Notices

Hi, Guys

I have been a proud owner of the n900 for almost 2 years now, unfortunately, I haven't contributed anything to the community.

Although my lack of expertise in developing software, I thought I would submit myself to the process and be part of the maemo community.

So, I found one of my old Twitter for Conky Python scripts, removed the Conky part, and n900 Twitter was born.

It's a command-line twitter client

NOTE:
1. You'll need the Tweepy library. code.google.com/p/tweepy/
2. You'll need python-setuptools to install tweepy
Code:
 ~ $ root
    Nokia-N900: apt-get install python-setuptools

3. You'll need to register an app at dev.twitter.com/apps/new

4. Edit the script in and fill where it says "YOURS"
Code:
CONSUMER_KEY = 'YOURS'
CONSUMER_SECRET = 'YOURS'
ACCESS_KEY = 'YOURS'
ACCESS_SECRET = 'YOURS'
5. use Cmd Shortcuts to launch it

Download link: http://techuff.com/N900Twitter.py

Screenshots:

I know it's not revolutionary...this is just my simple way of contributing to a community that gave me much...much more.

Screenshots of my next project: WebSocial.py

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MadDev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ India
this is so cool i love command line apps. its makes me look like a pro although i am just a normal guy

The Following User Says Thank You to ijAcK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Thank you! Now everybody can have his own, personalised signature of source of the tweet. [I have recently seen a discussion about Facebook app having an unchangeable string; is there any 'Command-Line Facebook' which could resolve this problem?]
Simply genius.
Not that I use Twitter. But I still admire the 'Command-Line Twitter'.
Best wishes.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
Thank you! Now everybody can have his own, personalised signature of source of the tweet. [I have recently seen a discussion about Facebook app having an unchangeable string; is there any 'Command-Line Facebook' which could resolve this problem?]
Simply genius.
Not that I use Twitter. But I still admire the 'Command-Line Twitter'.
Best wishes.
It doesn't really require a command-line program with user-definable credentials. There is nothing to stop anyone from re-compiling one of the existing GUI clients with substituted credentials.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
It doesn't really require a command-line program with user-definable credentials. There is nothing to stop anyone from re-compiling one of the existing GUI clients with substituted credentials.
Agree. But, recompilation is not the easiest thing in the world. It would be better if it was either written as script (no compilation needed) or storing its credentials in a text file (no recompilation needed, since the credentials are outside the binary). The latter would generally be good practice - for open-source apps, at least. Hard-coding is not the way to go.
Thank you. Best wishes.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2012 @ ja_JP.UTF-8
Simple but cool script.
I use this for tweeting over SSH.
thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to syake For This Useful Post: