Active Topics

Notices

Hi,

Last week I found out about the promising monav project by Christian Vetter (and others?) but unfortunately I found only the monav-routing-daemon available in the extras-devel repo, not the Qt client. Why is the client not (yet) there? I think this excellent piece of software should be on everyone's N900..

I noticed that the existing release at monav.openstreetmap.de is a bit old, so I packaged the 0.3.1 version. My aim is to submit it to the -devel repository ASAP. I have requested access to upload the package, because I have no access yet, but in the mean time you can download it at :

latest build

of course you also need to download and extract one or more of the available maps.

about MoNav

MoNav is a fast navigation/routing application using the Openstreetmap. One if the key features is that it allows offline routing.

clean look and feel

menu's pop up in a finger friendly way

multiple waypoints and clear on-screen instructions

zoom to instructions

multiple waypoints, very easily managed

when looking for an address, the biggest cities appear on top of the list without having started typing

when typing, there's no delay in finding the relevant names

after address selection you can check or finetune the exact location on the map, while still showing the planned route. nice!

Last edited by accumulator; 2011-07-20 at 14:37.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to accumulator For This Useful Post:
Not supported package

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Macedonia
Installed it and it looks very promising. Everything seems to work except the rendering of non-ascii characters. Everything is in cyrillic in my country, and I am only seeing ????? for place and street names. Am I missing some library?
Thanks

mauron85: what do you mean? Unsupported by the authors? No N900 maintainer?

kovach: You mean the text on the map, or the text in the address picker? Or both?

it might be the preprocessor that mangles the encoding. Do you see the correct placenames when looking through the extracted map files?

The Following User Says Thank You to accumulator For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
I really like this application. Simple and smooth and i think it suits my needs.
Is it possible to request features in this thread?
What specifically miss is seeing the total distance between departure and destination.

Last edited by datjomp; 2011-07-11 at 19:24.

accumulator:
I can see the text just fine in the dialogs, it's on the map where it shows as ?????
I can also see the text in the first two files in the address_unicode_tournament_trie dir, if I open them as UTF8 files.

datjomp: I think you're better off posting feature requests to the official bugtracker at http://code.google.com/p/monav/issues/list

kovach: thanks. You should also file this as a bug in the above tracker, but I'll see what I can do..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accumulator For This Useful Post:
kovach: it seems to be a problem with the prepared packages over at http://monav.openstreetmap.de/#mapsets. The places.pqdb files already contain the question marks you see on the map, so it's not a decoding issue of the text in the client.

My own preprocessor run on Greece yielded correct character encodings in the places.pqdb file.

I have the greece map available for download here, can you check if that works as expected?

The Following User Says Thank You to accumulator For This Useful Post:
Right, filed a bug. Also tested it with the old 0.3 deb from the monav site, it has the same problem.

ah it seems there's also a problem with the decoding in the client on the 0.3.1 branch. I will make a snapshot build from the latest sources, it works fine for me.