Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Is this where we nominate?
i'd like to nominate:
1. Aaporantalainen - he maintains MyPaint and actively ports games and other software for the community
2. rcolistete - he's been making helpful educational software for the community (integral, derivative, etc) and he's got a wonderful reason behind his efforts
3. creativetone - he stands as an inspiration and shows that the resistive screen of the N900 is indeed one of its biggest strengths through his fine works of art
4. Robbiethe1st - we can't deny that backupmenu is one of the most helpful software for a development device. it makes testing of new software really easy, even relatively inexperienced users can test software usability knowing that they have a full backup behind them.

these are some of my nominations, aside from the big names like pali, freemangordon, DocScrutinizer, MAG, etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^Some great ideas but...
Isn't one of the criteria of the Community Awards that devs aren't nominated?
That's for the 3 other categories etc.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-22 at 14:53. Reason: typo

No one said devs cannot be nominated, but, indeed, criteria for choosing actual winners will be much different from coding categories. Probably, developing single or two - even extremely popular - programs won't be enough - it's rather about involvement in Community as a whole (so software projects count, but only as part of "score" - don't take "score" literally).

As for self-nominations and 3rd-party nominations at the same time - well, I suppose, that it will make shy ones wait until someone nominates them (most likely, to last moment) - but, I'm ok with it.

And no, this thread should *not* be hijacked for nominations. IMO, nominations should be made *only* via mailing list, which is both official way for such programs, and, honestly, more proper than thread on TMO, which tends to get bloated quickly.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Please check the descriptions at

New Apps @ Nokia Store
http://wiki.maemo.org/Summer%2712_De...40_Nokia_Store

Qt 5 Mobile Projects
http://wiki.maemo.org/Summer%2712_De...obile_Projects

and let me know if there is still something to be done before creating the new threads and starting these two activities.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Please check the descriptions at

New Apps @ Nokia Store
http://wiki.maemo.org/Summer%2712_De...40_Nokia_Store

Qt 5 Mobile Projects
http://wiki.maemo.org/Summer%2712_De...obile_Projects

and let me know if there is still something to be done before creating the new threads and starting these two activities.
While supportive, I would rather that you did not carry out the actual application processes on t.m.o. with all the submissions and responses, etc. being on t.m.o. The topics are not squarely maemo topics and the volume of postings could get to be large. It seems they could be done at nokia.developer.com and at Qt Project. A general thread on t.m.o. promoting the projects is fine, as is one with ongoing discussions of those activities.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
?

One activity is about Harmattan community apps in the Nokia Store.

The other one is about Qt 5 community projects running in Qt 5 on top of Harmattan.

I thought it was general consensus that Harmattan & N9 had a place here? And since when volume of posts has been a problem in TMO?

Also, the main justification for these devices is to help maemo.org. Actually I'm counting on the comments & thanks of users in this community to decide who gets in... Of course I could try to pull users to Qt DevNet forum or Nokia Developer forum but...

(puzzled)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think it's to our benefit to keep the devices here than spread them over to nokia developer. It's not a big number of devices and a good motivation for this community. In fact they are barely enough for the people here who deserve them.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
^Some great ideas but...
Isn't one of the criteria of the Community Awards that devs aren't nominated?
That's for the 3 other categories etc.
well, the reason why i nominated them was because:
1. Aaporantalainen - though not making new software (sorry if you did, i didn't know any) he actively ports software for the community and the ones he ports are not high profile ones so they don't get much attention. I believe such efforts should be recognized.

2. rcolistete - he's a teacher and has been making helpful educational software for the community as an extension of his profession and in memory of his wife. Inspirational.

3. Creativetone (non-dev) - he stands as an inspiration and shows that the resistive screen of the N900 is indeed one of its biggest strengths through his fine works of art

4. Robbiethe1st - well, i nominated him purely because of his dev work so maybe his nomination can be moved.

I'll just wait for the official nominations to start.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
well, the reason why i nominated them was because:
1. Aaporantalainen - though not making new software (sorry if you did, i didn't know any) he actively ports software for the community and the ones he ports are not high profile ones so they don't get much attention. I believe such efforts should be recognized.
This is so wrong, Aapo contributed both in Games section and dev at the same time. GCC 4.6? Countless lib*-dev packages (freepascal compiler, lua, libtcod, newest libsdl, libstdc++, things others wouldn't dare approach got 'releases' - quotation marks here just mean some releases stopped by Nokia autobuilder still got through in some way). He contributed in keeping maemo alive more than anyone I can think of. Not 1st popular app, not popular in certain minorities (yes, he compiles on pre-CSSU, so his crawl will cause enter problems to those), this guy deserves recognition (though he has a N950 :/ and the problem starts, most/best contributors already have one, what does qgil have in mind to award them), what would be the proper way of awarding such people? N9 is not gonna cut it I'm afraid. Official title? Invitation to next Nokia World? Something needs to be added if we exclude N950 owners from having 2k boost to their budget, offering a lousy 270 instead.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

One activity is about Harmattan community apps in the Nokia Store.

The other one is about Qt 5 community projects running in Qt 5 on top of Harmattan.

I thought it was general consensus that Harmattan & N9 had a place here? And since when volume of posts has been a problem in TMO?
Well, let's not make this a bigger issue than it is. Just because some line can be drawn between a proposal and Harmattan doesn't mean there's nothing to be discussed. Didn't we use the wiki last time for device applications and is there some reason we can't use it again this time?

Also, the main justification for these devices is to help maemo.org. Actually I'm counting on the comments & thanks of users in this community to decide who gets in... Of course I could try to pull users to Qt DevNet forum or Nokia Developer forum but...
Since you mention it, how do you see porting community apps to the Nokia store or promoting Qt5 as helping maemo.org? Sure, device programs get attention but these two activities are focused on things a bit distant from maemo.org.

Last edited by SD69; 2012-05-23 at 15:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: