Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I wasn't terribly interested in Android either, for the very reason that it doesn't always get updated, and I don't think of it as being anywhere near 'real' Linux. Maybe if they started using X11 on it, along with Qt and Gtk+, then I would consider it a viable option.

The thing is, the current setup of Desktop operating systems are not very usable in a touch screen environment. Gnome-Shell is probably the best one so far (it could be argued that it looks like they designed it more for a touch interface than they did for a standard desktop.) I don't see anyone but them hitting that happy medium of usefulness and usability anytime soon.

But there is still a long way to go before you can just run desktop style applications on a tablet. Namely because the UI design needs to be so much different. So even if you get a x86 tablet that you can then run Wine on, it won't do you much good because without a keyboard and mouse, it'll be difficult to use a lot of software. In which case, it's no longer a tablet!

slaapliedje
i would use keyboard with it anyway...
and yes, tablet can even have a laptop form as there are several forms of tablet PC-s(PC means that i dont mean those mobile phones with 5+" screens without phone capabilities)

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
price is horrible
here you have 12" ips with much better specs for the same price:
http://www.pandawill.com/joojoo-tab-...ld-p49341.html
You can't say the JooJoo has better specs. It has ddr2 vs the same amount of ddr3 ram of the Zatab. A 4800 mah battery running on x86 vs an 8000 mah battery running on a much more power efficient arm processor.

Sure it can crunch pi faster but that is not what most people look for in a tablet. And its got twice the built in storage which might be great for some people, but for the people with flick and pandora or spotify chances are its not a big deal. Not even sure which has the faster gpu.

These guys are working withKubuntu Active . They base their business on Linux. I think that is fantastic and worth supporting. I think there is a much stronger chance of ever seeing Mer on this device.

In the end I think we are looking for two different things. You seem to think that a netbook flipped over on it self running WIn7 and *might* be able to run a Linux distro is where its at. Where what I am talking about is a tablet with a mobile architecture from a company willing to work with open source companies to get Linux on a consumer product.

At the moment it seems as if they are having trouble getting the internal display to work with U/Kubuntu. They'll get it sorted and push patches upstream. What are you gonna do when you run into an issue getting Linux on a no name tablet? Call China?

Originally Posted by zappa View Post
You can't say the JooJoo has better specs. It has ddr2 vs the same amount of ddr3 ram of the Zatab. A 4800 mah battery running on x86 vs an 8000 mah battery running on a much more power efficient arm processor.

Sure it can crunch pi faster but that is not what most people look for in a tablet. And its got twice the built in storage which might be great for some people, but for the people with flick and pandora or spotify chances are its not a big deal. Not even sure which has the faster gpu.

These guys are working withKubuntu Active . They base their business on Linux. I think that is fantastic and worth supporting. I think there is a much stronger chance of ever seeing Mer on this device.

In the end I think we are looking for two different things. You seem to think that a netbook flipped over on it self running WIn7 and *might* be able to run a Linux distro is where its at. Where what I am talking about is a tablet with a mobile architecture from a company willing to work with open source companies to get Linux on a consumer product.

At the moment it seems as if they are having trouble getting the internal display to work with U/Kubuntu. They'll get it sorted and push patches upstream. What are you gonna do when you run into an issue getting Linux on a no name tablet? Call China?
if i wanted to spend that amount of money i would find a x86 tablet that has all the drivers available for linux and not waste 350$ for a tablet that shouldnt be over 200$

Originally Posted by GrimyHR View Post
if i wanted to spend that amount of money i would find a x86 tablet that has all the drivers available for linux and not waste 350$ for a tablet that shouldnt be over 200$
So otherwise, you should get something like I did, the HP Touchsmarts are exactly that. They have a keyboard attached already, they are in essence a laptop with a touch screen. Sounds to me that's exactly what you need / want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchSmar...item3a74a642a6

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
So otherwise, you should get something like I did, the HP Touchsmarts are exactly that. They have a keyboard attached already, they are in essence a laptop with a touch screen. Sounds to me that's exactly what you need / want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-TouchSmar...item3a74a642a6
that is a convertible tablet, the best kind of tablet

china tablet pc online shop.

i recommed to all.

http://www.trustedbuyonline.com/:)