Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Originally Posted by pipeline View Post
Additionally (and probably unpopularly) i think relying -solely- on repos hurts tablets. I think whenever possible, tablet developers should make some attempt to release a version which statically links any necessary libraries so that there is no dependency hell.
Not unpopular with me. Almost like a lot of the software doesn't want to be installed. I am sure there are many people that just completely give up trying to get somethings installed.
Responding to both posts...

I see no need to have things statically linked in order to be independently downloadable; links to where you can find those libraries (or, perhaps, mirroring the libraries) is much more sane.

But the whole point of repositories is so you don't have "dependency hell". If you have those problems, it's an issue of how the repositories are set up, how many of them there are, etc.; fixing that (by using maemo.org extras repo, mainly) is what GA, Tex, and others are advocating, and will avoid both "dependency hell" and every app having its own version of every (non-stock OS) library statically linked in.

FWIW, I don't often finding dependency hunting especially hellious when using a dependency-less packaging system (slackware fanboy here!); and it's not all that bad when using dpkg. But I recognize that there are indeed "many people", as you say, who would quit because they have no knowledge. That's why apt-get install $PACKAGE is supposed to just work.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-05-21 at 17:47. Reason: Add quotes for clarification

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
I'm confused:

How can itTSS syndicate "developing" themes and NumptyPhysics levels, if they are not on maemo.org in the first place?
I wasn't arguing against adding themes and game levels to ITTSS. I was arguing against re-listing applications, which should already be listed on the Maemo Downloads website. Syndicate what already exists, and add themes/levels if necessary (that is, if Maemo Downloads won't allow them to be hosted there). And don't advocate listing applications directly in ITTSS - list them on Maemo Downloads instead, and you get ITTSS syndication for free.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I think people are reading quickly. The hazard of a lot of blather.

We should take Stephen's approach from this point on and stealthily vote our sentiments with a bunch of silent Thanks.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
OK so Basicly no on dissagrees that it would be nice to have somewhere to download everything from Maemo Apps to theme's to backgrounds everything. I think that syndication of the Maemo Apps would be a good idea if we could get something coded that would add the app to ITTSS list and make a topic for it in forums. Now for the time being would you guys not agree it would be best to have a download section here that has everything. Yes I know Devolpers would have to upload twice but once/if we get syndication figured out. I will take reggie and maemo.org guys working together to figure how to write something that will do it. If its possible.

So what I'm asking would it not be better to have something then nothing. I don't know if reggie would be willing to synicate the maemo.org apps if it was possible to do it, and still have uploads here. What do you guys think about it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by andrewfblack View Post
So what I'm asking would it not be better to have something then nothing. I don't know if reggie would be willing to synicate the maemo.org apps if it was possible to do it, and still have uploads here. What do you guys think about it.
I propose starting small.

First, Reggie could revive his idea but with an exclusive scope as has been recommended by some.

Second, he could push for the syndication. IIRC X-Fade was working on that as of last month.

Third, we hog-tie or local maemo advocate (*cough* Jaffa *cough*) and have him refine/expand his original proposals to incorporate additions to the maemo downloads scope.

EDIT: Oh, hyvää iltaa Quim!

EDIT 2: I think Downloads should be split into two subsections--

DOWNLOADS
-Themes, Levels, and other Support Files
-Syndicated Application Links

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-05-21 at 18:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
We should take Stephen's approach from this point on and stealthily vote our sentiments with a bunch of silent Thanks.
Noooooo! My cover's blown!

Now, where's that bloody "No Thanks!" button?

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
I'd like to point out something: a quick check on maemo.org download page shows that applications are downloaded between 1000 and 3000 times for the most popular (4000 for pidgin). That would seem to mean that less than 1% of the tablet owners use it. It is not many users.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I think that might only count if download off site not if downloaded from repo but I might be wrong.

Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
I'd like to point out something: a quick check on maemo.org download page shows that applications are downloaded between 1000 and 3000 times for the most popular (4000 for pidgin). That would seem to mean that less than 1% of the tablet owners use it. It is not many users.
...which, again, points to an educational opportunity.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Texrat sure has been outing a lot of people lately. ;-)