Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
I did reinstall, but I get the same empty layers, it might be a problem with my OSM Scout Server, I get some warnings like:
Error whtile getting mapbox GL style, and malformed mapbox GL file request styles/osmbright-en.json
OK, let's move this discussion over to https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=97823

Would you mind to

* paste a screenshot of OSM Scout Server log showing requested URLs

* check which version of OSM Scout Server do you run. If its not the latest, please update at OpenRepos

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Sep 2013 @ Norway
WhoGo maps testet on Jolla 1 with vector tiles. SFOS 2.1.4.14. Everything works OK. No crash. I also tested mapbox-sfos 10.6.1. this version crash when using pitch or bearing. mapbox-sfos 10.15.1 crash upon start.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PamNor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by PamNor View Post
WhoGo maps testet on Jolla 1 with vector tiles. SFOS 2.1.4.14. Everything works OK. No crash. I also tested mapbox-sfos 10.6.1. this version crash when using pitch or bearing. mapbox-sfos 10.15.1 crash upon start.
Since older demos (mapbox-sfos) were C++ apps with Mapboxgl linked, it indicates that some chages in MapboxGL are responsible for better stability. Great news!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Another bug: places search seems to work strangely, i.e. it doesn't prioritize locations near me. I can search for "Starbucks" and it returns 10 results scattered across the USA, but not the one two miles away.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Okay as it seems we are listing here, another oddity that seems similar to taixoz's (which really bothered me):
when entering a navigation target in search make sure you enter street before city like
'street x, city'

If you enter like
'city street x' you get no or strange results.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@taixzo: normal search does not convey location information to the search engine. To make the location count, you have to use "nearby venues" search. Its available either in the main menu (then searches next to current location) or via POI when clicking on it and selecting nearby. In that search, "Type" can be either a name or a type.

When compared to the plain search, algorithm is different. In nearby, you essentially have to apply spatial filter first and then go through objects in the database trying to match them to the search string. For OSM Scout Server, that means that I have to hope that there are not too many objects in the radius of interest.

@peterleinchen: I can speak only regarding OSM Scout Server, but probably its done similar in the other search engines.

When you get search string, it has to be parsed to form some kind of hierarchy that can be searched for. For that, OSM Scout Server preprocesses the string using libpostal (https://github.com/openvenues/libpostal) - an impressive software lib that does its best to guess from this short string what is what. [Recommended longish reading: BLOG posts https://machinelearnings.co/statisti...p-b9d573e6cc86 and https://medium.com/@albarrentine/sta...2-80405b988718 ; if don't want to read, see animated GIFs]. To guess what was what, libpostal also uses relative location in the string that should be in accordance with the norms of the language that you selected for parsing. Hence, its important to put it in natural manner for your culture. For us, its frequently

Code:
streetname housenumber city ...
Notice, it has to distinguish it from

Code:
housename street name city ...
Hence, when you put city in front, it may think its house name instead of the city. I actually print the parsing results in the logs of OSM Scout Server, so you could check it there.

After getting hierarchy, my job is relatively simple - I have to match normalized strings and see if they are a part of any available hierarchy. This is relatively fast process due to the manner I store the data.

For libpostal, commas don't matter. However, to assist the users, I added a primitive parser. This parser forms search string in a manner:

Code:
house number, street, city, ...
Essentially, it forms hierarchy by strings separated by commas. So, when libpostal fails, you could try to use this notation and see if it helps.

I am planning to work on the search component soon. I have to update to the new libpostal (we use a version that is more than 1 year old), train on country-split data, and so on. Hopefully, I can make it better.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
I took both the Jolla 1 and the PhotonQ (the two phones on which the GL-related crash was found), for a few km walk with WhoGo Maps.

TL;DR : no more GL crashes, So WhoGo is compatible with all phones. But the memory could still be too low.

So, the configs are:
* Jolla 1 : freshly update to 2.1.4.14, with lastest WhoGo from openrepos and OSMScoutServer with latest maps for only one region of France
* PhotonQ : 2.1.3.7 from xda, and here also latest WhoGo/OSMScoutServer, with maps downloaded today. It is running nemo UI, but didn't seem to affect the outcome here.

I don't have anymore the mapbox-sfos test app we used last time (and you removed the repository) so I can't compare with this, but the "mapbox-gl-qml.qml" from October the 13th doesn't crash anymore.

Using WhoGo maps at home I could not crash them either. I then took them for a walk (about 1 hour), playing with one and the other successively, sometime routing to my correct destination, sometimes routing elsewhere to see how the live rerouting was working.

It worked quite correctly for the first half of the trip. Then I started to see some performances problems, probably related to memory usage.
Both had lipstick crash once and restart, but the app survived.
I had the OOM kill some app that were opened on the Jolla (one messanging app that I didn't close, and gPodder that I was listening to).
On the PhotonQ, at some point the app became unresponsive. I later found it closed.

I should have a 1h trip by car this week. I will try to use it to make some tests with a freshly rebooted Jolla1, and see if a "normal" usage of setting one route and following it correctly through a 100km leads to memory problems too or not.

Anyway, the original problem is solved, and WhoGo maps looks really good !
A big thank you to rinigus and otsaloma for this huge and great work !

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@rinigus
thanks for explanation and links, I only made one of them but impressing.

I somehow was used to put city in front. No idea why...
And yes I was/am using OSM scout maps and search.
So conclusion is to enter adresses in the country specific way! Right?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@rinigus
thanks for explanation and links, I only made one of them but impressing.

I somehow was used to put city in front. No idea why...
And yes I was/am using OSM scout maps and search.
So conclusion is to enter adresses in the country specific way! Right?
Yes, its a long read, but impressive. I am very happy that @otsaloma pointed it in this direction - it was/is great fun to see it work.

As for conclusion, yes, do it as if you put it on a letter envelope (nb! postal codes not supported by osm scout server, at least not yet).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Austria
i couldn't find out if mapqest open or osrm considers traffic for navigation or rerouting, do you know anything? i just found out that mapquest business uses that

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smatkovi For This Useful Post: