Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
* I have a N810.
* I'm interested to see and use general updates to current software. For example, keeping Tear updated with new builds of webkit, updated FBReader in Extras, keeping Maemo Mapper working with map repositories, keeping Erminig working, keep the IM client working with MSN/etc, updated versions of gpe-* when they come out, updates to Panucci, etc. For the most part I'm happy enough with the functionality and would like it to simply stay current. If Mer or Android is the means for this to happen, great. If it's simply occasional updates to individual packages, good enough.
* I'm willing to contribute with minimal testing, especially for packages I use.
* If extremely easy testing packages for Mer, running at full speed and without significant missing functionality would happen, I would then be able to do testing and consider moving over to it either temporarily or permanently.
* If a general update to the system would happen, I would then be able to happily continue with my life.

Last edited by akorvemaker; 2010-02-23 at 18:07.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
* The final installation will be a complete reflash - I'm not going to spend much time on dual-boot (it may or may not work easily).
If anybody can consider a dual-boot solution, that would be ideal. I'm just concerned about losing some diablo apps when the time comes to move (or try) mer; e.g., skype, canola2, mytube, etc. Thank you in advance!

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
I too have an n810 that I bought on ebay and love!

I am no where near ready to give up on this device....

use for media and podcasts, fbreader, evince and some video.

no skills in programming but can contribute with graphics, pr or marketing.

even though I don't know about mer, willing to try.

my latest wild idea is to use the n810 as a graphics tablet via bluetooth with the ipad with sumopaint!

I too am an N810(w) owner, and am in full support of it still being a magical device. I'll be there.

Originally Posted by Hrw View Post
* I have a N810 (and 770 which can gather dust)

* I'm interested to see something fresh working on it. Will it be Mer or MeeGo or other name.

* I'm willing to contribute with testing and knowledge.
Same, N810 benched for months. Would love to test something 'new' running on it.

Hi,

* I have a n800 - I've been using it every day for almost 3 years now

* I'm interested to see and use a comunity based ssu / stable enough for every day use which would bring an updated browser engine, maybe a more modern desktop (maybe helped by the newly released 3d drivers) but after all that's eye candy and can wait.

* I'm willing to contribute with testing and bug reports but since the n800 is my only internet tablet I can't help testing until it's stable enough for everyday use. (even if bleeding edge with bugs and errors)

* I want to keep using my internet tablet WITH USB HOST for as long as possible - especially since I don't see a better replacement for it.

* I have a N800, just purchased a few months ago. Use it daily. Decided on it over an N810

* I'm interested to see and use any OS on my device that is decently stable and Dev's will provide apps for. I am really interested in astronomy software, along with multimedia and PDA apps. I run Garnet VM on it because it has more astro software than Maemo

* I'm willing to contribute with Beta testing. still new to Linux commands and deal more with PHP than any other language.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheeto4493 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Mexico
* I have a n800, and use it every day

* I'm interested to see and use a community based ssu / stable enough for every day use, updated browser, fbreader, rss reader, xournal, maps/navigation, games, media player, and anything I can install from the ubuntu/debian repos; I use a bluetooth keyboard for any long text input, so any king of on screen keyboard for short or simple text inputs would be enough.

- I'm willing to contribute with testing and bug reports, and translations to spanish if you need them.

- I want to keep using my internet tablet, if possible with usb host; there doesn't seem to be any hope for something like this in Mexico any time soon.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Just posted http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=551557 - first snapshot (X86 only right now) of Mer^2. Only for hardcore developers
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Hey, I'm all for moving forward with developing a version of MeeGo for the n8xx line and just dumping Mer. Not that Mer isn't a good project, but I think MeeGo will be light years ahead of it, and by the time that Mer catches up to Diablo, MeeGo will be so far ahead that it won't be worth having.
Late response. A few people have made this case. I see some practical problems with it:
1. The community has code for Fremantle now. How many months will elapse before we get code for MeeGo?
2. When we get MeeGo, will it be trivially easy to backport it, or will it take months of work? For example, in the Mer^2 snapshot 40 thread, we can see that Stskeeps is calling for a rework of the desktop b/c the N8xx can't handle the accelerated graphics. Would you expect that this would not be an issue with MeeGo?
3. If Diablo or Mer ever gets Qt 4.6, then it will presumably be able to use some of the MeeGo apps. Might be a lot easier to do this than backport all of MeeGo & might gain a lot.

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810