Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
When these things get so big (I want one!) I always think the phone component itself should be detachable for holding to your ear.
There's always the possibility of getting a bluetooth headset or a bluetooth handset for the device. However it's not exactly built in.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
There's always the possibility of getting a bluetooth headset or a bluetooth handset for the device. However it's not exactly built in.
I think LG makes (or made) a phone that had a slot for a bluetooth earpiece.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
the docks and keyboard looks interesting, but the case looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen as i think apple have a patent application on their ipad case.

and looking at the usb and tv out cables seems to confirm that its a PDMI port. Or at least the same physical port (tho i wonder how they do the analog bit unless there is a chip hiding in the cable somewhere).

And is suspect the docks do displayport to hdmi conversion, as there is not enough displayport lanes in a PDMI connector to support DP++ mode.

Last edited by tso; 2010-08-29 at 21:07.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
the docks and keyboard looks interesting, but the case looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen as i think apple have a patent application on their ipad case.

and looking at the usb and tv out cables seems to confirm that its a PDMI port. Or at least the same physical port (tho i wonder how they do the analog bit unless there is a chip hiding in the cable somewhere).

And is suspect the docks do displayport to hdmi conversion, as there is not enough displayport lanes in a PDMI connector to support DP++ mode.
How on earth could there be a patent on a case? There were already cases for devices that are similar look to these way before ipad. I would understand if the patent was against a case that was the exact same dimensions as ipad but this is 7 inches only and is a more wide screen ratio. Surely it cannot be that no one else is allowed to have a case for an internet tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...fice.html#more

A lawsuit over a case, though? I doubt that the royalties garnered, or having the item pulled from shelves would justify the huge legal fees. Then again, I know nothing of the law.

The Galaxy Tab is now on my must purchase list.

It has a writing device! WOW!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/30/s...=Google+Reader

It now has a bluetooth 'stylus' accessory for writing on the surface. Why does this rock?

1) Whiteboard apps for collaborative drawing
2) Document Annotation
3) Note jotting
4) Drawing/sketching applications
5) Increased accuracy pointer
6) Bluetooth may imply that it's not a capacitive input (so you can rest your palm on the screen while you write). Even if it is capacitive, hopefully you can rest your palm on the screen.
7) Animated note-boarding (eg. khan institute)
8) Turn the Tab into a digitizer for computers/notebook!

This makes the device EXTREMELY useful for content creation, for students and business people alike.

And it looks like the thing can make calls! I'm 100% sold.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
I should note that while my N810 has had stylus input for a long time, I'm not a big fan of resistive stylii. I suppose my main complaint with a resistive stylus is that you have to (or I have to anyway) hover above the screen as to avoid any unwanted input. This makes it very awkward for me to write on, and nearly impossible for long writing sessions.

I'm confident that this stylus will avoid that awkwardness, either through multi-touch algorithms or some pen/tablet interaction (it is bluetooth afterall).

I'm incredibly excited!

The galaxy tab will use a capacitive screen, iirc. I would guess that its implemented in such a way that it uses bluetooth to tell the tablet when it's in contact with the screen (it's detecting the capacitive field) and so the tablet can reject all other inputs (like palms).

The benefit of a stylus is twofold. First it's gloves on scenarios. Second, it allows the selection of smaller elements without the need to first zoom in on a specific area.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy