Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
Uuh... headache on at my end here. Reason why: I use a slightly modified ideal-profile, I made it go from 250MHz to 1GHz, thats all. But I suffer severe battery drain. About 1% per minute!
If I close all apps, let the device rest, and have a look at Conky, the device idles at 250MHz with about 3-5% load on the CPU and all 8-10 secs it upscales to 1000MHz for 2-4 secs with CPU load still around 4% and then back to 250MHz.
I dont have any special background daemons, watchdogs or services running. All apps closed. Where does that jumpy behavior come from?! Conkys graph also is completely level, no peaks or exceptional stress, just upscale to 1GHz and back again.... Any ideas?
looks normal too me,

i always stay @500-1.15GHz (ideal) settings as my personal settings and let it load upon every boot, but no extra-ordinary battery drain.

the upscaling from 250 MHz to 1GHz for 8-10 or quicker is normal, that is because of the "ondemand" setting of the CPU (not really sure but that is what i read).

Ondemand gives the cpu to switch from the lowest available freq to the highest without scaling on other mid freqs. i believe.

check your cpu usage again, you might have instances that your cpu runs constant @ 100%

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
Uuh... headache on at my end here. Reason why: I use a slightly modified ideal-profile, I made it go from 250MHz to 1GHz, thats all. But I suffer severe battery drain. About 1% per minute!
If I close all apps, let the device rest, and have a look at Conky, the device idles at 250MHz with about 3-5% load on the CPU and all 8-10 secs it upscales to 1000MHz for 2-4 secs with CPU load still around 4% and then back to 250MHz.
I dont have any special background daemons, watchdogs or services running. All apps closed. Where does that jumpy behavior come from?! Conkys graph also is completely level, no peaks or exceptional stress, just upscale to 1GHz and back again.... Any ideas?
I have found the same bug...everything seems normal in conky but when you see the red line in the battery graph it keeps draining my battery under sleeping condition without any CPU usage. Though for me my own configuration and ideal is more stable than starving but starving seems to save battery in one figure while in other figure ideal was doing good under ideal condition.
My frequency is from 256 to 850 MHZ

Comparing voltage in IDEAL>Starving>Own config at lower frequencies below 600
while above 600 IDEAL> Own config> Starving

Any clue why this behaviour in 2nd figure?
Attached Images

Last edited by drangina; 2010-09-12 at 15:55.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
looks normal too me
Well no, 1% a minute is not normal

the upscaling from 250 MHz to 1GHz for 8-10 or quicker is normal, that is because of the "ondemand" setting of the CPU (not really sure but that is what i read).
I think you misunderstood. I'm not complaining about the technology or the kernel or anything. I possess basic knowledge of power saving techniques, underclocking, overclocking etc. So it is clear to me that it takes a while for the CPU to actually scale up when suddenly experiencing load and of course that it will take it's time to settle again, once the load is gone. Now all this is not my problem. My problem is: my device is laying flat on my desk, no apps or progs running, no exceptional background processes running, basically: there is no need to upscale. But why does it still do so and figuratively burning battery for nothing?
Laying there with Xorg eating ~3%, Conky ~1% and some hildon-stuff eating a combined 1% we are at about 5%. This is what Conky also shows: 5% CPU load. There is no need to ask 1000MHz, why and what does do so?

Ondemand gives the cpu to switch from the lowest available freq to the highest without scaling on other mid freqs. i believe.
I know. And yes it's true, if needed it can go from 0 to 100, but also, if needed to any point inbetween those two figures. Not exactly, the steps are defined (the supported frequencies), but you get the idea...

check your cpu usage again, you might have instances that your cpu runs constant @ 100%
As pointed out above, no instances asking for power. At least no obvious ones. There maybe is a process jumping in just short enough to Conky not list it but long enough for Conky to notice the jump in CPU frequency.

The Following User Says Thank You to schaggo For This Useful Post:
@schaggo

hmmmm........as per your post that is a problem, a percent per minute!

does it still occur after your battery drained and been fully charged?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
I got annoyed and traded a good nights sleep for a complete reflash. My device is so to say factory new, I just put it back in ops. If its a hardware issue, it should pop up üretty soon again, if it was software, I guess I (dis)solved it.

I guess it would have been fun to track it down...

I got annoyed and traded a good nights sleep for a complete reflash. My device is so to say factory new, I just put it back in ops. If its a hardware issue, it should pop up üretty soon again, if it was software, I guess I (dis)solved it.

I guess it would have been fun to track it down...
hmmm......hoping you should wait longer

if a reflash did solve it, you might got Advance apps installed that makes Xorg uses 70% of cpu.

EDIT: aw! i just saw the thread you posted a reply!

just to share this:

for almost 5 months (i think its really that long) of overclocking, my experience with battery life is awesome!

in nokia's stock kernel of 250-600mhz, my n900 lasts up to 8hrs - 10hrs of stand-by with wifi and 5 IM accounts, and i think 2 hrs of web browsing plus video streaming.

when i overclocked using enhance kernel for power users, with the Ideal settings of 500-850mhz up to 1150mhz, stand-by (with all activites same as above) lasts for 13hrs-15hrs between charging/replace battery!

EDIT: i just looked at Conky and my uptime is 16hrs, 48mins and 3secs.

The Following User Says Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
just to share this:

for almost 5 months (i think its really that long) of overclocking, my experience with battery life is awesome!

in nokia's stock kernel of 250-600mhz, my n900 lasts up to 8hrs - 10hrs of stand-by with wifi and 5 IM accounts, and i think 2 hrs of web browsing plus video streaming.

when i overclocked using enhance kernel for power users, with the Ideal settings of 500-850mhz up to 1150mhz, stand-by (with all activites same as above) lasts for 13hrs-15hrs between charging/replace battery!

EDIT: i just looked at Conky and my uptime is 16hrs, 48mins and 3secs.
good for you gabs! ideal doesn't work well with me.. it reboots whenever i watch movie or stream a video..

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
max should be 250. everything >250 is interpreted as the next frequency, i.e. 500.
but 125 doesn't make sense, IMHO. Idle = 0MHz @ 0V.

Originally Posted by drangina View Post
I think i found a bug...
When i set the custom voltage profile Min freq 125 and Max 256.
While using it i see cpu frequency going upto 500 everytime and keep jumping from 125 to 500. Otherwise if i fix other frequencies it follows the command properly.

Any suggestion how to avoid 500
I am checking the minimum voltage tolerable.

The Following User Says Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
i have the conky bug too.
if nothing is running after 10-12 seconds my cpu freq jumps for 1-2 seconds to 850 but my cpu load is at 10%.
i use titans kernel with 250-850 mhz.
but the really confusing thing is that im not seeing any battery difference.with much use my battery runs 24 hours

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom