Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
The reason why Sports Tracker was never planned for the iT was because most users are unlikely to tote the iT around on a run/cycle due to its weight and bulk, whereas a mobile phone is usually carried for emergency purposes.
Yes, it might be too heavy for running, I admit. But for cycling, not! I actually fitted mine to a triathlon bar using the holder unit which came with the Navicore Personal navigation kit, see a picture here. In Finnish only, sorry! And the location of the GPS module is not perfect - have to come up with a better place for it next summer. It's perhaps worth of noting that I even wished to have a similar functionality to the Navicore that the Sports Tracker now provides for S60

The live broadcast would need a mobile phone, and so three devices along (only exception being the N810 owners, of course). But they would go in the cycling jersey's pockets, too.

One example of my latest trips here.

Petentic, I am to understand that you have sportstracker working on your n800? If so how? I like the mount too, good work!
Unfortunately I can't get gpstracer going and I really want to find a solution before the spring biking starts...

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by cubeist View Post
Petentic, I am to understand that you have sportstracker working on your n800?
No, it's not the Sports Tracker in my bicycle-mounted N800 but the Navicore Personal (now Wayfinder).

The Sports Tracker client software is available for Symbian S60 phones only and I was just hoping if it was developed for N8X0, too! It would be such a great application, especially for cycling, fully utilizing the big screen that N8X0 offers.

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Finland
Just to let you know, I'm doing a sports-tracker like program for IT as my thesis work. I've registered a project on maemo garage. There aren't any files yet, as the whole project is in such an early phase.

As it will be my thesis work, it won't bee to much of a community based project at first. I'll be able to get bug reports and feature suggestions, though, but not software patches (oh, it would be so much easier the other way around :-P)

After the thesis is done, of course also this will change.

But anyhow, keep tuned, things will progress during the spring. It's good to know that there is demand for the software, helps to keep me inspired :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to fintux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Originally Posted by fintux View Post
As it will be my thesis work, it won't bee to much of a community based project at first. I'll be able to get bug reports and feature suggestions, though, but not software patches (oh, it would be so much easier the other way around :-P)
You asked for feature suggestions so lets start with easy one

I would like to see support for FRWDs sport trackers http://www.frwd.fi/ in this software. There are Symbian application for bluetooth model of the FRWD-device but I would like to see map and real time heart rate + EPOC while using my Internet tablet.

It could be very hard to make it working properly because they haven't released any documentation of the connection between Symbian software and FRWD-unit. At least it's bluetooth connection but it might need some bluetooth analysers to learn all things needed to make this working.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Originally Posted by fintux View Post
Just to let you know, I'm doing a sports-tracker like program for IT as my thesis work. I've registered a project on maemo garage. There aren't any files yet, as the whole project is in such an early phase.

After the thesis is done, of course also this will change.

But anyhow, keep tuned, things will progress during the spring. It's good to know that there is demand for the software, helps to keep me inspired :-)
fintux, would you be keen to work with me on developing the sports tracker that you have in mind? I'll have a full set of functionality requirements and specifications that you can use sometime next week.

I'm actively involved in motorsports and will be able to provide the required testing, feedback and support.

Do drop me a PM if you're keen to collaborate on this one

I don't know if you already checked the description on the garage page, but the software will support the heart rate monitor from alive technologies, as it uses a bluetooth connection, and I have all the necessary documentation for it.

At a quick glance, I was unable to find any such information about the frwd product (seems to me that it might collet the data to some memory card or something like that).

Anyhow, a plug-in architecture is in consideration for the program, so that one could use custom data sources. This is not yet thoroughly thought, however, so I don't yet know what kind of data will be implemented. Probably something like receiving events with time stamps, that could have some sort of data type and description added (for example, you could then add your own heart rate monitor, or a monitor of a completely different kind, like a temperature sensor or what ever).

BTW, I would prefer to have the feature requests & bug reports into the garage project, so that they'll stay neatly in one place. Unfortunately one needs to have an account to post new feature requests or bug reports, but the registration is simple..

Hi everyone,

I have now made the first preview release of the Sports Tracker for maemo. It has currently support for storing the tracks in GPX format, and displaying the most important statistic during recording (elapsed time, current speed, average speed, distance).

For the next release, I will try to make the analysis of old, stored records. Please look at Maemo Garage. Also read the release notes for more information.

Especially note that the program needs the maptile loader to be installed.

I've done the basic testing for it, but there might be some corner cases where it does not work correctly, so therefore I recommend to do a little testing track before taking it to a real use. Bugs can be reported through the garage bug tracker.

Stay tuned for following releases and enjoy the testing!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fintux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
I have noticed it yesterday night, very cool one.. can't wait you implement all of the features!

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Great! I'll try it as soon as my Noo8 finishes charging.

Hope this will help me get rid of Nokia sports tracker which is connecting to 3G network each time I open it (despite the live upload has been disabled), sucking my remaining credit