Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Originally Posted by nbkjbmj View Post
Update: the power jack on the phone is peeled off entirely, poor quality...you guys need to be careful about that. I have to return this...
The power jacs / micro usb seem to be SMD only (I remember a post some weeks ago! - someone has references?). This is inappropriate for parts on which forces (i.e. power jacks ...) are applied frequently - and this is the case! ... my N900 is loaded each day (sometimes all 2 days).

I don't understand why Nokia wanted to save the parts of a cent for drilling two holes ... guess in some months or years we all will have to bring our devices to Nokia.

For EC guys: This is a CONSTRUCTION ERROR - and therefore IMHO can be claimed even after 2 yr. EC warrenty ....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiener For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
yeap. Everytime when i try to connect microb jack i'am worried that i might break it.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-02 at 20:14.

Originally Posted by nbkjbmj View Post
Update: the power jack on the phone is peeled off entirely, poor quality...you guys need to be careful about that. I have to return this...
Welcome to the club.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by slender View Post
yeap. Everytime when i try to connect microb jack i'am worried that i might break it.
Yep, and I feel that mine has a slight "wiggle" to it, so I am not going to be too surprised if something goes wrong. I can probably move it 3-4 degrees laterally, and 1-2 degrees vertically, in each direction. (6-8 degrees and 2-4 degrees total in each direction) That is before feeling a resistance, so that is the current looseness that I have in the connection after 5 weeks of daily use.

I am plugging the phone in 2-3 times every day. Once when I reach the office and once before I go to bed. If there is heavy media player usage, or if I want to use the microSD as a drive somewhere else I need to plug it in for that as well.

Last edited by olighak; 2010-01-02 at 23:59.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Is this a retail N900 or one of the first 300 that were sent to that group?

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Is this a retail N900 or one of the first 300 that were sent to that group?
Mine is a production unit. IMEI ending in 104253. As I´ve seen a few of them lately, and the last 6 digits of the IMEI I´ve seen seem to consistently rising, by each production week, I believe that means its pretty early in the production run.

I´ve seen units from production weeks 46-50.

Also if he OP says he´s had it for just over a month we´ve got to assume it´s not a pre-production unit, as those were handed out around 2.5 months ago.

Last edited by olighak; 2010-01-03 at 00:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Mine is a production unit. IMEI ending in 104253. As I´ve seen a few of them lately, and the last 6 digits of the IMEI I´ve seen seem to consistently rising, by each production week, I believe that means its pretty early in the production run.

Also if he OP says he´s had it for just over a month we´ve got to assume it´s not a pre-production unit, as those were handed out around 2.5 months ago.
Same here, mine wiggles to the right (about 1mm)

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Same here, mine wiggles to the right (about 1mm)
Mine wriggles but its not the usb jack, that doesnt move at all. Its the actual plug that is wriggling. I would say this is normal so you can wriggle it out. If it was to tight you would pull the whole thing out anyway. Last 6, IMEI - 685482

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moon
so much for production units having this fixed

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Croc For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I had this happen on my N85 and i don't think you can fix this unless you change the motherboard in the phone. or can you?

This is why on my N900 i am being very careful with it this time

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty