Active Topics

My N800 wont turn on. I tried removing and resetting the battery. With the charger plugged in, the "charging" icon screen will go blank and the logo screen will come up, go blank white, then conks out.

Try reflashing, perhaps your kernel has got corrupted somehow.

Hello I have a similar problem, after removing the Maemo map program (to reload it) I shut the machine down and restarted (Yes, I have since read the some of them should NEVER be restarted, quite stupid to me but...) when i restarted the unit and it would not get beyond the nokia screen, shuts down after about 15 seconds. I have searched around the forum, and found some advice. It mainly talks about reseting/reflashing/ going into r&d modes and the like... But the machine will not boot, nor go into the reflash mode, it reboots over and over when plugged in. is there anything i can do?? i have left the battery out for 5 days per one of the posts, but still will not reboot.
el_vato

To get the flasher to work (to either reflash, or to enable r&d mode/no-lifeguard-reset flags) you must ensure that the machine is initially completely off. A good way to do this is to pull the battery, then stick it back in (no charger attached at this point!). Then connect the usb cable, set the flasher sw running on your Linux box, waiting and looking for the connection, then finally plug in the charger and it should enter flashing mode.

@lad: I'd just reflash the kernel (see the flasher usage page on the wiki for details).

@el_vato: Try enabling R&D mode and disabling the lifeguard-reset flag, then boot and uninstall whatever it was you installed that's breaking things.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland, Europe
I had the same problem some time ago. What I did was while charging I connected my N800 to my PC with the usb cable, turned the tablet on while holding the swap key, had the Software Update Wizard running on my PC and the latest Diablo image on my hard drive of course. Then as soon as the USB icon appeared on the screen I flashed it. Simple as that.

The thing is you have to be really quick about it, I mean using the wizard, otherwise the tablet will reboot again.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, Windows way is a bit of a pita, I've never got it to work - Windows always messes it up by wanting to install drivers for the new device (i.e. in flashing mode), by which time the n8x0 has moved past the flashing stage and is booting.