Posts: 38 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Newcastle
Due an upgrade/end of contract soon. What should I get to supplement/replace my N900?

Really don't want an 800 Lumia/any WinPhone.
I really want an N9...purely sexual, but no chance on contract in UK.
I'd eat shite rather than get an iphone...but I could sell on to a sheep for £ching and order an N9 sim-free.
A Galaxy S2 or an HTC Beats as an FU to Nokia for the N9 debacle and to Apple as I hate them.

Will be keeping the N900...

Ta,
Robin

i change my n900 for other cellphone n900 make me sad

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
The N9 is getting cheaper during these periods. It is inevitable that you cannot get it under a contract with N9 because you're not living in a country where they are officially for sale. If you could, I'd say try saving a bit of cash and do get the N9 if you really want it.

The android devices are interesting and with N9 being made to `feel' similar to the other smartphone these days its hard to say what really gives N9 the sort of edge that makes it unique apart from being powered by harmattan. I would personally not go with android devices until no other manufacturer would produce a proper linux powered device that does not run linux through vm (android is essentially linux kernel with dalvik vm fyi). Though apart from that I really don't have any other suggestion.

The Following User Says Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Same situation for me. I love my N900, but it is too slow for me and I miss some features.
I will stay with it until March/April and look at the prices for the N9 again. If they're not too high (600 Euros for a smartphone - honestly, I could get two Android phones for this price), I will either buy a N9 or wait for Tizen to see what it can do.

So my advice for you: Currently, we have a bad time for switching smartphones - you should wait some months before making a decision.

I had a brief play with a Lumia in the 3 shop in the Metrocentre...looks lush (like an N9!) and seems responsive enough but just something about it isn't 'right'.

SGS2, Nexus and Beats look ok, but absolutely collossal in size. Nice displays etc. Can any of them TV out?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by teethgrinder View Post
SGS2, Nexus and Beats look ok, but absolutely collossal in size. Nice displays etc. Can any of them TV out?
The SGS2 should have a micro-hdmi port, and the Nexus and Beats have an adapter to provide an hdmi signal through the micro-usb port.

Remember, you're leaving the wide-open world of Maemo and entering the locked-down arena of Android here. Might be better than iOS & WP, but still mostly just a little sandbox filled with trivial little apps. Hang on to that N900!

the N900 will be kept safe and away from the kids, just like now!

IF I do go 'droid I suspest it will be Cyanogemod sooner rather than later, but I might even get an O2 simplicity (or equivalent) and keep N900 in use.

It is, after all Teh AWSUM.

keep th N900 and take a reduced fee contract should drop to £10ish have a great phone and cheap calls/net

I can only give you a single advice: stay away from Windows Phones! Seriously, you would be better off with iOS and that tells something. I have owned a Dell Venue Pro, which is a WP7 device, so I talk from experience. I couldn't stand that device - I returned it the next day, mainly due to the WP7 OS, since the hardware was excellent.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radishface For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My N900 is still getting better and more useful all the time. I am tempted by the N9. No matter what, I am not paying huge monthly fees for Internet access, since I'm mostly in a wireless environment. I haven't seen any offer good enough and cheap enough to replace my N900.