Hi. Thinking of getting an N810 and have a couple questions:

I think I might have read somewhere that you cannot charge (or have it powered by the wall plug with no battery) the N810 and use it at the same time? Sounds odd to me, but it might be that way... and it probably wouldn't stop me from getting one, but I would like to know beforehand.

Also, I'd be using it mostly for PDF reading and web surfing. Is the PDF reader good, and finally does Fennec let you use tabs (my favourite way to surf)?

Thanks in advance,
JET

Welcome to the forums.

First point, yes, you can use it while charging.

Second, I've used both the built in PDF reader and xournal and found them both adequate for reading purposes.

As to Fennec, the last time I used it it was still unreasonably slow but you can use tabs.

Hope that helps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichS For This Useful Post:
Thanks! So Fennec is too slow... too bad, it looked good. Does the built in browser (it is Opera based isn't it?) do tabs?

Don't know where I thought I heard that about the charging, glad it isn't that way.

I guess we're all still in the dark about the shipping date of the next generation Nokia tablet too huh? I'm trying to decide whether to get an N810 now for these basic uses or wait for the new one... but it'll likely be way too expensive at first too (if it even comes out within the next 6-8 months), so I don't know which way I'll go yet.

Last edited by JETkoten; 2009-04-25 at 16:56.

I was under the impression that one cannot operate the N8xx without the battery being in the unit.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Built-in isn't Opera-based. Use my Newbie link to find Tear 0.3.1 -- it's much faster than the built-in MicroB. But no tabs on either -- multiple windows instead.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-04-25 at 20:05.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Evince is an excellent pdf reader, too.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I was under the impression that one cannot operate the N8xx without the battery being in the unit.
Correct, it can be used with the battery charging, but it cannot be used with no battery at all. (power adapter, but no battery)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by 987687 View Post
Correct, it can be used with the battery charging, but it cannot be used with no battery at all. (power adapter, but no battery)
Part of this is, aside from the electronics layout, that the wall wart isn't able to put out enough juice to run the tablet undo a full load.

Final point, it's better to let the battery absorb some juice before you start using it, i.e. don't try to both use it and charge it when the battery is empty. In practice that means that when you have unpacked it for the first time and you're impatient, you should still give it alt least twenty minutes or half an hour on the charger before you turn it on. If you just can't wait the full two hours to get to a full carge.

(After that, just keep charging it (even while using it) as soon as you get the chance. These batteries are happy to be charged often and they intensely dislike a deep discharge.)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Built-in isn't Opera-based. Use my Newbie link to find Tear 0.3.1 -- it's much faster than the built-in MicroB. But no tabs on either -- multiple windows instead.
Midori is also available, and it's quite fast and does support tabs, as well as plenty of nice features. I haven't used Tear in a while, so I can't speak to it, but Midori handles JS-intensive pages quite nicely; whereas microB couldn't handle Google Maps useably by itself, Midori can handle it well with a bunch of other apps running at the same time. It's in Extras.