Notices

Does anyone think it would be possible to run Myst on DosBox? Or theres a Open-Source Myst/Riven python engine http://pyzzle.sourceforge.net/
, would it be able to port that?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kevlin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I don't think that engine works.

I'd love to have Myst on the tablet, unfortunately windows 3.1 was the minimal operating system to make it work and it (Windows 3.1) runs pretty slow and messy in dosbox on an N800, so I didn't even bother to try running Myst under these conditions.
There is this project http://fissure.sourceforge.net/ but it's just a webpage... (no release, no sources, no docs...)
On the other hand the 10th anniversary DVD edition should run on mac os 8.1... too bad it says 233Mhz G3 minimum processor speed (Sheepshaver runs too slow on the nit)

why not try it on the Mac emulator. The Original Myst ought to run under system 8 fine.

Actually the original Myst (or at least the version I have) was only for PC

It seems i was wrong http://members.chello.at/theodor.lau...games/myst.htm
The original Mac version of Myst could work on the Basilisk II... too bad I have no idea where to find it
There's also an Amiga port...

Great news! (well... sort of...) I've found the original Myst 1993 Mac CD (thinking I've always made fun of the person who gave it to me because of him being an apple fanboy to the bones makes me feel a really bad person), but I'm still too dumb to make my BasiliskII installation under Ubuntu work with CD support... d'oh! And worst of all, I've no idea how to use an old apple system (I was a MS user before switching to Linux and no, MS is not Naruto related, it's Microsoft! )
Given that it runs on the BasiliskII on my pc there's a major problem we have to face: how do we make the system (mac os) think a normal folder on the SD card is a CD instead? mumblemumble...

No luck... the basiliskII looks for /dev/cdrom directory (non existing in Ubuntu8.04), so I created it and used hmount /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom.
Now the basilisk is not complaining about the missing CDROM /dev/cdrom, but I cannot find a CD once I'm in Mac OS.
I have the AppleCDROM extension installed, but I'm not sure is loaded on boot...
I read all the CDROM related help on the sourceforce page but nothing helped...
I searched on the Ubuntu forum with no luck...

Man I hate this apple software...

Well, I'm not a user of Macs (old or new), BasiliskII, or Ubuntu8.04 (that's "Hard o' Hearin'", isn't it? ), but I don't think that's quite right.

I'm guessing here that it doesn't look for a directory /dev/cdrom, but looks for a device file /dev/cdrom, with an ISO9660 filesystem on it. (No, Apples used a different filesystem for CDs, didn't they... HFS, maybe?)

So, I'm gonna say you should do one of two things.

If you have a USB CD-ROM drive, get that working (powered hub, probably) with OTG. It should be /dev/sr0, and then you can do
Code:
ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom
and basiliskII should get it.

If you don't have a CD-ROM drive, you'll need to dump the CDROM to a file (on your PC):
Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/media/my_sd_card/myst.cdrom.img
Then, it depends on BasiliskII; if you're lucky, it will work with that image file directly, so you can:
Code:
ln -s /media/mmc1/my_sd_card /dev/cdrom
If it's finicky and requires a genuine block special file, you'll need to use a loopback device, like:
Code:
losetup /dev/loop0 /media/mmc1/my_sd_card
ln -s /dev/loop0 /dev/cdrom
(IIRC, OS2008 doesn't have all the stuff for loopback mounts, so this may be a bit more challenging than portrayed. Avoid if possible.)

System 8 could read ISO formatted CD's just fine so long as the extension was loaded.