Notices

Poll: How to Design PyDrum
Poll Options
How to Design PyDrum

I just couldn't stop myself...

Video:

I shoved a drum machine in PyAno and let it rip, basically. Maybe we could have a real drum machine out of this thing in the next few days. (This was done in five minutes.)

I actually made a deb already using the "outline" from PyAno.

Oh, and I missed an awesome oppurtunity After I made the video I got out my 770's stylus. I had drum sticks. They worked quite well

But, the reason for the poll is that I'm just not sure how it should be designed.

Please answer so that I can get a bearing on where to go with this thing.

Thanks a lot

*Edit: I gotta have more cowbell, baby!*

Last edited by Aisu; 2008-08-11 at 04:44.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
These are pretty cool apps you've been writing. Makes me even more sure that these things need to be multi touch. I'm used to playing the drums on my steering wheel, so it'd be cool to play them on the device that's also my mp3 player

I voted for icons, but I don't think it matters too much, write the stuff that keeps you interested in the project!

Dude, really nice apps your making. Keep up the good work. I can just see it now a "Nokia N8?? Band"

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
About multitouch...

It can somewhat be detected to a certain degree.
When you multitouch, the mouse pointer position jumps to a place between the touch points.
It depends on the amount of pressure to which touch point it's nearer.

So, basically, if you are in a mouse-down state, and detect an abrupt skipping of the pointer (instead of smooth motion), you can assume that there has been a second touch. Depending on the new pointer position, you can compute the coordinates of the second touch point.

This at least works with two touch points. When having three or more, it will be impossible to compute all touch points. And it works on the 770, the N800, as well as the N810.

Maybe somebody will be able to put this information to use.
I find it quite interesting to see that multitouch detection is somewhat possible.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Bucuresti
leave the interface like this and put a row of tempo like an electronic piano

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Hmm I'd suggest splitting it into two interfaces if possible?

A standard drum-kit with icons, and a drum-machine with more functions but simple square buttons with text

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Well...

I just wanted to let you guys see what you think before I go any further with it. Right now it's as minimalistic as possible. Two rows of four squares of alternating color, all with a different percussion piece attached to them.

Cymbal--Hat--Cowbell(!)--Metal
Snare--High Congo--Mid Congo--Low Congo

Get it HERE!

And, yes, since I used PyAno's backbone, you can up the frequency on each hit with the volume hardware buttons. It'll double the pitch, I believe.

And the N810's keyboard can control the drums, too. (z-m, a)

Right now bug reports are needed if you find something! And suggestions are very welcome. (The errors importing the cdrom and joystick modules are already known. These will not effect PyDrum at all.)

The next thing I really want to implement is a way to create custom sound packs for this, though. Then a nice GUI will be on the block.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Enjoy!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aisu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
Well first, a damn great app! I love it.
Second, I find Metal sound quite useless... You might want to change that to ex. to the sound of when you the drum sticks together. Of course if you make some sort of sound packs for this, you should make it so that everyone can choose what button gives the sound they want.
Also, the cymbal sound is quite dull. Maybe a bit more balls into it or something?

But, like I said, great app!

Jolla, The First One TOH
N9, black 16GB
N810

Originally Posted by Sevanteri View Post
Well first, a damn great app! I love it.
Second, I find Metal sound quite useless... You might want to change that to ex. to the sound of when you the drum sticks together. Of course if you make some sort of sound packs for this, you should make it so that everyone can choose what button gives the sound they want.
Also, the cymbal sound is quite dull. Maybe a bit more balls into it or something?

But, like I said, great app!
Thanks a lot

I'll take a look at the cymbal sound, and I think metal will be changed, but I'm not sure to what...

AND, if you'd like to tar eight different wavs together, then I could use that as one of the first sound packs.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Very cool... It'd be great if custom samples (mp3s?) could be assigned to each "pad."

-T.

Tags
drum, poll, pydrum