then "Disagree", however the baskets have made it that if you select "Don't show again" then "Disagree" is disabled and you can only select "Agree" - what forking baskets!

Anyway my N900 is still in daily use for listening to podcasts (using the excellent gpodder), music and as an IR remote control. I used to use XBMC-remote on it as well, but it is really slow to start, now I use my Samsung for that.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
I've been on the Z30 now for about 24 hours with the latest 10.3.1 release, and can say that so far my experience is very good. There are too many things to list, but communications and productivity are really amazing. I was initally a bit apprehensive about it not being a "settings" device, but on the contrary, BB10 is quite comprehensive where settings and configuration are concerned. In fact the last day has only been setup and config and backups.

I keep wanting to slide a keyboard out in landscape. The Z30 would be a ridiculously good device if it had one, but I suppose that's where the other BB models come in albeit in a different aspect ratio. It's going to be a while before I get used to typing onscreen. And of course the desktop environment will be missed but it's still early days. Overall it's a big relief to finally get an excellent communications device and not have to worry about borking my N900 and messing everything up.

Note to Canadians considering a Shop BlackBerry purchase:

I would recommend trying to purchase on the US site in USD and import the device into Canada yourself. On the Canadian Shop Blackberry site, the company contracted to handle sales is charging Canadians tax. But they are invoicing in USD and shipping from the US via FedEx. Which means that they are questionably collecting tax from Canadians, and making you pay tax again when it reaches the FedEx broker at the border. It would be cheaper and with fewer problems to pay in USD and import the device via USPS, however that could complicate warranty claims. Something to consider if you're trying to save some bucks...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I would have bought a Jolla if they had been made available in North America. I preordered my Jolla tablet, so at least I'm keeping the flame alive.

Meanwhile, I've been very happy with my Nexus 5. Beefy hardware and hackable OS with no bloatware means I'm happy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jan 2013 @ kerala
After N900 i have been using a BB Z10 for its true mulitasking abilities. Now that fb , whatsapp etc have removed support to BB10 and because of me wanting a phone which just works , i am tilted to buying a main stream phone. From the reviews of galaxy note series , i think multitasking is almost catching up with symbian and maemo in touch wiz. Simultaneously running 4-5 apps in foreground mode and the minimzing through multiwindow mode allows the background apps to run like in symbian ,bb10 and maemo. I am not talking about the recent apps , but note's way of minimizing apps to stay as a bubble in foreground. Still it is nowhere close to maemo and symbian. But i am slowly reaching that point in my life , where i need something mainstream which always works. Intex aquafish is defenitely in my plans, but not as a main phone. I am going to jump to android after an long struggle

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to padmaraj.ravi For This Useful Post:
Lol. Just bought my third one.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
After N900 i bought me an N9. After N9 - Jolla.
Afterwards i bought me another NEW N900 which is always ready...

Now waiting to get enough money for Fairphone 2....

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, successor